Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2014, 06:07 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
I had not heard this before. Was the problem Pentax, the company that made the gear or the distributor companies in one or more markets who treated the retailers badly?
The only thing that I heard (and this was from a local 'former' Pentax dealer, was the following:

1. Pentax went and made deals with Wal-Mart/Sams club (a few years back) and were selling cameras below cost (back in the K-x era). Eg. I purchased my K-x for $499 with lens - no tax, free shipping.
2. Pentax went APS-C only - back then a sign of 'consumer grade only' - meaning no FF = no profit.

If I were a retailer and was stuck effectively with a good bit of gear that I couldn't sell for cost, I'd be upset too.

02-03-2014, 07:51 PM   #62
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by formercanuck Quote
The only thing that I heard (and this was from a local 'former' Pentax dealer, was the following:

1. Pentax went and made deals with Wal-Mart/Sams club (a few years back) and were selling cameras below cost (back in the K-x era). Eg. I purchased my K-x for $499 with lens - no tax, free shipping.
2. Pentax went APS-C only - back then a sign of 'consumer grade only' - meaning no FF = no profit.

If I were a retailer and was stuck effectively with a good bit of gear that I couldn't sell for cost, I'd be upset too.
Thanks. Interesting.
02-03-2014, 09:02 PM   #63
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
According to Ricoh, these are the 5 reasons:
WR
Most lenses designed especially for APS-C
Lightest weight average at any given focal length
Color choices
SR

5Reasons to choose PENTAX | RICOH IMAGING
02-03-2014, 09:09 PM   #64
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
They also have this compare by photos which is hilarious because they compare 4 different lenses to the standard kit lens for 4 different types of subjects/styles. They eschew any sense of fairness and tout better composition that could have been achieved with the kit lens as a reason that a different lens is better.

Each one ends with the same basic conclusion "For shooting (landscapes/portraits/flowers/animals), we recommend the (DA 35mm F2.4AL/DA 50mm F1.8/ DA FISH-EYE 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED [IF]/DFA MACRO 50mm F2.8).

Not that I have anything against any of those lenses, its just that their process to reach the conclusions is just so wrong from a logic standpoint I was LOLing.

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/lens_cmp/page04.html

02-03-2014, 09:58 PM   #65
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote

Not that I have anything against any of those lenses, its just that their process to reach the conclusions is just so wrong from a logic standpoint I was LOLing.

Which of these lenses would you choose? One more lens just right for you | RICOH IMAGING
They compare results from each lens, and simply state that if you believe standard kit lens is fine for you, for everything, then fine. But if you are interested in any specific subject a bit more, then there are lenses better suited to maximise the imaging potential of those subjects.

For example, a macro lens is definitely more versatile for maximising imaging potential of flower and bug shots than a kit lens in that same role. Conclusion: It is not a bad idea to consider a macro lens in addition to your kit lens, if you really love photographing flowers.

Etc.

There is nothing wrong with their logic.
02-03-2014, 10:24 PM   #66
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax was the first to start this color fad....all others followed suit....