Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-24-2014, 09:26 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Woo Hoo! My 1st Paid Shoot!

I am pumped! Got set up with a good payin shoot in a convention setting, no flash, all mostly candid shots of folks interacting with each other, more shoots planned this year so I wanna impress.

the equipment I have will be K-5 classic, and K-X for back up, only have 18-135mm zoom.....nice lens but may be too slow for this setting, what lenses should I rent for this low light situation and from where should I rent them? I also have an M50mm 1:1.4 prime lens (ol faithful I call it) would this lens have a use in tnis situation? Manual focus will not be an issue

The only bummer is this will all have to be shot in JPEG, I NEVER shoot in JPEG, so my stupid question of the day is this- what shood I have the setting set on in camera? Sorry.....used to doing PP with all my work.
thanks in advance for any advice

01-24-2014, 10:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'd just practice ahead of time with both cameras and see how the jpegs come out. The M50 F1.4 is a great lens for most situations especially if you don't have flash, but having an A50 or a autofocus 50mm could help increase the quantity of shots to keep.
01-24-2014, 11:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Congrats, BirdDude!

Out of curiosity, why does it have to be jpeg-only? Is the turnaround time just too quick?
01-25-2014, 02:38 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Natural, contrast +1, saturation +1, Fine sharpness.

01-25-2014, 04:07 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would consider renting a 50-135 or, purchasing a DA 50mm f1.8, depending on how much length you think you'll need.
01-25-2014, 05:03 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats! Sounds awesome!
Well, for convention settings people often use wide angles because there isn't much space. On the other hand, if you want candids, you might want tele. Its a hard decision to make.
I would suggest you put one lens on one camera, and another on the other camera. Having an f1.4 is also good if the place is not well-lit.
For the wider angle, you might want something like the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 or even a Samyang 16mm f2.0 for even wider angles. For tele, the 18-135mm might be enough, especially on the K-5 since it has good high-ISO performance.
Regarding the jpeg settings.. Giklab posted some good settings there. But you should test some out. It all depends on what "the crowd" likes. Do they want punchy, oversaturated colours? do they want high contrast, dramatic shots? Or more mellow ones? Take a look at what popular convention photographers are doing and think about it. Also, you might want to enable shadow correction and overexpose by 1/3.
01-25-2014, 05:29 AM   #7

I am also wondering about "only JPEG". If you got enoug cards and space I would shoot RAW+JPEG. This way you can give them their jpgs without delays and still be able to rescue a crucial shot.

01-25-2014, 06:14 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ofer4 Quote
Congrats, BirdDude!

Out of curiosity, why does it have to be jpeg-only? Is the turnaround time just too quick?
The client is wanting me to upload the shots immediately on her laptop for use the next day. I have a regular job the next day as well and wont be able to get them PPd until the evening, this way she will at least have the JPEGs if I cannot get to them in time.
my client is an immediate family member and money is no object with her, this has the potential of being lucritive in the near future, possibly making it so I can quit my plumbing job and do this full time with travel to lots of cool places around the globe
01-25-2014, 06:26 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Natural, contrast +1, saturation +1, Fine sharpness.
Thanks I appreciate the advice, I am gonna start with those settings and do some practice this weekend, this shoot will enable me to most likely get my foot in the door of a good company that will need a full time photogrpher for shooting their events in the future
01-25-2014, 06:28 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I would consider renting a 50-135 or, purchasing a DA 50mm f1.8, depending on how much length you think you'll need.
exactly what I was thinking. That particular zoom is the first one that popped up in my mind when I was offered the job.
01-25-2014, 06:34 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Congrats! Sounds awesome!
Well, for convention settings people often use wide angles because there isn't much space. On the other hand, if you want candids, you might want tele. Its a hard decision to make.
I would suggest you put one lens on one camera, and another on the other camera. Having an f1.4 is also good if the place is not well-lit.
For the wider angle, you might want something like the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 or even a Samyang 16mm f2.0 for even wider angles. For tele, the 18-135mm might be enough, especially on the K-5 since it has good high-ISO performance.
Regarding the jpeg settings.. Giklab posted some good settings there. But you should test some out. It all depends on what "the crowd" likes. Do they want punchy, oversaturated colours? do they want high contrast, dramatic shots? Or more mellow ones? Take a look at what popular convention phomitographers are doing and think about it. Also, you might want to enable shadow correction and overexpose by 1/3.
awesome advice, I appreciate it, worste case scenario I will be stuck with the lenses I have for this shoot, but I really feel I will need something faster for this shoot, this will be my first go at a pro shoot so I want to impress
01-25-2014, 06:39 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by delegopa Quote
I am also wondering about "only JPEG". If you got enoug cards and space I would shoot RAW+JPEG. This way you can give them their jpgs without delays and still be able to rescue da crucial shot.
yep good idea, at least this way I will have something to work on if the client calls me and needs some crucial shots adjusted, and believe me.....you want it in RAW if you are planning on ressurecting a poorly exposed shot, or one with incorrect white balance.
01-25-2014, 08:05 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Also, when I am at a place like convention or public space and there are photographers taking a photo of me, I hope they take a good angle and make me look.. well, not as terrible so really try to make people look good, and delete the shots where they are caught at a bad angle or mid-expression. I think this will be the main goal, and what the people will appreciate the most.
01-25-2014, 10:14 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I will second the motion for RAW+ when taking. That gives you the best of both worlds. Don't forget to set the jpegs to maximum quality.

Cards are not all that expensive. Take lots. You will be taking hundreds of pictures, but a 16 Gb card can hold quite a bit.

The DA*50-135/2.8 is a fantastic lens for the more distant subjects. I'm one of those idiots who actually likes and uses the DA*16-50 2.8. Great range of focal lengths. I would not suggest going wider than 16mm due to the edge distortion which would take hours to fix in post. Nobody likes to look fat, and everybody looks fat at 12mm on the left and right ends. Even 16mm is iffy for this distortion.
01-25-2014, 02:41 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BirdDude007 Quote
this has the potential of being lucritive in the near future, possibly making it so I can quit my plumbing job and do this full time with travel to lots of cool places around the globe
judging from plumbing repair bills it ain't such a bad gig either...just sayin"

Good luck and bring a nice piece of wide glass with you also like a DA-12-24 or the DA16-45