Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2014, 10:13 AM   #31
dmc
Forum Member

My lifelong journey with Pentax started in 1964 when I purchased a little Spotmatic, a jewel of a camera. I could have bought any camera I wanted, but I went with the Pentax because they had a reputation for being innovative and for having high quality optics. Over these many years I have tried many, many different cameras, but always ended up back at Pentax. I believe that they continue the fine tradition of innovation and, with their line of DA Limited lenses, the tradition of high quality lenses. But you know what, putting all this aside, they just feel right for me - and I don't think I am the only one. Yes, my friend, Pentax will continue to be around for a very long time.

01-28-2014, 10:29 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What's generating a lot of buzz with smaller size cameras is the fact that they produce good quality in smaller body. But nobody can cheat the optics and the lenses are just as big for the same size sensor... To me they are great for primes which was a strength of Pentax but everything else is a wash. So it's just more tool for different situations.
01-28-2014, 10:37 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
There is absolutely nothing special about my Rav4, but I bought it anyway, it has a nice large space in the back where I can isolate my grumpy dog.

So that's what Pentax has. It inspires some people. To want to refine it more than that is navel gazing. The whole is larger than the parts. The most important part of the Pentax niche or the Canon niche or the Nikon niche or whatever niche will never be completely definable. Some people like Snickers bars, some people like Mars bars, why dwell on the formula?
My SAAB 900 Turbo is much more special than my Rav4 and yet I see so many more Ravs than I do SAABs.

Whenever I buy an item it is the entire package that counts towards the decision. I would never buy a fridge because it had the largest egg tray or best handles and would not buy a camera due to just one factor (perhaps WP if the situation required it but then there are waterproof cases that let you take a camera under water instead of just putting up with a rain). As a total package Pentax is not best suited for many people due to among other things a shortage of long lenses however for most of us what Pentax has available is enough and the price is competetive. If you want he largest camera and the most MPs from Nikon you would need to purchase two bodies but I would think most would decide on one or the other even if that body is not the leader in both category. Of Nikon having a large body in the D4 would not mean anything to the purchaser of a D5200 or D7100 or even the D610.
01-28-2014, 12:54 PM - 1 Like   #34
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think it is inappropriate to submit to Descartes' reductionism. It does not matter about the uniqueness of the members of the list of features. What matters to me is how the whole package comes together as a whole for working with.

01-28-2014, 01:56 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
What is the unique strength of a Honda Accord? Was it the same thing 38 years ago?
I'll agree with that statement. Honda wasn't (isn't) the largest company by volume, nor is it the cheapest.
But it does make a VERY good product, and people still by Hondas because they are/have been very well designed.
There does come a fine line where product has to still have a sales outlet (I know it doesn't really exist well in the US).

In SoCal, the only real place to get / see anything Pentax - is online. Maybe SoCal is a bad market, but if you don't have a presence in the 2nd largest city in the country, and in general the most populated state in the country... what are you doing ?
01-28-2014, 02:04 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by formercanuck Quote
I'll agree with that statement. Honda wasn't (isn't) the largest company by volume, nor is it the cheapest.
But it does make a VERY good product, and people still by Hondas because they are/have been very well designed.
There does come a fine line where product has to still have a sales outlet (I know it doesn't really exist well in the US).

In SoCal, the only real place to get / see anything Pentax - is online. Maybe SoCal is a bad market, but if you don't have a presence in the 2nd largest city in the country, and in general the most populated state in the country... what are you doing ?
A Honda is an alternative that competed effectively with Detroit (and contributed to its demise). Curiously, a comparison of features will show a Chevy Malibu is a much better value today than an Accord - but I wouldn't buy one because I don't trust the quality and they've shut so many dealers that, even in St. Louis, I have to drive too far to get service. A Ford Taurus looks interesting right now!

Pentax distribution in the USA will improve because the dealer profit margin on their products is the highest of the major manufacturers. One by one Denver will win back the B&M stores, then the quality / dependability / value story becomes a real, tactile buying experience. Maybe K600 and Q7 / 02 kits will show up in Walmart and Target, but not much else.

Over time this will work - the key is, over time.
01-28-2014, 02:08 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I think my original post meant to be a looking for answers Pentax, and those are the features that reminds me of Pentax. As other companies also tapping into these unique features of Pentax, Pentax needs to response.

Fujifilm just announce their 3 new lenses will be WR too.

XF50-140mm f/2.8 R OIS WR
XF16-55mm f/2.8 R OIS WR
XF18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 R OIS WR

OK, they may be expensive, but so do DA* lenses.

Last edited by LFLee; 01-28-2014 at 02:28 PM.
01-28-2014, 02:26 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
I think my original post meant to be a looking for answers Pentax, and those are the features that reminds me of Pentax. As other companies also tapping into these unique features of Pentax, Pentax needs to response.

Fujifilm just announce their 3 new lenses will be WR too. OK, they may be expensive, but so do DA* lenses.
Forget Sony. Meh. FujiFilm is the threat.

