Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2014, 01:28 AM   #61
Site Supporter

I consider travelling a hobby, and it's far more expensive than photography is. Also, I doubt I would be into photography (or at least DSLRs) if it wasn't for my holidays to far off places. I almost consider my photography hobby as a subset to my travel hobby.

And beyond the acquiring of gear photography isn't that expensive, is it? The running costs are much less than they used to be a few decades ago. I don't spend much on labs these days, or on chemicals and paper, and nothing on film. And I don't need an enlarger and other dark room equipment (other than a decent PC).

I suppose this hobby, at least for me, has changed quite a lot. In the film days I didn't have more than a few lenses and spent my money on film and development. Now it's much more about the lenses and other gear. Of course, I have more money to spend now, too.

01-29-2014, 01:39 AM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I like the thought that someone said here earlier about once you have your kit it becomes cheaper. So then you can dedicate funds to travel to use it. I am very nearly getting to this stage. Couple more and I can't see any more lenses I would like for now.
01-29-2014, 01:41 AM   #63
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dcBear78 Quote
I like the thought that someone said here earlier about once you have your kit it becomes cheaper.
Unfortunately for me my kit is never complete.
01-29-2014, 05:46 AM   #64
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dcBear78 Quote
Seriously?
My speaker cables, CARDAS NEUTRAL REFERENCE 3.0M FULL RANGE SPADES at Music Direct
My interconnects, CARDAS NEUTRAL REFERENCE INTERCONNECTS (PR) at Music Direct.
I have three pairs of interconnects because my system is bi-amplified.

I bought the speaker cables second hand for about half of retail. I bought the interconnects at a discount from a store that was clearing them out. I didn't want expensive cables, but the system is just not the same without them. Fortunately they will never need replacement.

01-29-2014, 07:18 AM   #65
Veteran Member

I'm reminded of my dad's hobby... wooden boats, especially of the sailing variety. The definition of a boat is 'a hole in the water into which you throw money'.
01-29-2014, 07:19 AM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
My speaker cables, CARDAS NEUTRAL REFERENCE 3.0M FULL RANGE SPADES at Music Direct
My interconnects, CARDAS NEUTRAL REFERENCE INTERCONNECTS (PR) at Music Direct.
I have three pairs of interconnects because my system is bi-amplified.

I bought the speaker cables second hand for about half of retail. I bought the interconnects at a discount from a store that was clearing them out. I didn't want expensive cables, but the system is just not the same without them. Fortunately they will never need replacement.
Fortunately I've managed to avoid the expensive cables... but vintage directly heated triodes can add up...
01-29-2014, 07:26 AM - 1 Like   #67
Pentaxian

Nope, I've a collection of custom handmade 7-string jazz guitars and they are much more expensive than my camera gear.

Last edited by mikeSF; 01-30-2014 at 09:37 AM.
01-29-2014, 08:33 AM   #68

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
I'd say with the rise and popularity of cell phone cameras and Instagram, it doesn't have to be an expensive hobby.
Most decent cell phones cost more than entry level slrs lol

01-29-2014, 08:37 AM   #69
Veteran Member

halt! I have a question for everyone: which man-toys-hobbies actually typically gain value over time, vs which ones lose money?
I can safely say, with photography, only vintage stuff holds its value most of the time, and less common Pentax lenses seem to appreciate in the current market. Otherwise everything depreciates...
In hi-fi, probably the same about vintage gear, otherwise it is all depreciation...
Other doo-dads, guitars and pens and cars and such may appreciate if collectible and there's a cult around them, otherwise these too depreciate.

Fine watches and jewlery tend to appreciate, though if they contain gold and gold prices fall, there may be some adjustment...

So long term, what hobbies also have the possibility of keeping their worth over time? These would be the cheapest.
01-29-2014, 08:47 AM - 1 Like   #70
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kendosis Quote
Most decent cell phones cost more than entry level slrs lol
Right, but how many of those entry level SLRs let you make phone calls, send texts and surf the web?
01-29-2014, 08:59 AM - 1 Like   #71
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
... So long term, what hobbies also have the possibility of keeping their worth over time? These would be the cheapest.
We're talking hobbies not investments. By the standard set above, feeding dollar bills into a change machine and keeping the quarters sounds like a great hobby
01-29-2014, 10:19 AM   #72

Photography, LBA specifically, prolly is my most expensive hobby, but not the one I spend the most money on, which is music and guitars, or pedals I should say. In other words, I buy $100 pedals for my guitar music more often than I buy lens or camera gear, which means it's prolly more expensive in the long run. But the lenses I want now are DA* lenses, about $750 each, used, so it is more expensive but I spend less money on photography. Guns and shooting is a close third, between new handguns and ammo.
01-29-2014, 11:03 AM   #73
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It can be very useful for many of us, if we make a poll, and show the results to wives and other family member, demonstrating to everyone that photography is not the most expensive hobby.
01-29-2014, 11:14 AM   #74
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
It can be very useful for many of us, if we make a poll, and show the results to wives and other family member, demonstrating to everyone that photography is not the most expensive hobby.
I was just about to post that I will have to show this to my wife so she can see just how much worse it could be if I had a different hobby… could be much more expensive, take up much more space, make me absent far more often… and I'm 100% sure she'd rather hold a second lens for me than hold a trout.
01-29-2014, 11:15 AM   #75
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
vintage directly heated triodes can add up...
Yeah, tube rolling is esoteric and expensive. I've always avoided tubes because anything that deteriorates gradually would play on my Audiophilia Nervosa. I'd always be wondering if my tubes were up to par. Solid state failure is sudden, obvious, and uncommon.

I've purchased about 2500 recordings. At say $10 average, that's $25,000, even without considering the cost of the stereo. That's several times the cost of my photography hobby.