Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2014, 06:43 AM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BirdDude007 Quote
The client wanted me to do lots of sniping, however I did it in good taste, I also managed to get around 70% keepers, I hate tbe rear LCD screen on these cameras, I was freakin out looking (chimping) at my shots on the camera and it pissed me off for a while, that is until I saw them on the computer screen
I turned off the instant replay. I figured it was just wasting battery charge. Plus, it never quite matches the on-screen look anyway, particularly if you're shooting RAW+ mode. If I want to review a picture, it's easy enough.

02-07-2014, 08:02 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Well the shoot went very well for this novice, they managed to take the JPEGs right off the card and put a slide show together. I havent seen the show but my client is very happy.
some small notes on how things went for me.
I ended up using just the K-5 ultimately instead of having the K-X with a lens on it, i left it in the back for back up body, these cameras are so different when it comes to controls that it was just so much easier to just change lenses when the situation warrants, I had a pouch that I easily set the lens I wasnt using in.
I learned that these lenses are so very sharp that i could just about cut my eyeball on the images, I am so impressed with these lenses, now that I have sent them back to the rental company I seriously miss them.
I learned that flash photography is now my new goal to master, I had so many different situations that had many different variation in lighting that my head was spinning just trying to get a grasp of it.
While I was there I met another 'tog from the hotel that was hosting the event, she was shooting an old Nikon d200, and had been shooting since 89, she requested to see some of my shots and was actually rather impressed.
I also learned that once I relaxed, my shooting got way better, I was just over thinking everything, when its your first shoot, you have a tendency of getting a bit nervous
I handled the equipment fairly well, I always kept an eye on the battery power, and memory card room, I had a place to charge my batteries, and usually when I got a 16 gig halfway filled up I would pull it and download it on my netbook and put the card away with the pics still on them, so now I have like three cards with the pics still on them, once I get them loaded up on my home computer and external drives I will clear the cards.
by the end of the night I really didnt have to stick around too long to get the remaining shots loaded up on the clients SD card.
Last night I got to meet an NFL player, his name is Shane Vereen from the Patriots, very nice guy and I have an image of him with my client that i will post later.
I learned lastly that since this something that I really enjoy doing and is a passion of mine, that once I just relax and have fun, then the creativity starts to come out, I just gotta get better at making the images come out right the first time right out of the camera.

Pics soon to follow....
02-08-2014, 04:30 AM   #48
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Awesome! Glad things turned out well and good luck in the future.
02-08-2014, 09:59 AM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulations! Those two lenses an the 12-24 were the ones I bought with the camera. I regret replacing the 50-135 when it died for the third time. It was a snit fit. It worked quite well with the AFA 1.7X. It doesn't have the reach of the (surprisingly good) 55-300, but man did it have the image quality nailed. I'm not at all surprised you fell for them once you used them.

02-08-2014, 03:34 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BirdDude007 Quote
I learned lastly that since this something that I really enjoy doing and is a passion of mine, that once I just relax and have fun, then the creativity starts to come out

Absolutely true. If you're not comfortable, it will reflect in your photos and in your clients.
02-08-2014, 04:24 PM   #51
Site Supporter

Congrats. sounds like you really had some fun.