Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2014, 12:57 PM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I've purchased about 2500 recordings. At say $10 average, that's $25,000, even without considering the cost of the stereo. That's several times the cost of my photography hobby.
Luckily my average price should be a lot less, as I collected my LPs in the 70s through 90s... but the CDs I suppose bring up the average. When moving house I sold/donated/disposed of something like 7 linear feet of LPs and several cartons full of CDs. Also, a guy with a wad of cash showed up at our yard sale and managed to get me to sell him a big portion of my tube stash, some modified Dyna tube amps, a Magnum Dynalab and I threw in a Meridian DAC. All at low prices, but I'm glad as all that stuff was going to cost to move and store, and the new house is much smaller...

My audiophilia nervosa was cured when I built my own amps. That said, my taste is much like my taste in cameras: e.g. vintage loudspeakers of the JBL/Dynaco variety. If not in a hurry, I can sell these for what I paid for them, or more.

01-29-2014, 01:02 PM   #77
Veteran Member

You don't rip your CDs to FLAC and trade or resell them? Much more cost effective and better quality than iTunes.
01-29-2014, 01:06 PM   #78
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
You don't rip your CDs to FLAC and trade or resell them? Much more cost effective and better quality than iTunes.
Or check them out them from the your local library and do the same thing.
01-29-2014, 01:08 PM   #79
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
can you audio nuts get a room please

Pete
ex Quad 22/2 ESL Ariston SME V15/IV owner

01-29-2014, 01:12 PM - 2 Likes   #80
Lens Buying Addict

This is my second photography post on this thread (there are three about fly fishing for trout). Combining the first post here with my post on the "Just how many Pentax cameras do you own?" thread I conclude that I have two photography-related hobbies:
  1. Taking phorographs, usually with a Pentax camera and lens.
  2. Buying vintage Pentax cameras, lenses and accessories.
Hobby #1 is virtually free and I spend little time doing it.
Hobby #2 is ridiculously expensive, and I spend obscene amounts of time thinking about, reading about, posting about, inventorying, organizing, reorganizing, getting out, looking at, putting away and worrying about Pentax cameras, lenses and accessories. I would feel really guilty about this, except . . . . .

My wife:
  1. Sits on old chairs
    1. virtually free, an hour a day
  2. Buys 18th C. and early 19th C. American furniture
    1. ridiculously expensive, obscene time
01-29-2014, 01:22 PM   #81
Loyal Site Supporter

I've purchased about 2500 recordings. At say $10 average, that's $25,000, even without considering the cost of the stereo. That's several times the cost of my photography hobby.
9 Disney trips in 6 years. 3 of which were on property in Disney hotels before I convinced my husband that DVC would be more cost effective. If I add it up, I think my husband might blow a gasket. Just an estimate though: probably $10k total for the first three trips, $20k for the DVC ownership, $15k total for the next 6 trips, $850 year for the dues on DVC.

Your stereo is at least tangible, right?
01-29-2014, 01:24 PM   #82
Veteran Member

Nope... tinkering and racing my cars is my most expensive hobby...
I could of bought 2 complete system medium format cameras by now easily...
01-29-2014, 01:31 PM   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
Well now I might, and I even have one of them CD recorders in addition. But I hardly ever do anything. No time, too many records and CDs. Digital storage wasn't viable/cost effective till relatively recently. Also, I realized I'd never have the time to listen to each recording, even once, during my life time, nor would I want to. So away it went!
Now? I'm not that into the whole thing, due to time and space constraints.

But yea, there's the problem of a few cartons of poorly organized minilab film envelopes. Theoretically I should scan at least the better pics, but again: no time to do so.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Taking phorographs, usually with a Pentax camera and lens.
Buying vintage Pentax cameras, lenses and accessories.
Hobby #1 is virtually free and I spend little time doing it.
Hobby #2 is ridiculously expensive, and I spend obscene amounts of time thinking about, reading about, posting about, inventorying, organizing, reorganizing, getting out, looking at, putting away and worrying about Pentax cameras, lenses and accessories. I would feel really guilty about this, except . . . . .

My wife:
Sits on old chairs
virtually free, an hour a day
Buys 18th C. and early 19th C. American furniture
ridiculously expensive, obscene time
But net cost of the ridiculously expensive and obscenely time consuming items? My guess is that likely your wife would make more selling her chairs than you selling your old cameras?

01-29-2014, 01:33 PM   #84
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
9 Disney trips in 6 years. 3 of which were on property in Disney hotels before I convinced my husband that DVC would be more cost effective. If I add it up, I think my husband might blow a gasket. Just an estimate though: probably $10k total for the first three trips, $20k for the DVC ownership, $15k total for the next 6 trips, $850 year for the dues on DVC.

Your stereo is at least tangible, right?
Hopefully you took lots of photos.

The time share is a resaleable asset?
01-29-2014, 01:34 PM   #85
Pentaxian

Yes, photography is the most expensive hobby, but for me, it's cure and healer, maybe and life saver... From that point of view photography is priceless for me.

01-29-2014, 01:43 PM   #86
Loyal Site Supporter

Hopefully you took lots of photos.

The time share is a resaleable asset?
Of course I've taken lots of photos, most of which stink because I have NO idea what I'm doing. I'm learning to improve my photography slowly. Actually, the whole reason I bought an slr was because on our second trip I missed a TON of great shots because of the shutter lag between pressing the button & the camera actually deciding "oh, you REALLY DO want to take a picture" *click* Things like Chip & Dale dancing the hula with my daughter, who was 8.5 at the time. You can't get time back. She's 13 now.

I suppose the timeshare is a resaleable asset... Do you have one I can buy? Add-onitis is probably a lot more expensive than LBA...
01-29-2014, 01:44 PM   #87
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Or check them out them from the your local library and do the same thing.
That is considered piracy.
01-29-2014, 01:52 PM   #88
Veteran Member

Motorsports was my most expensive hobby, fortunately I gave it away before I finished building my first motor...

Then photography...still going on that after a couple of years off

And cycling now too, probably not too far behind photography in cost...
01-29-2014, 02:17 PM   #89
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
That is considered piracy.
So is ripping a CD and then selling or trading the CD without getting rid of the recording. So is singing Happy Birthday without paying ASCAP fees.
01-29-2014, 04:51 PM   #90

Depends how you measure expensive; I once spent too many weekends working and it cost me my relationship and thus also my house.

I just calculated I spend about 2,000 a year on alcohol, which is more than I spend on photography. If I'd quit drinking four years ago, I could have a 645d now. But if I hadn't bought a K5 and lenses I could have an extra bottle of port now and then. Comme ci, comme ca.

Life is about balance, and occasionally losing balance.