Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
01-25-2014, 02:29 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Lens Timeline

Is there a good resource or database to find out the release dates of lenses or lens product lines? I have found all sorts of online databases for specs and reviews, but I want to see when they were released. I can't seem to find anything that specific. This can be for Pentax or any other company. I'm just curious.

Edit - Meant to put this in the lens discussion forum. My bad.

Last edited by aaronjamesgray; 01-25-2014 at 03:20 PM.
01-25-2014, 02:34 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You can review Pentax K-Mount Lenses and Lens Accessories. You would need to go into the info section for each lens to determine the years of production....
01-25-2014, 02:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

so far the most reliable : Pentax K-Mount Lenses and Lens Accessories

the most handy : Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
01-25-2014, 03:14 PM   #4

Original Poster
That bdimitriov site is pretty good. I just wish it covered third party lenses too. I use the database on here a lot, aurele, but it usually doesn't state the release dates.

01-25-2014, 03:42 PM - 1 Like   #5
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For older 3rd party lenses. See the 1st post in the following.

Robert Monaghan's "Third Party Lenses Resource Megasite" can be retrieved - Photo.net Classic Manual Cameras Forum
01-25-2014, 04:13 PM - 1 Like   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lens release info is definitely something we want to standardize and keep track of in the lens db. For modern lenses you can of course look at the date the db entry was uploaded.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-25-2014, 04:32 PM   #7

Original Poster
Wow. That site has a lot of info, dms. Sadly, the best I can find in terms of release dates on that page is that it breaks it down by eras. That's a good start, though.

Good to know, Adam. I research a lot, so I'd be glad to help out in any way I can, even though I'm still somewhat new to all of this.

01-25-2014, 04:47 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by aaronjamesgray Quote
That bdimitriov site is pretty good. I just wish it covered third party lenses too. I use the database on here a lot, aurele, but it usually doesn't state the release dates.
Yeah, I think the forum search engine can be better, by having more filtering options (like scroll bar for focal length, brand, release date, WR tickbox etc.)
01-25-2014, 09:53 PM   #9
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The compilation of 3rd party lenses gives a single date (year) that I believe is the first year of sales--so it is quite a bit more specific than you thought. Oh, maybe by "era" you meant year!

As you no doubt saw there are two lists. One is (initially) sorted by vendor, the other by lens focal length.
01-25-2014, 11:20 PM   #10

Original Poster
Oh, you're right it does. I must have glanced over the "YR" column. My bad. Thanks for pointing that out.

Also, I did find index fr. The site is a bit weird to navigate.
10-02-2014, 08:02 AM - 4 Likes   #11

pentaxslrtimeline.pdf pentaxlenstimeline.pdf

I think i have what you are looking for, (two pdf files) i have got them for a long time and no more idea of where they come from, how could i send them (i am brand new on the site in fact i registered to be able to contact you.... : )

---------- Post added 10-02-14 at 05:11 PM ----------

I found it:
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/krg/temp/PentaxLensTimeLine.pdf
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/krg/temp/PentaxSlrTimeLine.pdf
03-10-2018, 09:49 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savatitoi Quote
I think i have what you are looking for, (two pdf files) i have got them for a long time and no more idea of where they come from.
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/krg/temp/PentaxLensTimeLine.pdf
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/krg/temp/PentaxSlrTimeLine.pdf
Could this be sticked to the Forum?
04-27-2018, 06:06 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Another Pentax Lens timeline is available here:
Template:Pentax K-mount AF lenses timeline - Wikipedia