Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2014, 11:03 AM   #16
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
You have friends with Pentax!?!

Did they say why they like the K-50 better? Is it the lighter weight? Snappy performance? Features?

Personally I prefer the quiet shutter sound of my k-5 to the louder k-30/k-50 or even of my K-3.
I'll ask him why he prefers the K-50.

01-23-2014, 12:09 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My husband has the K-30 (precursor to the K-50) and I have the K-3. I love my K-3 and wouldn't want to give it up. However, if I were making the decision again, I would weigh the pros and cons a little differently.

I'm relatively new to photography and the K-3 is my third camera body (after starting with the Sony NEX-5R and 6 less than a year ago). There were some limitations with the NEX system (e.g. small range of lenses, especially at longer focal lengths) that made me want to get a traditional DSLR.

I picked the K-3 over the K-5 II mainly for the K-3's greater potential regarding animal (including wildlife) photography due its 24 MP (versus 16MP), sensor, more advanced autofocus and faster continuous shooting.

What I hadn't really focused on (pun intended) is that, at least in my view (pun intended again), that 24MP sensor requires better camera technique, e.g. steady hand (to reduce camera shake), getting the exposure right in the camera whenever possible, using ISO judiciously (i.e., lowest ISO possible in a given light situation given the shutter speed and aperture you need), seeking out better light so that you can use lower ISO etc. If I don't get these things right, then I have less-than-sharp and/or noisy images - I can try to fix the noise in post-processing, but that requires skill (and software, too).

So I sometimes feel like my NEX is a better camera when I don't want to try as hard and I when I want to get a good shot, suitable for posting online - especially in lower light situations or where there's a lot of movement close-at-hand (e.g., street photography at dusk).

But of course, I want to be a better photographer and I value the discipline that the K-3 is requiring of me. So I use it whenever I can and try to focus on technique. But that is taking a fair investment of my time (which I don't mind, just saying). And of course, those extra MP come in handy when I need to crop.

It sounds like you're NOT a novice photographer - just relatively new to digital, so the K-3 might be the right camera for you if you're willing to invest some time in brushing up on technique and learning some of the nuances of how digital photography technique might differ from film technique. And when you want the grab-and-go option, you could try grabbing the K-50 ...
01-23-2014, 01:11 PM   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by frogoutofwater Quote
My husband has the K-30 (precursor to the K-50) and I have the K-3. I love my K-3 and wouldn't want to give it up. However, if I were making the decision again, I would weigh the pros and cons a little differently.

I'm relatively new to photography and the K-3 is my third camera body (after starting with the Sony NEX-5R and 6 less than a year ago). There were some limitations with the NEX system (e.g. small range of lenses, especially at longer focal lengths) that made me want to get a traditional DSLR.

I picked the K-3 over the K-5 II mainly for the K-3's greater potential regarding animal (including wildlife) photography due its 24 MP (versus 16MP), sensor, more advanced autofocus and faster continuous shooting.

What I hadn't really focused on (pun intended) is that, at least in my view (pun intended again), that 24MP sensor requires better camera technique, e.g. steady hand (to reduce camera shake), getting the exposure right in the camera whenever possible, using ISO judiciously (i.e., lowest ISO possible in a given light situation given the shutter speed and aperture you need), seeking out better light so that you can use lower ISO etc. If I don't get these things right, then I have less-than-sharp and/or noisy images - I can try to fix the noise in post-processing, but that requires skill (and software, too).

So I sometimes feel like my NEX is a better camera when I don't want to try as hard and I when I want to get a good shot, suitable for posting online - especially in lower light situations or where there's a lot of movement close-at-hand (e.g., street photography at dusk).

But of course, I want to be a better photographer and I value the discipline that the K-3 is requiring of me. So I use it whenever I can and try to focus on technique. But that is taking a fair investment of my time (which I don't mind, just saying). And of course, those extra MP come in handy when I need to crop.

It sounds like you're NOT a novice photographer - just relatively new to digital, so the K-3 might be the right camera for you if you're willing to invest some time in brushing up on technique and learning some of the nuances of how digital photography technique might differ from film technique. And when you want the grab-and-go option, you could try grabbing the K-50 ...
Many thanks for a very well stated and informative response. You confirmed what I had suspected. It sounds like when I changed from the Canon SLR I had at the age of 13 to the Nikon and advanced lenses. The much better camera showed me how poor I was as a photographer and pointed out many faults the other camera wasn't discerning enough to bring to the forefront. In fact, for a fair amount of time my lesser Canon produced the better output because it matched my expertise. Using the K-50 I feel it is relatively easy to get really good shots fairly easily once I adjusted to the settings.
01-23-2014, 02:58 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WVRICK Quote
Many thanks for a very well stated and informative response. You confirmed what I had suspected. It sounds like when I changed from the Canon SLR I had at the age of 13 to the Nikon and advanced lenses. The much better camera showed me how poor I was as a photographer and pointed out many faults the other camera wasn't discerning enough to bring to the forefront. In fact, for a fair amount of time my lesser Canon produced the better output because it matched my expertise. Using the K-50 I feel it is relatively easy to get really good shots fairly easily once I adjusted to the settings.
Whichever camera you decide to buy, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

