Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2014, 09:57 AM - 1 Like   #166

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by peterjcb Quote
..geez, after reading through this thread I'm not feelin' guilty anymore about buying a few cameras & lenses
....now i'm thinking that I'm NOT spending enough money on my hobbies....
There you go, now you're talkin'!

02-06-2014, 10:03 AM   #167
Loyal Site Supporter

Could I argue that my camera stuff is really just an extension of my Disney hobby? Since the whole reason I bought a better camera was because my PnS ticked me off during a Disney trip?
02-06-2014, 10:16 AM   #168
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think driving is currently my most expensive hobby.

$900 lift kit
$800 tires
$120 shiny new radiator
$150 catalytic converter
$40 oil changes 10 times a year
$80 to fill the tank 1.5 times a week
insurance, surprise repairs.... more surprise repairs... towing fees due to surprise repairs.
02-06-2014, 10:16 AM   #169

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
Could I argue that my camera stuff is really just an extension of my Disney hobby? Since the whole reason I bought a better camera was because my PnS ticked me off during a Disney trip?
Maybe.

P&S cameras are for Tourons!

Good for you that you've stepped it up!

02-06-2014, 10:17 AM   #170
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
If it makes you feel better you can rationalize it anyway you want

I have a quick OT question, what setup do you use when you go to Disney?

Last time I had my camera with the DA 21 and Sigma 50 mm and alternated taking one each day but for pictures of my kids with the characters, often the 50 was too long and the 21 was too slow. I talked with one of their photographers and asked for advice how to get the best results in those situations and she recommended using flash because the lighting in those setups is often designed to not get proper exposure without it (so that people will buy more pictures). Next time I think I will bring camera and I now have a flash and use a zoom and was thinking about upgrading from the 16-45 to the 16-50 so I have weatherproofing and can take pictures during water rides. I was also thinking about buying the FA 31 instead because I think that will be the perfect focal length for most of those situations but because this is an expensive hobby it will be a 16-50 or an FA 31 instead of both.
02-06-2014, 11:10 AM   #171
Loyal Site Supporter

A 50 is definitely too long for characters, even outside. There's often not enough room to take another step or two back.
The lighting is weird in some of the indoor meets. I can see where flash would be useful.
I'm still learning to take good Disney pics myself. Every now & then, I get a decent one & have to figure out what I did to get it!
02-06-2014, 11:58 AM   #172
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I love my house.

Rancho Costa Plenta

I love that wrap around porch.
02-06-2014, 12:31 PM - 1 Like   #173

QuoteOriginally posted by Colbyt Quote
I love that wrap around porch.
Thank you.

It was Mrs. Racer's idea, I just drew up the plans.

02-06-2014, 12:36 PM   #174

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
photography is far, far cheaper than fly fishing for trout.
amen!
02-06-2014, 12:39 PM   #175

Well, I spend a lot of time outdoors. Sooooo, I think its a tossup. I have outdoor gear that costs as much as I have in camera gear. Although I recently gave up motocross... That would probably take the cake of expensive hobbies I once had and miss dearly...
02-06-2014, 12:39 PM   #176
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
When tripping while tripping is one prone to tripping?

My only experience with tripping while on a canoe trip while tripping involved stepping into an open collapsable container full of hot soapy dish water. Tess still collapses on the floor laughing whenever she thinks of it.

But, in the words of Clint Eastwood from the "the Unforgiven" (and more lately quoted by Toronto Mayor Rob Ford) , - "I don't do that anymore."
02-06-2014, 12:45 PM   #177

QuoteOriginally posted by StarvingOutdoorsman Quote
Well, I spend a lot of time outdoors. Sooooo, I think its a tossup. I have outdoor gear that costs as much as I have in camera gear. Although I recently gave up motocross... That would probably take the cake of expensive hobbies I once had and miss dearly...
As I mentioned earlier, mine is on hold. But I do hope to get it back on the track soon.

02-06-2014, 01:14 PM   #178
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice-looking Z! A friend of mine campaigned one for a few years in SCCA MARRS, back in the late '80s/ early '90s. And years later I met the previous owner of the car; he had to take a ~20 year break from racing due to having kids, but jumped back in with 944s.

I have a soft spot for Zs, as my dad progressed 240Z->260Z->280Z when I was a kid. That got me interested in spots cars, although I was ~30 before I got one for myself.
02-06-2014, 01:40 PM   #179

QuoteOriginally posted by BlackTalon Quote
Nice-looking Z! A friend of mine campaigned one for a few years in SCCA MARRS, back in the late '80s/ early '90s. And years later I met the previous owner of the car; he had to take a ~20 year break from racing due to having kids, but jumped back in with 944s.

I have a soft spot for Zs, as my dad progressed 240Z->260Z->280Z when I was a kid. That got me interested in spots cars, although I was ~30 before I got one for myself.
Thanks.

The red car has racing history from 1979, mostly with ICSCC, a regional club much like SCCA, and it also was run at SCCA meets. I picked it up in 1989, ran through the novice program then in 1990 finished 3rd in the season championship. In 1997 I ran both ICSCC and SCCA meets, and took the championship on the SCCA side, earning a slot at the West Coast Runoffs.

Unfortunately I was out of money and had to pass on going to the runoffs.
02-06-2014, 02:26 PM   #180
Loyal Site Supporter

I frequently remind my wife that a buddy of mine is an amateur rally racer and fixes up his own cars for said racing...now there's some money.
It's gotta be fun, though!