Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2008, 02:55 PM   #61
Inactive Account

Hello Striker, here is the beauty of 28 yrs backward compatibility and SR on a Pentax body. I took these pictures one w/o the SR and the other with SR. My lens was a 28yrs old Vivitar zoom 70-205 mm and the shutter speed I believe is 1/13th.

Cheers,

Rene

w/o SR

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii211/ReneR27/BoyetandViVItarTest054.jpg

with SR

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii211/ReneR27/BoyetandViVItarTest053.jpg

Last edited by Rener; 04-14-2008 at 03:37 PM.
04-14-2008, 04:30 PM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
DxO Optics Pro does these same "mathematically trivial operations". If you think DxO gives you "a better lens" then PTLens does too. No magic will add resolution or correct focus or improve DOF control.
rparmar, I must have stepped onto your foot here. I apologize for that.

However, I have seen what DxO did to Kit lens images (samples are found elsewhere here in the forum). As if you replaced the kit lens for a 40mm Ltd. BTW, I don't care about geometry correction or RAW conversion.

EDIT:
I looked up the sample: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/201686-post14.html
It is by Rickster and now offline. Maybe, Rickster can bring the sample online again. It really made a bold impression. After seeing, you'll drop your claim that DxO and PTLens are similiar programs.

And you are plain wrong. Mathematically non-trivial operations can mostly entirely undo defects from exactly known flaws of an optical system. This is what is done with Hubble, for instance. It does increase the resolution. Unfortunately, it requires intimate knowledge of the flaw and therefore can only apply to particular body/lens combinations which were measured extensively before. One example is the so-called deconvolution operation.

I agree, DxO applies to a few lenses and the K10D only. But where it applies, it does do magic and renders PTLens a kid's toy. Maybe, just try it out...

And because the OP only had the kit lens with K10D, I recommended it to him to get a "smell" of better glass w/o having to pay for it.

Last edited by falconeye; 04-14-2008 at 04:42 PM. Reason: added reference to Rickster's post
04-14-2008, 06:08 PM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
And you are plain wrong. Mathematically non-trivial operations can mostly entirely undo defects from exactly known flaws of an optical system.
Did I claim otherwise?

I agree, DxO applies to a few lenses and the K10D only. But where it applies, it does do magic and renders PTLens a kid's toy. Maybe, just try it out...
What? And be forced back to the kit lens just to use some expensive software? I am not sure what sort of sense that makes. It would also help if you would explain how DxO is better instead of using the word "magic" repeatedly. The reviews I have read say it is great for precisely the same reasons PTLens is great.

If the OP has only the kit lens and $200 I would not recommend that the first thing he do is put all of it into software. But that isn't even the scenario... he is looking into which system to buy and has specifically stated he will be getting more then the kit lens. If he does, chances are DxO will be completely useless to him, because it will not support his chosen lens.

In any case I can be entirely sure of one thing: DxO will not change the kit lens into a 40mm limited through some magical software transformation. The lens will not suddenly get lighter, several times smaller and fixed in focal length. Neither will it gain a stop or more of speed and suddenly be built like a small jewel. Nor will it change how the world looks through the viewfinder thus impacting the photographic process where it matters most... at the photographer.

DxO will, however, drain the pocketbook almost as much as the 40mm limited.
04-14-2008, 10:07 PM   #64
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DxO test link - Albert's verson

Here is the thread with the same name that I put up in the software forum. In my opinion, as a software guy, DxO does a fabulous job with the five lenses it has worked out so far. I will, however check into PTLens as well, as DxO does not yet cover my DA 12-24, nor does it cover any of my older lenses.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-processing-software/21418-dxo-working-pentax-last.html

EDIT: I just examined the PTLens/DxO comparison test at DPReviews. The DxO verson tested was v 1.1 - and my tests were performed with version 5.0.4 which has the five listed lenses. The lenses are the kit 18-55, 50-200, the DA 50 macro, the DA* 16-50 and the DA* 50-135. I tested only the 16-50, and will run the 50-135 through later when I get through finding out how to use my 400 and my 100 macro.

