Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2014, 05:59 PM   #211

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
When lasers were first actually implemented, they measured how powerful they were based on how many gillette razor blades they could burn through because gillette made razor blades that were more uniform in thickness, material strength, etc. than any other thing the scientists could find or make at the time.
I remember reading about that.

Pentax certainly wasn't building lenses in the 1960s for technology that was 40-50 years away, but they were one of the few that was building lenses that could stand the test of time.
Makes perfect sense!

I have a lot of respect for that kind of ethic.
Me too.

And that is why we shoot the best, Pentax.

02-08-2014, 06:05 PM   #212
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Flying once a week in a rented Cessa runs around $750, which puts you half way to a K-3 with lens, or $9,000 for the year, in 645D territory for sure!. Aviation is probably not the most expensive hobby, but if you buy your own aircraft, it can move up near the top of the list.

$50,000 reasonably equipped used Cessna, so figure a monthly payment of around $1,000 if bought on installment plan
$2,400 hanger fees or maybe 1/3 of that if you just want to tie it down out in the open (tough on paint jobs)
$3,000 aviation fuel for weekly short flights (less, or more, depending on hours of flight)
$4,000 aircraft insurance
$300 physical exam
$3,000 annual maintenance

There are also unprogrammed expenses, like leaving the plane at an airport away from home because of bad weather, then driving home, then driving back for the plane when the weather clears.
Ivan, I live in a fly-in community.... but I'm not a pilot and I don't have a plane. We have residents here with their own hangars and they fly right from the runway to the hangar at their house....very cool.
There's even a guy with a helicopter. He lands it on a sort of dolly at the end of the runway and then he pulls it right into his garage with a golf cart. The planes here have the right of way on the roads since they don't have a reverse gear
It's pretty cool - but yes, it's a very expensive "hobby"!
02-08-2014, 06:13 PM   #213

QuoteOriginally posted by peterjcb Quote
Ivan, I live in a fly-in community.... but I'm not a pilot and I don't have a plane. We have residents here with their own hangars and they fly right from the runway to the hangar at their house....very cool.
There's even a guy with a helicopter. He lands it on a sort of dolly at the end of the runway and then he pulls it right into his garage with a golf cart. The planes here have the right of way on the roads since they don't have a reverse gear
It's pretty cool - but yes, it's a very expensive "hobby"!
I always thought it would be fun to live in a community like that.

A friend from high school worked hard and saved his money and bought a helicopter in his mid twenties. He had also bought 25 acres in the country, so he kept the chopper at his home.

It was fun to go visit, he almost always wanted to take people up for a ride.
02-08-2014, 06:23 PM   #214
Pentaxian

Hm, but to keep things in perspective, the cost of photography also depends on some things.
For example, gear can often be sold off and you get at least some money back. Especially for lenses or high quality tripods.
And it can bring in lots of value. Even if you dont sell prints or photos, the photos you take can still have a lot of value to you, your family, friends.
And there are odd benefits, like it makes you travel, find new places, meet new people, see the wold in a different perspective (literally, through a lens!

So yeah, its expensive, but I can sell of my gear and get around half of the money back easily and it provided me with many delights and new experiences. Now sure, many other hobbies can do similar things, but probably not quite as many

02-08-2014, 06:24 PM   #215
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
More in my camera and lenses right now, but that is slowly changing as I have the kit I am happy with now. It's so much easier to buy/sell/trade lenses than guns.........
If you're like me you don't want to get rid of any of your guns, where lenses are easier if you get one to replace another one!
02-08-2014, 06:30 PM   #216

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
If you're like me you don't want to get rid of any of your guns, where lenses are easier if you get one to replace another one!
I still have every gun that I ever purchased or was given to me.
02-08-2014, 06:55 PM   #217
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ziscwg Quote
Photography most expensive hobby? Oh hell no............Try mountain bike racing and road riding those 100 milers. The K-3 body costs what my wheelset costs on one bike.
My son's boss has convinced him to start riding a road bike. He said, "Go to a bike store and get measured for a TREK. Look at a $4,000 bike. Then say you'll have to talk to your wife and leave.

Go on Craigslist - you can get that exact bike within a week for $500."

I guess that's their version of showrooming.
02-08-2014, 07:40 PM   #218

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
My son's boss has convinced him to start riding a road bike. He said, "Go to a bike store and get measured for a TREK. Look at a $4,000 bike. Then say you'll have to talk to your wife and leave.

Go on Craigslist - you can get that exact bike within a week for $500."

I guess that's their version of showrooming.
Yeah, the same bike for $500 from the guy who didn't talk to his wife first!

02-08-2014, 09:08 PM   #219
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Yeah, the same bike for $500 from the guy who didn't talk to his wife first!
Failure to plan is a plan to fail. See he should have had a plan to get it approved by the budget committee before the trip to the shop.
02-08-2014, 09:12 PM   #220

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
Failure to plan is a plan to fail. See he should have had a plan to get it approved by the budget committee before the trip to the shop.
That's right. Isn't that what a (marital) partnership is all about?
02-08-2014, 11:36 PM   #221
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

I think I may have more in my guns than my photography gear, but I'm not sure. Both are expensive hobbies.
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I still have every gun that I ever purchased or was given to me.
That's pretty cool. I wish I could say the same. I had a couple stolen from me at one time in the 1990s, and I had to sell one at one time, but I have 9 of them now and I am thinking about getting another one. Feeding them is kinda expensive, but I love to target practice, and I have the land to do it on.
02-08-2014, 11:46 PM   #222
Veteran Member

That's pretty cool. I wish I could say the same. I had a couple stolen from me at one time in the 1990s, and I had to sell one at one time, but I have 9 of them now and I am thinking about getting another one. Feeding them is kinda expensive, but I love to target practice, and I have the land to do it on.
I miss my AR15s that I had to leave with family in Alabama. They are illegal out here, or so im told
02-09-2014, 12:04 AM   #223
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by j2photos Quote
I miss my AR15s that I had to leave with family in Alabama. They are illegal out here, or so im told
Yep, illegal there unless they are modified to hold less than 10 rounds and have a permanent fixed magazine. I enjoy my regular one as well as my SKS.
02-09-2014, 12:05 AM   #224
Veteran Member

Yep, illegal there unless they are modified to hold less than 10 rounds and have a permanent fixed magazine. I enjoy my regular one as well as my SKS.
I used to love shooting my buddies SKS. Hard to beat a 7.62
02-09-2014, 09:40 AM   #225
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

They are cheap to feed too. I get 7.62x29 for around 5 dollars per box of 20.