Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2014, 07:01 PM   #256
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I do a lot of anime cons and I see people carrying around BJDs quite a bit. I collect anime figurines (I have about 150 of them) and since one of the series I like is Rozen Maiden I checked into what the actual BJDs from them would cost to add to my collection. Needless to say I did not add them to my collection. I think the closest I have to a BJD is a 12 inch Miku Hatsune Pullip that I bought from someone who needed the cash. I paid WAY under what it was valued at, and now she's a part of my collection.
I have a couple of Jun Planning's other dolls, the J dolls that I found thrifting a couple of years back that they just threw into the Barbie bin because they didn't realize what they were. Pullips remind me very strongly of Blythe. I collect the mini Blythe dolls, the cheap pet shop ones, but I rather covet a 12" clone. A real Blythe is way too much for my wallet vintage or neo notwithstanding, she's way too dear. I rather like the Pullips but not enough to collect them, though I have pondered a mini or two. Most of my dolls are anti-anime BJD's actually. I never thought I'd get into BJD's because they were so expensive and for a long time they had that anime aesthetic which I am just not much into. But the past 3 years or so there have been companies springing up selling resin MSD sized BJD's brand new for as low as $100 and SD sized dolls for well under $200 and when you can get them used for less than half that besides it really makes it a lot more affordable.

This is my latest. She's a Jun Planning BJD too. She was a gift. She's my first mini BJD. Her name is Thyme. She's too cute.

Jun Planning AI Ball Jointed Doll Thyme Q 715 | eBay

I think I will end up with this one eventually too. I'm totally smitten and I figure Little T needs at least one pal her size and type around to play with...

Jun Planning AI Ball Jointed Doll Aster Q 702 | eBay

I'm going to try not to let these little mini BJD's become a major obsession though at $40-100 a pop they're not something I want to be buying like Monster High dolls. Actually. MH dolls those totally are the dolly equivalent of crack. They're so totally addictive it's crazy. Nobody I know has just one. They have whole huge collections of the monsters, and yes, I am talking adults. My nieces got me hooked on them. Between the 3 of us we probably have at least 200 of them. The kids have more than I do, but I still have a whole bookshelf worth at this point. Every time I think I am done they come out with some cool new character and it's so much for my being "finished" with collecting them. :P

Last edited by magkelly; 02-11-2014 at 07:12 PM.
02-11-2014, 07:08 PM   #257
Site Supporter

Have you ever seen the really freaky "just born" baby dolls? Apparently, there's a huge subculture around them.
02-11-2014, 07:17 PM - 2 Likes   #258
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
YOLO! My husband's stroke last year hit me hard with the finiteness of our existence.
Indeed, we are given but this one fragile shell to house our soul while we spend our time in this world. Some of us leave an indelible mark that persists for generations, even a millennium.

Most of us come and go with nary a whisper, save for the few who are very close to our hearts.

Yet we all possess the ability to move mountains with little effort/
02-11-2014, 07:19 PM   #259
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I guess I also have one more expensive hobby, and that is my anime collection. I have well over 300 full series on DVD and bluray.

02-11-2014, 07:21 PM   #260
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Indeed, we are given but this one fragile shell to house our soul while we spend our time in this world. Some of us leave an indelible mark that persists for generations, even a millennium.

Most of us come and go with nary a whisper, save for the few who are very close to our hearts.

Yet we all possess the ability to move mountains with little effort/
Very eloquent. I always thought my husband & I would grow old together, but the truth is that I'll consider myself fortunate to reach our silver anniversary together.
02-11-2014, 07:44 PM   #261
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Very eloquent. I always thought my husband & I would grow old together, but the truth is that I'll consider myself fortunate to reach our silver anniversary together.
Thank you Amy.

Never discount the power of positive thought!
02-11-2014, 09:19 PM   #262
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Have you ever seen the really freaky "just born" baby dolls? Apparently, there's a huge subculture around them.
Yes. I'm not easily freaked out by most dolls. I love horror dolls even, but those totally creep me out. There's these new vinyl life sized kid dolls that look like 5 year old Japanese sex dolls too. I find those creepy as heck too. They look like something a pedophile would just about adore.

02-11-2014, 09:35 PM   #263
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Yes. I'm not easily freaked out by most dolls. I love horror dolls even, but those totally creep me out. There's these new vinyl life sized kid dolls that look like 5 year old Japanese sex dolls too. I find those creepy as heck too. They look like something a pedophile would just about adore.
Eww!

Do they come complete with the PedoBear seal of approval? That's just plain sickening.

