Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2007, 04:41 PM   #16
roy
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
this is real similar to how i PP. instead of changing the blend option to soft i usually use 'image' > 'apply image' > change to 'soft light' and adjust the %%. i get an almost identical image. this is probably just a different way of achieving the same end.

edit: i do it on the dup layer, forgot to say.

01-22-2007, 05:02 PM   #17
roy
Inactive Account

here's another before and after. personally i like hi contrast/saturation images.

01-22-2007, 05:02 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
...In fact it is even more applicable for images with less contrast, overcast or cloudy images...
Ben - many thanks for sharing this very effective technique! Much appreciated! Just pulled an overcast soft image from this early fall and roughly played this unsharp mask using your tips...

QuoteOriginally posted by trog100 Quote
can we see an example.. a before and after effect.. ??

trog
Original unprocessed JPEG:

And now with Ben's guidance (maybe a little rough though):

Thanks again!

Regards,
D
01-22-2007, 05:45 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Duh_Vinci Quote

And now with Ben's guidance (maybe a little rough though):

D
Nice transformation. Now I only need some time to try this myself. Time to stop chatting and start creating.

01-22-2007, 06:03 PM   #20

This process certainly adds sparkle to the image.
Now I shall have to apply it to the drawerful of images made in an ever present Mediterranean haze.
See y'all next year ;-)
01-22-2007, 11:56 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Another Toy...

Now what you can do next is go to your bank and send unmarked bills to my Swiss account in Zurich...LOL Just Kidding of Course.

But seriously folks...If you decide to go for the less saturated effect of using the desaturated method, I suggest that after flattening the image that you go to the Saturation menu and augment the Saturation to between 5 and 10 on the Saturation Scale.

Best Wishes
Ben
01-23-2007, 05:07 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ben,
Once again all I can say is Thank you. This last suggestion is very subtle but effective. In regards to your Swiss account, keep these toys coming and I would be happy to contribute.
The only downside on this is I am now in the process of going back and redoing most of my Pbase photos and will probably reprint a few of the 7 that I thought were good enough.

Thanks again,
01-23-2007, 08:19 AM   #23
roy
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Now what you can do next is go to your bank and send unmarked bills to my Swiss account in Zurich...LOL Just Kidding of Course.

But seriously folks...If you decide to go for the less saturated effect of using the desaturated method, I suggest that after flattening the image that you go to the Saturation menu and augment the Saturation to between 5 and 10 on the Saturation Scale.

Best Wishes
Ben
for saturation, i've got a little action that changes image to Lab color and adjusts the curves in the A & B channels and lets you alter opacity before flattening. works great for me.

ben, $$$ are in transit..

01-23-2007, 05:35 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Tom,
[I]'m not good at explaining this so here is a tutorial that shows layers and the normal tab found on that pallet.
Digital Blending
Hope this helps.
Regards,
01-23-2007, 06:04 PM   #25
Inactive Account

I really like this process - helped a ton on one of my images... I found this work flow - broadband help Forums Tech and Talk Digital Imaging [Tutorial] The making of an image that may or may not do something similar, but looks like fun
01-28-2007, 01:27 PM   #26
Inactive Account

Anyone tried this with PSP?

I was just wondering if anyone has tried to migrate this method
to PaintShop Pro. I gotta admit that I don't really understand layers.

If someone has tried this with PSP, could you elaborate on how you did it?

Many thanks!
01-28-2007, 01:39 PM   #27
Veteran Member

So that is what post processing means, holy crap I am in shock at the difference that makes, esp. in Duh Vincis's shots, just amazing!
01-29-2007, 01:54 AM   #28

Hi Ken

I'm new to PP, so I couldn't entirely follow the process. Can you please post step-by-step instructions at the Techniques forum? Thanks.
01-29-2007, 04:07 AM   #29
Site Supporter

Paint Shop Pro

QuoteOriginally posted by spillway Quote
I was just wondering if anyone has tried to migrate this method
to PaintShop Pro. I gotta admit that I don't really understand layers.

If someone has tried this with PSP, could you elaborate on how you did it?

Many thanks!
Follow the procedure listed for USM (I set my setting for Clipping between 1 and 5) and for the soft light steps. If the image needs a bit more pop I use Clarify on the original layer, normally at a strength of 1.

I used this procedure on my recent sunflower post. I did have to mask the background to darken it a bit before using this process on the flowers.

Tim
01-29-2007, 08:28 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Pathy,
What program are you going to use it on?
Thanks,