Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2014, 04:45 AM   #1

K-x viewfinder lens coating problem.

Somehow I managed to wear off the anti-reflective coating on my K-x and now the center is fuzzy and it is very difficult to take photos with manual focus. Is there any solution to clean it? I am searching all day on ebay but I can't seem to find a replacement part. I'm in Albania so calling Pentax is out of option.

01-19-2014, 06:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wait what?
The viewfinder, the piece that you look through, has a problem, right? But what is the problem, is it that the coatings were scratched off or that there is grime on it?
If there is grime, you can use one of those cloths made for lens cleaning and gently wipe it. You can also adjust the diopter to make it more easily accessible.
If the glass is damaged, then there isn't much you can do, other than damage it even more. You might be able to buy a broken K-x and transplant the viewfinder, but I doubt that is worth the hassle. Sending it in for repairs would also probably cost more than another K-x. Or even K-r. Heck, might be worth the stretch and get a K-30, a noticeable step up. And I think the K-30 has pentaprism, instead of the pentamirror of the K-x.
01-19-2014, 08:34 AM   #3

Original Poster
The K-x eyepiece rear lens (Part Code: L7), seems scratched. To my knowledge, I always used microfiber cloth and some cleaning solution which I use for my prescript glasses. It seems that it had some coating and the coating is worn off at the center of the lens. If I try to see from the angles, it is very clear. So it is not the diopter. Buying another camera just for that, is not an option. It would cost me a monthly salary. I sent an email to Pentax representative in UK and I'm waiting for a reply. I haven't tried yet toothpaste or baking soda with water to polish it. I'll look into that if no other option is viable.

Last edited by nikiu; 01-19-2014 at 10:01 AM.
01-19-2014, 11:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I would advise against using toothpaste and such. Can you maybe post a photograph of this? Just crop the photo so we can see as closely as possible.

01-19-2014, 02:57 PM   #5

Original Poster
I forgot how difficult is to take a clear picture of something, without your camera. I tried with 2 mobile phones but I couldn't make it visible enough. In the mean time, my wife who is a chemical engineer saw me going back and forth and asked me what was wrong. When I explained her, she suggested I try rub it with clear alcohol. I was against it but she insisted and she took the camera and cleaned it her self with a ear cleaning cotton tip. She explained to me that the clear (colorless) alcohol might solve the ingredient used for the anti-reflective coating. The she collected any residue with another clean cotton tip and now the eyepiece lens looks better. Now it's dark and my room light is not good enough but I'll try to take some pictures tomorrow if the problem is still there. Also, she says that she has some more delicate solution at her job and she might try tomorrow (she works as a film restorer). I guess I've got nothing to lose.
01-19-2014, 04:08 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nikiu Quote
I forgot how difficult is to take a clear picture of something, without your camera. I tried with 2 mobile phones but I couldn't make it visible enough. In the mean time, my wife who is a chemical engineer saw me going back and forth and asked me what was wrong. When I explained her, she suggested I try rub it with clear alcohol. I was against it but she insisted and she took the camera and cleaned it her self with a ear cleaning cotton tip. She explained to me that the clear (colorless) alcohol might solve the ingredient used for the anti-reflective coating. The she collected any residue with another clean cotton tip and now the eyepiece lens looks better. Now it's dark and my room light is not good enough but I'll try to take some pictures tomorrow if the problem is still there. Also, she says that she has some more delicate solution at her job and she might try tomorrow (she works as a film restorer). I guess I've got nothing to lose.
Sounds like you are in pretty good hands.
01-20-2014, 11:21 AM   #7

Original Poster
OK, finally the eyepiece rear lens is crystal clear. I don't think it had any anti-scratch coating beside the anti-reflective coating so I expect it to last a few weeks/months. Only 98% ethyl alcohol was used, although my wife suggested we could use Perchloroethylene as well, which should be much better. As long as we cleared it with ethyl alcohol, there is no need to dig it deeper. Thanks guys, after going crazy for the whole weekend, I can proudly say that the case is closed.