Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2014, 12:58 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Shutter release from Android phone

is it possible to connect a 3.5mm to 2.5mm cable from your phone to the camera and with an android app (i.e. dslr remote) to be able to release the camera's shutter or isnt it that simple?
i have a wireless remote but u need to be in the front for that one.i just want a cable one for those long exposure shots.been using the 2s timer so far which does the job so i dont really want to spend any money on a remote.

01-24-2014, 01:08 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Cable releases are cheap cheap cheap.
I bought one from eBay for about $3
You can get them with built-in intervalometers for not much more.

As for the front IR only port, I just reach over with the remote and roughly aim at the port, works fine.
01-24-2014, 02:08 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
i do try reaching over the front sometimes with the IR remote but its a hit and miss from such a close distance. works fine from 10cm and above but sometimes i need to be careful for wide angle shots as not to get my hand in the frame
01-24-2014, 04:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Yeh? Which camera? On my K-01 it's 100% effective from about 1cm. My hand never reaches as far as the lens fov

01-24-2014, 05:43 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
K-50. the remote was from ebay for around $5
01-24-2014, 05:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The wirless remote for my K-30 has been hit or miss, and I've had 3 of the O-rc1 remotes from Pentax. Sometimes it just won't work unless you are about a foot away. I now use a $9 cable remote.
01-24-2014, 07:30 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I usually get the ones off Ebay from JJC. I've never had a problem with them on any of my cameras. The one I bought for my Olympus had a shield that attached to the lens that allowed me to use the wireless form behind from a considerable distance, the shield works currently with my Pentax wireless remote also. I read though the wireless infrared battery on your camera only lasts for around 30,000 activations before you have to send it in to have it replaced. For that reason a use a plug in remote also.

01-24-2014, 08:13 AM   #8
Veteran Member

For those of you using cable remotes, can you specify which ones? I have not been able to find one that says it's compatible with the K-3 (or K-5, which is probably the same), and I want to be able to back off at least about 10 feet.
01-24-2014, 09:37 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NicoleC Quote
For those of you using cable remotes, can you specify which ones? I have not been able to find one that says it's compatible with the K-3 (or K-5, which is probably the same), and I want to be able to back off at least about 10 feet.
Most any remote that uses the standard audio type plug will work. I think anything marked 'Canon' should work but Nikon uses a different plug. Here is a link to one that came up: Amazon.com: Vello RS-C1II Wired Remote Switch for Select Canon/Pentax/Contax/Samsung: Camera & Photo I'm not suggesting that one, just an example. There are dozens of them for sale.

The remote is nothing special, just a make/break switch. You can make your own with an audio cable if you have any electrical knowledge.

Here is a full on intervalometer: Amazon.com: NEEWER Again, not suggesting this one, just an example.
01-24-2014, 09:40 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To the OP: Here is a link to Trigger Trap that is supposed to do what you want. I don't have one though I looked at it a while back. http://triggertrap.com/

If you get it and it works please report back and let everyone know. Looks like it has some neat features.

Last edited by jatrax; 01-24-2014 at 09:42 AM. Reason: fixed link
01-24-2014, 10:42 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Here is a full on intervalometer:
...and the similar model (available at Adorama) that I use...

Bower LCD Timer and Remote Shutter Release (Model RCLC1R) reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Steve
01-24-2014, 12:12 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
To the OP: Here is a link to Trigger Trap that is supposed to do what you want. I don't have one though I looked at it a while back. Triggertrap | Creative ways of triggering your camera

If you get it and it works please report back and let everyone know. Looks like it has some neat features.
Interesting idea, not sure I'd want to tie up my phone for hours on end using it for timelapse etc....but...
QuoteOriginally posted by schnitzer79 Quote
....i dont really want to spend any money on a remote.
Buying into the TT system is more expensive than a cable release.
01-24-2014, 12:18 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Guys, do you know where can I get some cheap intervalometer for Sony NEX 5N. That's my second camera, occasionally used by my wife. I have thoughts that with Sony do some timelapse while shooting clasic pictures with my K-3.
01-25-2014, 07:07 AM   #14
Pentaxian

ok guys just tried this,as soon as i plug in the cable it fires once and thats it.app doesnt seem to work either.ill check another app to see if that works or i might read on that DIY
I think you have to purchase the equipment that goes with the app for it to work correctly.
01-28-2014, 02:00 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
is it possible to connect a 3.5mm to 2.5mm cable from your phone to the camera and with an android app (i.e. dslr remote) to be able to release the camera's shutter or isnt it that simple?
i have a wireless remote but u need to be in the front for that one.i just want a cable one for those long exposure shots.been using the 2s timer so far which does the job so i dont really want to spend any money on a remote.
Triggertrap Mobile | Triggertrap

I have it and it works with both my Samsung Galaxy S3 and my Nexus 7. The Android app is free, but the dongle is approximately US$30.
Triggertrap supports straight cable release (press the button on the phone) as well as using other device sensors to trigger the camera (like sound), and a wide variety of intervalometer options. Something also possible, but I haven't tried it yet, is to establish a direct Wi-Fi connection between two Android devices and use one to trigger the other wirelessly (and therefore the camera).

If your camera doesn't have a wired cable release port (for example, the K-r or K-x, or one of the Pentax P&S cameras), you can still use Triggertrap following my (and follow-on) instructions by Roy Weidig to trigger the camera via a simple modification to an IR release:
Make a wired release for any Pentax IR camera - PentaxForums.com