Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 44 Likes Search this Thread
02-02-2014, 03:13 PM   #121
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Does cooking count as an expensive hobby. Foie gras, rabbits, ducks, lamb, and wine all add up but you gotta eat, right? Maybe not that good though which makes it a hobby/passion.

02-02-2014, 03:50 PM   #122
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
Does cooking count as an expensive hobby. Foie gras, rabbits, ducks, lamb, and wine all add up but you gotta eat, right? Maybe not that good though which makes it a hobby/passion.
Yes. Because high quality chef kitchen wares are pricy. As is high quality & luxury foods. Over & above what you would have spent on an average food.
02-02-2014, 04:03 PM   #123
Pentaxian

Photography is my most expensive hobby. Buying books....on history, vintage vehicles....comes up second. Then collecting vintage motorcycles...only have two and at my age that will be it.

Fly fishing used to be an expensive hobby....Hardy reel, rods, flies.....but one of the things about aging is that your body starts to fall apart. I can't fly cast for long anymore so that hobby has fallen by the wayside. I used to use wet flies and focus on Northern Pike.
02-02-2014, 06:30 PM   #124
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
Yes. Because high quality chef kitchen wares are pricy. As is high quality & luxury foods. Over & above what you would have spent on an average food.
I don't have expensive kitchen wares, no one has ever come over for dinner and said "this was delicious, what kind of pot do you use." But most of my spending goes towards ingredients, actually not that much more expensive than cooking "normal" food and cheaper than a lot of my young, single co-workers who eat out 3-4 times per week and eat TV dinners the rest of the time.

02-02-2014, 06:41 PM   #125
Site Supporter

It's still a hobby. I could argue that eating out is a hobby too.

Good kitchen equipment costs more. It's true that every home cook needs basic equipment, but people who enjoy cooking & do it as their hobby will spend more on the equipment that makes it easier or more enjoyable.

Last edited by dansamy; 02-02-2014 at 06:46 PM.
02-02-2014, 08:42 PM   #126

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm a bit of a geek, so my tech toys are running neck and neck with my photography expenses. Then there is my love of travel too. I figure there are far worse things I could be doing with my money, such as gambling, drinking or smoking it away come to mind. As long as I can pay for it without going into debt - so nothing gets charged unless the cash is there to take care of the bill when it comes in, then why not.
02-03-2014, 07:01 PM - 1 Like   #127
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Mike, I find cooking very relaxing and can spend hours preparing a meal....of course a nice bottle of wine or some single malt Scotch makes it even more relaxing and enjoyable...

02-03-2014, 07:02 PM   #128
Site Supporter

I wish that I liked cooking. We eat out far too much because I hate to cook even simple meals.
02-03-2014, 07:04 PM - 1 Like   #129
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I wish that I liked cooking. We eat out far too much because I hate to cook even simple meals.
...you're not drinking enough...
02-03-2014, 07:13 PM   #130
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by peterjcb Quote
...you're not drinking enough...
You might be exactly right! I never have had much of a taste for alcohol. Maybe if I did drink a glass or two while cooking, I might enjoy the process a little more.
02-03-2014, 07:17 PM - 1 Like   #131
Veteran Member

Cook with wine. Even put some in the food now and then.
02-03-2014, 08:23 PM - 1 Like   #132
Pentaxian

Is photography my most expensive hobby?

NOOOO. Not by a long shot.

I like target shooting and stuff along those lines. Depending on what you are shooting the bill can rack up fast. Believe me... you can rack up a bill in no time especially if you go for the fine stuff. It's very easy to rack up a bill in the thousands of dollars in just an afternoon, and that isn't even considering the purchase of gear.

Yes you can do something relatively cheaper like shooting skeet (clay frisbees), but if you get the bug and just want to 'test out' some of the more crazy stuff...it just gets stupid.
02-03-2014, 08:58 PM   #133
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by peterjcb Quote
Mike, I find cooking very relaxing and can spend hours preparing a meal....of course a nice bottle of wine or some single malt Scotch makes it even more relaxing and enjoyable...
I think part of the reason why I love cooking and photography so much is because both are a mix of art and science.

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
Is photography my most expensive hobby?

NOOOO. Not by a long shot.
No pun intended, right

QuoteQuote:
I like target shooting and stuff along those lines. Depending on what you are shooting the bill can rack up fast. Believe me... you can rack up a bill in no time especially if you go for the fine stuff. It's very easy to rack up a bill in the thousands of dollars in just an afternoon, and that isn't even considering the purchase of gear.

Yes you can do something relatively cheaper like shooting skeet (clay frisbees), but if you get the bug and just want to 'test out' some of the more crazy stuff...it just gets stupid.
I am surprised it took so long for someone to mention shooting. I would have said this, but it is not my hobby but I am aware how expensive guns and ammo are by some of my friends who are into it.
02-03-2014, 09:32 PM   #134
Pentaxian

I am surprised it took so long for someone to mention shooting. I would have said this, but it is not my hobby but I am aware how expensive guns and ammo are by some of my friends who are into it.
Just go try to 'test out' a M134. The thing costs about $5000 per minute to shoot just in ammo costs alone, not to mention owning one... ha! $250,000 bucks just to get a whiff. A friend of mine has an MP5 and that thing costs close to $25,000.

Even if you go with your more run of the mill stuff... it's so easy to blow a lot of money.

Now keep in mind I also very much enjoy international travel, which can be expensive and cheap both depending on where and what you do. I am rabid about cooking. I love it. Obviously there is photography. I enjoy polo but I can't play even if I wanted to (injury). Boating is awesome as well. I am a former competitive water skier (talk about a money pit---especially if you buy all new gear)...I also really enjoy snow skiing, surfing, scuba, fishing, and just about anything in the water.

I need to win powerball.
02-03-2014, 10:16 PM   #135

It used to be. Since a few months, I've been trying to turn it into a more lucrative enterprise due to lack of work in other fields I have worked. If anyone has an idea on how to earn some money in photography ASAP, reply this post.