Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2014, 12:48 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Changed topic to K5ii or K5iis for concert and low light work....

SO I have scrapped the K3 idea and going for more affordable K5ii. Just cant decide on the iis or ii. I think the fact that I shoot wide open often and in low light the AA filter would be good to have. Then I hear the iis gives resolution comparable to a 24 mp, so the ii doesn't?

I just fear that with this upgrade I will invest in a minor upgrade.

I read the K5ii has a slower processor than the K-01, which I find odd.

So torn....so torn....

02-04-2014, 12:59 PM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rzarector Quote
Then I hear the iis gives resolution comparable to a 24 mp, so the ii doesn't?
As far as my understanding, the visible difference is when shooting with high quality optics. If you pair the IIs with the legendary limited lenses, you would probably see a little difference at 100% crop at base ISO. As far as low light, I'm pretty sure that they both would give you about the same results due to the higher ISO.

It's up to you if you want to spend the extra money (around $100)

I went for the K5II due to the BF deal.
02-04-2014, 01:21 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

The BF deal prompted me to upgrade my camera too. It's a good decision, but it's far, far more advanced than my k-x.
02-04-2014, 01:29 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by agsy Quote
As far as my understanding, the visible difference is when shooting with high quality optics. If you pair the IIs with the legendary limited lenses, you would probably see a little difference at 100% crop at base ISO. As far as low light, I'm pretty sure that they both would give you about the same results due to the higher ISO.

It's up to you if you want to spend the extra money (around $100)

I went for the K5II due to the BF deal.
I use the 55* 1.4 a ton, a sigma 17-50 2.8, and the 40mm XS.

02-04-2014, 01:30 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I'll add my 2 cents in here...no matter what camera you choose you really can't go wrong with any flavors of the K-5 or the K-3 coming from your present camera.
I will say without hesitation though that the K-3 is clearly the best camera that you can buy right now but do you need it?
The real question is how much do you want to spend or can afford to spend?

I originally purchased the K-3 with the 18-135 Kit lens and found I wasn't using the 18-135 lens very much. Since the camera was defective I returned it to Amazon for a full refund and decided that for my use, a K-5 would be perfect instead (after learning a lot on this forum).
I found a like-new K-5 with only 108 shutter clicks for $500 so I had a surplus of about $1000 to spend on lenses. Plus I already have a battery grip for my K-7 which works perfectly on my K-5 (that is a couple of hundred bucks right there).

I have since discovered the Limited lenses and I am hooked! IMO a great lens can make a not so great camera, great!
I'd rather build up a quality lens collection right now. There will always be a bigger & better camera version coming out. I'll buy the previous discounted model every time.
I have also noticed that the ISO setting on the K-5 goes down to 80 vs. 100 on the K-3. It's not a major difference but it's nice to know that it's there.
02-04-2014, 01:36 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd love to do a comparison personally.

I found this on dpreview. The page also has two links for two full size samples from each camera so you can compare. I can't find the information regarding the lens that was used.