Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2014, 12:36 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Which one: K-5 or K5ii

I have a 200d currently and a k-01. I want to upgrade to the best camera for my kind of shooting: concerts

k-3 is already ruled out (sorta) due to file size of the images, hearing noisy at higher iso, and price.

Ideally it would have not terrible noise at higher ISOs (1600 to 3200).
I'd be using lenses: 55 1.4 DA*, sigma 17-50 2.8 and renting a 50-130 every now and then.

I shoot in small clubs withs lots of RED led. Fast moving objects, in low light at usually higher iso. Typically wide open on any and all lenses.

What do you think?

Right now I am thinking the K5. Faster shutter lag than the K-5ii. Not as pricey. And I hear better at higher iso and fast action in low light.

any help or advice would be great. thanks!

01-17-2014, 12:41 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rzarector Quote
Right now I am thinking the K5. Faster shutter lag than the K-5ii. Not as pricey. And I hear better at higher iso and fast action in low light.
The K-5 II is the same camera as the K-5, except its autofocus is better in low light. All the hardware and specs are otherwise identical.

Are you thinking about the K-3?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-17-2014, 12:45 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I was worried that high iso with low light on the K3 was sub-par to the K5 or K5ii. Given the higher 24MP. More pixels gave it more noise.

Also the shutter delay on the 5ii v 5 is over 100ms, how much of a factor is that with low light and fast objects, I'd imagine it could be bad.

I am no photo pro, only comparing stats and review info.
01-17-2014, 12:50 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Sorry, I'm dense, you are saying the K-5ii focuses better in low light than the K-5?

01-17-2014, 01:00 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter

Sorry, I'm dense, you are saying the K-5ii focuses better in low light than the K-5?
Yes - SAFOX X is faster to set focus, goes to -3EV and the center AF point is precise to f/2.8 so it's better in several ways. The AF-c setting sounds like it's updating more often than my K-5 so its skill there should also improve. The rear screen is nicer too with its gap-free design removing ghosts, but I never felt the K-5 screen was bad. I've taken shots with the II that my K-5 dare not go - but if you get an excellent price on the 'classic' you won't be disappointed. I've noticed no shutter-lag difference personally.

The live-view screen showed me nothing to focus on but it did excellent work on this scene! Shot 1-handed at 1/13s so not perfect, but it sure amazed me.

Last edited by jimr-pdx; 01-17-2014 at 01:06 PM.
01-17-2014, 02:01 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Note that the K-3 has a still more sophisticated SAFOX XI design with more AF points, detailed focus-hold adjustments (to keep from refocusing on another object) and three f/2.8-sensitive points - but it still stops at -3EV in 'absolute' terms (meaning test results at -3.000EV aren't consistent but much better than most cameras).
01-17-2014, 04:26 PM   #7
Pentaxian

K5II has a different AF low light sensor, sees in pitch dark. K5II has overall improved AF, so it will be a better choice.
K-3 is a superior camera, and its theoretical a tad 'lesser' low light performance will not be visible to your eyes at all.
If you can, grab a K-3 for it will serve you at least for half a decade. Current K-3 deals with BH Photo are awesome.
01-18-2014, 08:34 AM   #8
Site Supporter

No doubt that the K5ii would be the best choice due to the better low light focusing capabilities.
I went from a K10 to the K5iis so I can't directly compare, but I can say you won't be disappointed. I am so happy with the K5IIS that I don't plan on updating until a couple of models in the future!
Good luck with your choice

Randy

01-18-2014, 09:48 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

If you use autofocus and shoot in low-light regularly (or even less regularly), the AF upgrade could be a big deal. The K-5 classic is not only slower in dim light, but it also tends to front-focus with some artificial light sources.
01-19-2014, 12:51 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by starbase218 Quote
If you use autofocus and shoot in low-light regularly (or even less regularly), the AF upgrade could be a big deal. The K-5 classic is not only slower in dim light, but it also tends to front-focus with some artificial light sources.
Plus one
01-28-2014, 05:42 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
As of now I'm leaning towards a K-3. Mainly for the quick AF.

Any thoughts on K-5 v K-5ii for low light?

I 90% shoot concerts. so that gives you a rough idea. terrible light mainly. but sometimes something good.
01-28-2014, 05:51 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As of now I'm leaning towards a K-3. Mainly for the quick AF.

Any thoughts on K-5 v K-5ii for low light?

I 90% shoot concerts. so that gives you a rough idea. terrible light mainly. but sometimes something good.
I'd get a K5 II. It will focus just about as well in low light as the K3. The biggest benefit of the K3 is better tracking -- well, and smaller auto focus points (and more of them). At high iso, the photos would look the same between the K5 II and K3. At low iso you would see some improvement in resolution -- nice for landscapes, but probably not particularly important to you.

So, yes, I would get a K5 II for you purposes.
01-29-2014, 06:13 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I'd get a K5 II. It will focus just about as well in low light as the K3. The biggest benefit of the K3 is better tracking -- well, and smaller auto focus points (and more of them). At high iso, the photos would look the same between the K5 II and K3. At low iso you would see some improvement in resolution -- nice for landscapes, but probably not particularly important to you.

So, yes, I would get a K5 II for you purposes.
+1

Grab a K-5ii before they all disappear. You'd gain very little by going for a K-5iis. The K-5ii is very happy up to ISO6400 and really does focus well in near pitch dark.
02-03-2014, 09:46 AM   #14
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you all! I recently started a indiegogo and I am at 85% of my goal! SO CLOSE!!!

The fundraising amount will come in at just about 1090 total after fees and such, so the K3 would require some out of picket spending. All in all I was thinking the 5ii would be about 700 or so then I could get a fun fisheye or save a bit more and get a the tammy zoom thats 2.8 70-200mm. Really the next lens I need is a good far zoom fixed at 2.8. The tammy almost half the sigma, and the pentax I have rented before and have issues with AF at 200. Just seems to hunt. But if I pull out a wee bit its like magic.

I think that is my best choice all in all. Get the K-5ii, not the S added on. I really dont get the S factor of this camera, I get it removes a filter that may cause more issues with shirt patterns moire and what not but I guess that would only really be a factor for portrait photographers. Since the 5ii would have it, should be no issues there.

I am really torn in all aspects. The K3 just seems to be the cat's meow and have every thing I really need to be future proof for a few years at least. Which is what I am hoping for. I really want to step up my game on concert shots here and think maybe the k3 higher MP may get me that. But I am not sure as most people here seem to think the difference would be barely noticeable to most anyone as far as quality goes.

Right now I am primarily a K-01 user and my iso maxes out really at around 3200 with significant noise. still working on my noise reduction LR skills. Thanks for all the help. I am terrible at making big decisions like this. Having this much cash to upgrade scares me that I will make a bad decision and regret which ever one I go with.

Thanks all!

Oh does the K5ii have a grip option?
02-03-2014, 04:59 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Oh does the K5ii have a grip option?
Yes, it does. It's the same grip for the K-7 and K-5.
Pentax D-BG4.

If possible, get the original and not a cheap knockoff, because you want camera properly weather sealed with a grip on it.