Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2014, 05:12 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I had a weakness for Hardy Perfects and cane rods in every line weight.
I prefer something that doesn't whimper when you try to retrieve your fly from a tree...

01-28-2014, 05:14 PM   #32
Veteran Member

It's close between photography and my outdoor adventuring (bicycle touring, hiking, snowshoeing).

This year I want to take up ski-touring (I'm sick of snowshoeing down mountains) and do a little more travelling than I did last year.

Thankfully those hobbies can at least compliment my photography by giving me photo opportunities.
01-28-2014, 05:18 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My most expensive hobby by far is .... Living Indoors, due to house prices in Sydney.

Being married, having kids and making sure everyone eats food regularly adds up too.

Photography gear is expensive , I admit i've spent a bit building a kit in the last 3 years. It's time to shift the spending more towards travel.

But....a 5-day NZ skiing holiday cost more than all the photography related expenses last year.

20 years ago I was into Skiing, Cars and Sailing and was always BROKE.

Now its paying off a house, supporting family, photography and skiing maybe once a year and I'm STILL BROKE !
01-28-2014, 05:22 PM   #34
Veteran Member

I spend WAAAY more dollars on my motorcycling. Just on rego/insurance/tyres/fuel/etc. Not to mention Accommodation etc on trips away.

01-28-2014, 05:24 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would have to say, despite what my wife says, that photography is not my most expensive hobby. But then:
1. I buy gear on a budget. Have a family to feed
2. I can't afford to do the more expensive hobbies any more!

Previously I used to fly (power to commercial level and gliders).
Then got in to cheaper radio control gliders (but increasingly more serious models over time) - I spent more on that than camera gear so far.
01-28-2014, 05:33 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I've owned several Orvis cane rods but never purchased anything new from them. At the stupid point I had eBay Hardy Perfects and cane rods in several line weights. Kinda like K lenses. But I also fished for years in rubber waders and tennis shoes and had one Lamiglass rod and a cheap reel.
I used to have a classic car but that took all my dough, sold it 4 years ago and started to get back into photography seeing as digital finaly reached a stage of similar quality as film.
I had a K-x to start out then moved up to the K-5(wifey was a little against that because she originally got mr the K-x as a Christmas gift, and it kinda hurt her feelings because she felt that I felt the K-× wasnt good enough, even though I told her I just outgrew it and needed something more rugged, weathersealed and more automated buttons to make shooting easier for me when I no longer have to go digging around a bunch of menues during criticle shooting moments. I still use the K-x too)
Two years ago when I moved up to the K-5, I also got the 18-135lens for our summer vacation walk around lens, she freaked out over the $400 price tag too.
over the past two years I have convinced her of the value of a good lens, but still really had no way to justify buying them for just a "hobby". Now I have a golden opportunity to make some serious dough with my photography, I am renting two lenses for my first gig for around 150 bux, now wifey is asking me how much they will cost to just buy them, some some reason she is NOW seeing the investment potential in such lenses........THEY CAN MAKE US SOME SERIOUS MONEY!.....lol its funny how they come around when it involves potential income possibility.
She does however agree this hobby is a LOT cheaper than my classic car hobby I used to have.
I know once she sees me getting gigs and making money, she will actually push me to get whatever I need when it comes to eqipment, and she also knows that no matter how expensive the lens is, there is a good chance we can resell them for close to our original purchase price, she is starting to understand the value a lens holds........now I just need to convince her to get a K-3 body or two to compliment future lenses
01-28-2014, 05:42 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I prefer something that doesn't whimper when you try to retrieve your fly from a tree...
You mean me? Whimper? When you buy used they cost less than a new Sage or Loomis or Winston.

I usually tied my own flies and leaders and got my stuff mostly from Hook and Hackle (Corto-Pa will know them) and Feather-Craft (which is 5 minutes from my house). Missouri is dessicated limestone karst, springs and wild native brown populations in the spring branches. Rainbows are mostly stocked.

30 years ago the rivers were virtually empty except me and my friends; maybe 100 people. The TU clubs literally kept things going. Then fly fishing became too cool for school (at least around here) so I stopped. I'm back to one rod and one reel.

Last edited by monochrome; 01-28-2014 at 05:51 PM.
01-28-2014, 05:50 PM - 1 Like   #38
Veteran Member

Do we classify coke n hookers as a hobby?
01-28-2014, 05:57 PM   #39
Veteran Member

I try and coax free range grass fed meat out of the local forests :-) Way more expensive than cameras!
01-28-2014, 06:02 PM - 2 Likes   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dcBear78 Quote
Do we classify coke n hookers as a hobby?
Thats not a hobby, thats a lifestyle
01-28-2014, 06:28 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Wife/kids don't really count as a hobby.
Electronics are my most expensive hobby (router, cable modem, ethernet over powerline adapters, laptop(s), iPad mini, touchpad... )
Sports were more for a while - Curling as a sport in Los Angeles isn't cheap.
Photography is catching up.
01-28-2014, 06:41 PM   #42

Its an epic battle between my watch collection.
01-28-2014, 06:53 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Cameras
Film
Cars

But, money's tight at the moment, so pretty much everything will be put on hold until I can get back to where I want to be financially.
I just need to stop spending....
01-28-2014, 08:27 PM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

1. Track driving
2. Cooking (pots and pans, custom knives, etc.)
3. Audio
4. Photography

#2 would spring far into the #1 spot if kitchen renovation/ addition costs were included...
01-28-2014, 08:32 PM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
a kayak that will sometimes be used for wildlife photography.
What is the focal length of that kayak?