Some people claim that the Just Borns help people with pregnancy or infant loss. As a nurse, I don't demean or dismiss any healthy grieving process, but these just seem to prolong the grief process, even interminably. The person just stays in the denial phase, with their dead child frozen in time and plastic/porcelain.
02-12-2014, 08:39 AM   #264
Pentaxian

I hardly recognize the place. And it is overrun by strangers, from strange lands. English is no longer the dominant language. And the roads are so poorly maintained. I rue every time I see the name of a city there on a load assignment.
This post smacks of xenophobia. Similar arguments have been used against every ethnic/racist group at some point in the USA's history. "The fureners from [Mexico/Ireland/Italy/Japan/India/etc] are ruining the country." Did your ancestors originate from elsewhere before overrunning the USA with their strange culture and language?

I hope the mods lock this thread soon. We've already got a lot of political posts in the thread.

Last edited by DeadJohn; 02-12-2014 at 09:17 AM. Reason: typo
02-12-2014, 09:27 AM   #265
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
This post smacks of xenophobia. Similar arguments have been used against every ethnic/racist group at some point in the USA's history. "The fureners from [Mexico/Ireland/Italy/Japan/India/etc] are ruining the country." Did your ancestors originate from elsewhere before overrunning the USA with their strange culture and language?

I hope the mods lock this thread soon. We've already got a lot of political posts in the thread.
Well you can read whatever you want into my statement.

QuoteQuote:
My birthplace would be hard to find
It changed so many times

Renegade, by Steppenwolf
As I made clear, after having been away for a very long time, the place of my birth no longer exists, the only thing that remains is the soil on which the city was built.

Even most of the buildings are gone.

If my honesty troubles you then perhaps the problem lies within you, and how you choose to interpret what others say, and not my expression of how I perceive the changes to my hometown.

I made absolutely no remarks directly about any individuals or ethnic groups.

Make whatever of it you wish.
02-12-2014, 09:51 AM   #266
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly:
There's these new vinyl life sized kid dolls that look like 5 year old Japanese sex dolls too. I find those creepy as heck too. They look like something a pedophile would just about adore.
Eww!

Do they come complete with the PedoBear seal of approval?

4chan anyone?
02-12-2014, 10:00 AM   #267
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Eww!

Do they come complete with the PedoBear seal of approval? That's just plain sickening.

Some people claim that the Just Borns help people with pregnancy or infant loss. As a nurse, I don't demean or dismiss any healthy grieving process, but these just seem to prolong the grief process, even interminably. The person just stays in the denial phase, with their dead child frozen in time and plastic/porcelain.
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote

4chan anyone?
02-12-2014, 10:11 AM   #268
Site Supporter

HAHA! I've been trolling the internet since the 90s, and I have the images to prove it!
02-12-2014, 10:17 AM   #269
Veteran Member

Original Poster

I have a thing for airplanes, and although I have never obtained a pilot's license, I have many hours operating light planes. A few years ago the Collings Foundation had 3 of their WWII bombers at an airport near my home, selling rides to raise money for their flying museum. I went to get a ride, in the Mitchell B25, but they were sold out for the day.

The guy told me I could buy a "flight lesson", essentially an hour of right seat time, where I would have full control of the aircraft, save for takeoff and landing.

Cost?

$2,000.

I nearly choked.

But then I said, "You throw in a couple t-shirts and its a deal".

[/url]
I don't have $2,000 for an hour in a plane, nor would I spend it if I had the money..... but I did drive my 1986 Porsche 944 Turbo from Omaha, NE where I purchased it, to North Carolina and I did hit 145 mph on an open stretch of road through some cornfields....until I realized how fast I was going. It then dawned on me that if Smokey caught me, I would most likely end up in jail so I backed off....LOL
It was a rush through....
02-12-2014, 10:41 AM - 1 Like   #270
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by peterjcb Quote
I don't have $2,000 for an hour in a plane, nor would I spend it if I had the money..... but I did drive my 1986 Porsche 944 Turbo from Omaha, NE where I purchased it, to North Carolina and I did hit 145 mph on an open stretch of road through some cornfields....until I realized how fast I was going. It then dawned on me that if Smokey caught me, I would most likely end up in jail so I backed off....LOL
It was a rush through....
It was fun, wasn't it?

And yes, the Revenue Rangers would have a field day with you. Remember the guy on the bike in Minnesota a few years back? Something like 200 or so.

And he thought he could outrun them.

Never beat the Motorola.

Ever.