Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2014, 01:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Anyone Else Miss Image Comparison?

Hi.

I have been looking at manuals online, and it looks like the K-50 (also K-5, K-30, K-3, etc) do not have the Image Comparison feature that older cameras like K-x have. What's up with that?

Now, I just need to convince myself that Image Comparison is better than an extra e-dial, TAv mode, and weather sealing put together, and I'll be all set...

01-22-2014, 01:51 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mblanc Quote
Hi.

I have been looking at manuals online, and it looks like the K-50 (also K-5, K-30, K-3, etc) do not have the Image Comparison feature that older cameras like K-x have. What's up with that?

Now, I just need to convince myself that Image Comparison is better than an extra e-dial, TAv mode, and weather sealing put together, and I'll be all set...
With K-5 on you can put as few as 4 images you want to compare on a page to view, and when viewing an image the front dial lets you scroll between prior and next image at the same magnification.
Extra e-dial MO BETTA'!

Edit: at the current price points a K5IIs body has more to offer than a K-50 IMO.

Last edited by crewl1; 01-22-2014 at 02:12 PM.
01-22-2014, 06:17 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I rarely chimp in the camera, unless I shoot my foot or something.
01-23-2014, 09:30 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I rarely chimp in the camera, unless I shoot my foot or something.
Depends on what you shoot. For various types of photo it is absolutely essential, especially when the final picture will be highly cropped. It is also the only way to confirm that you have got good focus.

I used to find it extremely useful on the K-r when shooting night time photos with long lenses to find the optimum focus point and also for astrophotography.

The K-30 and K-3 still have a way of comparing but it is somewhat limited - you can flip between photos with the front dial and the zoom level maintained. This is helpful but somewhat limited compared to the K-r's side by side comparison because:
1. You can only compare a photo with the next or previous in one step, so you cannot select a candidate and compare to several others - you have to 'remember' what the candidate looks like and then scroll back or forward a few pictures to compare with other pictures.
2. Although it maintains the zoom level it does not maintain pan, or rather it does not allow to compare features that are offset between one photo and another.

I have found it a considerable handicap but I had already got used to this handicap with the K-30 so I did not feel the impact that much by not having it on the K-3.

01-23-2014, 10:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-5 has side by side compare.
01-23-2014, 12:00 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
The K-5 has side by side compare.
K5II and K3 don't have this anymore.