01-28-2014, 03:18 PM   #39
Pentaxian

XF16-55mm f/2.8 R OIS WR

Yes, I do see Fuji coming in quite fast and chipping at Pentax's strengths the most.
Small form factor and fast lenses (they added WR too)

On the WR lenses, Pentax stil has a complete 'cheap' line of them, which is a big plus.
Most new entrants to the hobby get stick shock at the price of lenses and look to the cheaper alternatives and the 18-55; 55-200; 18-135 is there as a complete choice (cheap)

Fuji's has a set of weakness too.
1. AF and response (only supposedly improved at X100s and XE-2, but I need to try one out to confirm this since they said this since XP1 )
2. Poorer layout and handling (subjective of course )
3. Lens size limitation with that sort of body; handling a lens above 135mm will be tough (Maybe XT1 will be better)
4. Limited lens selection
5. No in camera stabilization

I've also read (but never looked closely) that Fuji's implementation of the colour array creates other problems (too much green??)
Hopefully the more knowlegeable can give better insight on it.

Its still early and XT1 is a 2014 model (though a few months apart only) from the K3.
The K3 has shown that its quite a camera.
In fact, I see it setting itself as a high bar that other aps-c cameras need to hit or exceed.
Its not really big at all, rugged, almost proven handling (since K7),

All said though, Pentax sure got to be on their toes.
Who knows, maybe this year we will see a 645DII and a FF K1 based off the K3 and that would certainly be fine (if not great) cameras.
01-28-2014, 03:54 PM   #40
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Y..
All said though, Pentax sure got to be on their toes. ..
Why Pentax, for goodness sake? Why not Nikon or Canon?
Why every single time some new lousy camera by some camera manufacturer comes out, it is Pentax that MUST have a ready answer in their sleeves and must beat it in every respect by a wide margin or they are doomed?
Why Pentax must address every single manoeuvre and whim of any and all of the industry’s players?
Isn’t such an attitude bordering with paranoia?

Last edited by Uluru; 01-28-2014 at 04:01 PM.
01-28-2014, 04:57 PM   #41
Site Supporter

I don't see Fuji's cameras as being broadly popular -- at least not in the US. Could be wrong, but I heard lots of predictions when the X Pro was released that it was going to kill SLR sales and how high its preorders were on Amazon. The reality is that it didn't make a dent in the overall SLR/MILC market. Fuji to me, feels like a slightly cheaper Leica -- some very rabid follower who salivate over everything they release, but nothing that is truly ground shaking or game changing. Honestly, I would rather have an Olympus, with their lens line up and cameras than a Fuji, but I guess I didn't drink that Kool-Aid...
01-28-2014, 08:11 PM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Why Pentax, for goodness sake? Why not Nikon or Canon?
Why every single time some new lousy camera by some camera manufacturer comes out, it is Pentax that MUST have a ready answer in their sleeves and must beat it in every respect by a wide margin or they are doomed?
Why Pentax must address every single manoeuvre and whim of any all of the industry’s players?
Isn’t such an attitude bordering with paranoia?
Don't need to be so agitated friend....

I'd rather Pentax be paranoid and give us more go good stuff than sit around drumming their fingers.

When we are in a Pentax specific forum, we are 'shielded' from the realities of camera interest on a scope beyond Pentax.
I am on a non-branded local forum. (pretty big user base)
Its obvious that the least interest is in the Pentax stuff no matter how good it is.
The Fuji, Oly stuff gets more interest than Pentax.
Sony A7 is HOT and literally flying off the shelves. (I am not exaggerating )
Despite Pentax delivering a kick ass K3, almost no new entrants to the local community who got one.
Most guys who got it were the Pentax regulars.

On the local forum, I am one of the few (in fact, maybe the only one...) who regularly push Pentax as an alternative to newbies posting the question on what camera to buy.
I also put up Pentax camera reviews on the local forum (so far DA18-135; Q; Q10; Q7; K30 ).
It is so damn hard!
Often I feel like I'm taking to the wall.
Its easier to just persuade a newbie with a 'Once you get a XXXD, you won't look back' empty talk than all I can say with logic/features and sample photos on why a Pentax is a better choice.
Thats the hard reality of the Pentax situation. (To me at the least, YMMV)

So yes, Pentax needs to be more aggressive..... and paranoid (to me)

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't see Fuji's cameras as being broadly popular -- at least not in the US. Could be wrong, but I heard lots of predictions when the X Pro was released that it was going to kill SLR sales and how high its preorders were on Amazon. The reality is that it didn't make a dent in the overall SLR/MILC market. Fuji to me, feels like a slightly cheaper Leica -- some very rabid follower who salivate over everything they release, but nothing that is truly ground shaking or game changing. Honestly, I would rather have an Olympus, with their lens line up and cameras than a Fuji, but I guess I didn't drink that Kool-Aid...

They are over here in Asia.
Lots of Canikon guys giving up their large heavy stuff after getting battered carrying them around for a few years.

You may be right regarding that 'wannabe a Leica/pseudo-RF user' mentality, but their lens line up has been aggressive.

Last edited by pinholecam; 01-28-2014 at 08:50 PM.
01-28-2014, 08:29 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Odd thing is that I was at a car how on Monday, and of course, i had a quick look at what cameras were being carried.

Obviously Canon seemed to be most prevalent, but I found it interesting that the next most common ones were Nikon and Olympus.
Especially since everybody here seems to say that Olympus is just about dead.
01-28-2014, 09:22 PM   #44
Inactive Account

XF16-55mm f/2.8 R OIS WR

I think Fuji has dead aim on Pentax's market position.
01-28-2014, 09:34 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
My SAAB 900 Turbo is much more special than my Rav4 and yet I see so many more Ravs than I do SAABs.
SAAB 900, special? Rav4 what? Oh wait, you're not from Sweden.