Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That is an absolutely beautiful shot!

01-22-2007, 07:10 PM   #17
Site Supporter

added note...

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilm_user Quote
Hi,

I've covered this topic in another forum, so I'll copy and paste my findings here too:

I decided to print this image at 20x30 inches (halfway between A2 and A1) as a leap of faith for my mom's Christmas gift. The frame and border is part of the picture, so it's closer to A2 in actual picture size.

I cannot find any evidence of pixelation, and this was printed on an Epson Stylus Pro 9800 wide format photo printer.

Full frame shot with Pentax SMC FA* 80-200/2.8, courtesy of my K100D. The printer interpolates the image, so that's part of the equation...

Taken at F/3.5, 1/180 sec., ISO 200, 80mm:
Disclaimer: the information is my opinion, based on my experience, nothing more....

BTW, I've printed a large number of 20x30 images with my DS or my K100D. I wanted the K10D for weather sealing, battery grip, and increased cropping leeway for macro work.

Other bonuses are with the K10D are the better balance, etc. with my FA* lenses. Good to excellent quality lenses are the biggest factor in good photos (assuming the photographer is competent).

I bought a basic 6.1MP DSLR, and purchased the best quality lenses I could buy (not necessarily the most expensive, although I shot that to hell when I acquired 3 FA* lenses in one year!). I am satisfied with the images from both 6.1MP and 10.2MP, no question.

Perhaps I am wrong here, but I've never bought into the C*n*n or N*k*n method of buying the expensive camera body with the crappy kit lens they include in your first purchase: "Oh... wait, your pictures aren't very good? Well, you have to buy these very expensive Nikkor or Canon L series lenses to get great photographs... " ...pleeeze!

Summary: IMHO, good glass can last a lifetime, and they should be your biggest investment, not the camera body.

Of course, there are variables to this, and it's not a one-size-fits-all scenario...

Cheers,
Marc
01-22-2007, 07:17 PM   #18
Site Supporter

you may not believe this...

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
That is an absolutely beautiful shot!
Thanks Buddha!

I know this sounds ironic, but... believe it or not, that was my first outing, trying to do landscape photography. I took this on October 28th, 2006. Before that, on October 24th, 2006, I was wrapping up the botanical macro season. I'd taken maybe 10-15 shots the day before that photo, trying to understand landscape photography.

I've never done it before - I was extremely nervous about it...

Pretty sad, isn't it?

Cheers,
Marc