01-23-2014, 03:03 PM   #20
Pentaxian

I have a pretty easy test, if you have to ask which is better, then the answer is almost always going to be the K-50. If you "needed" a K-3, you would already know why. I'm not being rude, so hopefully not taken that way. I always think it's like someone asks for advice on buying a car to go to the store and wants to know if a Ferrari is the right choice: no. It is a "more capable car" but takes a much more expert hand at the controls, and it has fewer features geared towards beginners. Save the money difference between the bodies, and buy a nice lens or two.
01-23-2014, 03:10 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know if my experience will help you. But. I moved from a high end point and shoot to the K30 one year ago. It has taken some time for me to learn how to shoot Manual. The old P&S sucked compared to,the Pentax. Now I have three Pentax Limited Primes, an excellent Sigma 50, and Pentax 18-135 and 55-300. I think my photos have improved due to the lenses. The K30 has more potential for me to explore. Although I admit to wanting a K3, I doubt it,would help me in the short run. The lenses help me more. Someday soon I may buy a K3 because I do need a backup camera body, which will become my K30. Or, I might buy a K50 so my learning curve does not descend into the nether regions.

Now I have lens investment much greater than the camera body. This is LBA at work. There are two additional Pentax lenses I must have.
01-23-2014, 03:10 PM   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
I have a pretty easy test, if you have to ask which is better, then the answer is almost always going to be the K-50. If you "needed" a K-3, you would already know why. I'm not being rude, so hopefully not taken that way. I always think it's like someone asks for advice on buying a car to go to the store and wants to know if a Ferrari is the right choice: no. It is a "more capable car" but takes a much more expert hand at the controls, and it has fewer features geared towards beginners. Save the money difference between the bodies, and buy a nice lens or two.
I agree totally. I would be better at this point getting really good glass and a good K-50. That way, when I do upgrade I will have the good glass already.

01-23-2014, 03:25 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by waterfall Quote
This is LBA at work. There are two additional Pentax lenses I must have.
Two more lenses? You're funny. I bet a year from now your lens inventory is 3 times what it is now and you will still be saying there's two more...
01-23-2014, 04:26 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

our lens inventory is 3 times what it is now and you will still be saying there's two more...
There is always room for two more

Steve
01-23-2014, 04:32 PM   #25
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
There is always room for two more

Steve
i already know at least five lenses I want.
01-23-2014, 04:48 PM   #26
Forum Member

Original Poster
OK, I think I have decided on another K-50 to prevent camera envy in the household and I think it will serve my needs now and in the future at least for a couple of years. With that said I have saved some money. I have the Pentax SMCP DA 50 1.8, Pentax SMCP DA 18-135 and a Tamron SP AF 70-200 2.8. Can anyone suggest a good street lens in the 18-70 range or another suggestion?
01-23-2014, 05:04 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WVRICK Quote
OK, I think I have decided on another K-50 to prevent camera envy in the household and I think it will serve my needs now and in the future at least for a couple of years. With that said I have saved some money. I have the Pentax SMCP DA 50 1.8, Pentax SMCP DA 18-135 and a Tamron SP AF 70-200 2.8. Can anyone suggest a good street lens in the 18-70 range or another suggestion?
You already have it, it's called DA 18-135
01-23-2014, 05:12 PM   #28
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elpolodiablo Quote
You already have it, it's called DA 18-135
See, this is why I ask you guys, you save me lots of cash :-).
01-23-2014, 08:15 PM   #29
Pentaxian

The DA21 is a very very addictive little bugger, but since you only go to 18, you may want to give the 15 a go. They are quite reasonable used here on the marketplace. The good thing about that strategy is you can sell it along later for little loss, and try another. Keep trying until you find THAT lens, whichever it may be for you. If you want to stick to zooms, I'd put the Sigma 10-20 in your inventory (if you get the slower one, it's less than the difference between K-50/K-3.

One more thought, if you like fast lenses, the Sigma 30/1.4 is pretty nice, not too spendy. I like to walk around with my 18-135 and my Sigma 30 in the bag in case I go inside in the dark. I usually feel 50's are too long inside.

Maybe consider joining the "Single In" challenge, post one photo each day with a single lens. It helps narrow down what you really want out of a lens. Start with your 18-135, it's a great way to introduce yourself to the challenge.
01-23-2014, 09:17 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Two more lenses? You're funny. I bet a year from now your lens inventory is 3 times what it is now and you will still be saying there's two more...
You are,correct. Already have my LBA focus on them 21 LTD and the 300. The lenses will endure long after the K3 is replaced.