The review specifically stated that DxO does not correct the dreaded purple fringing. It might not have in version 1.1, but it certainly does now. This is not to say that I will not try the latest version of PTLens for use with my DA 12-24. The price is cheap enough. They cover a lot more Pentax lenses, but unfortunately for me, only the 12-24 is in my arsenal. I am still reserving judgement.

Last edited by Canada_Rockies; 04-14-2008 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Comment re DxO version
04-15-2008, 03:22 AM   #65
Pentaxian

What? And be forced back to the kit lens just to use some expensive software? I am not sure what sort of sense that makes. It would also help if you would explain how DxO is better instead of using the word "magic" repeatedly.

If the OP has only the kit lens and $200 I would not recommend that the first thing he do is put all of it into software. But that isn't even the scenario... he is looking into which system to buy and has specifically stated he will be getting more then the kit lens. If he does, chances are DxO will be completely useless to him, because it will not support his chosen lens.
@rparmar

First, you are right. My statement about DxO didn't apply to the OP. It was in reply to Ken T who only has K10D/kit. It is $169, not $200. And a test drive is free. Ken T already acknowledged the hint.

Then you stepped in and complained about my hint in saying that PTLens is equally good and a lot cheaper. It was you introducing the word "magic" and I used it to please you.

I could explain why DxO is fundamentally different from PTLens (beyond what I already explained) and a lot better where it applies but this would be a 3 page long mathematical treatment in optical physics and be OT.

My link (Rickster) showed the effect for the kit lens. But if you own K10D/kit you may run the test with both DxO trial and PTLens and show us that both gave equally good improvements. Or change your mind and tell us

Canada_Rockies has some other nice samples online. I recommend everybody interested in the topic to visit his thread.

Because this is now all OT with respect to the original subject I will refrain myself from further comments on the subject now.
04-15-2008, 06:50 AM   #66
Veteran Member

I am at a loss to understand your antagonistic attitude in this discussion. You have said I am "plain wrong" without justification, referred to PTLens as "a kid's toy" and as proof of superiority referred to a message with missing images. I am not sure what drives this defensiveness as I am only trying to be helpful by suggesting a product that in many ways does more (in terms of lens support) and at a drastically cheaper price. (I acknowledged the $169 for DxO in an earlier post, BTW, for some reason this became $199 in my head. Another nit picked.). You say I "stepped in and complained " so I leave it up to others to judge whether the following, my original post you took so badly, is "complaining":

PTLens is only 15 bucks, has a free trial, comes with both stand-alone and plugin versions and does everything I need: one-touch lens distortion correction plus perspective, vignetting, de-fish and CA. It's a no-brainer.
PTLens has a free trial as well, but unlike DxO it does not require collection of personal information. I recommend people try that and ask themselves if they need to spend ten times as much. I am sure DxO does more for those that need it and are stuck with only the kit lens. Or maybe simply buy both. (For those on a Mac there is also LensFix CI, but I have had no chance to use it.)

Because this is now all OT with respect to the original subject I will refrain myself from further comments on the subject now.
Me too.
04-17-2008, 08:24 PM   #67
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I did it

I went ahead and bought a used K10D for $500. Thanks for everyone's help.
04-17-2008, 08:46 PM   #68
Veteran Member

congrats. Now you can progress to LBA. I recommend the new 35mm ltd macro to start

04-26-2008, 01:06 AM   #69
Veteran Member

PTLens is only 15 bucks, has a free trial, comes with both stand-alone and plugin versions and does everything I need: one-touch lens distortion correction plus perspective, vignetting, de-fish and CA. It's a no-brainer.
Thank you Rparmar.
04-26-2008, 03:44 AM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by striker Quote
I went ahead and bought a used K10D for $500. Thanks for everyone's help.
You will not be sorry for this purchase
There are a lot of occasions where you can not use a tripod and the shake reduction in this camera will save many images. This was taken, hand held, at 1/8 of a second... And I don't put any stock at all in the difference between shots with high ISO on any particular brand. The majority of shots are put through Noise Ninja or equivalent programs anyhoo.

Last edited by KrisK10D; 04-26-2008 at 03:55 AM.