Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 44 Likes Search this Thread
01-28-2014, 03:30 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Photography is far, far cheaper than fly fishing for trout.
If you buy everything from Orvis, sure.

01-28-2014, 03:30 PM   #17
Pentaxian

My 2 bikes (Tri and Road) cost more than my combined Pentax stuff.
Thats not adding in the mini velo, bike changes, wheels and all that (though most of that is behind me)

Furthermore, bikes depreciate and wear, don't hold much value and some stuff are obviously over priced ($1500 for a pair of aluminium rims with steel spokes, call it 'lightweight race wheels' add some sticker bling and all of a sudden, its 'worth it' )
01-28-2014, 03:34 PM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

golf.

I went looking for a new driver the other day, saw the prices and thought to myself, that's almost half the price of a K3!

not to mention 60-100 USD per round 4-5 rounds per month 10 months a year. driving range fees.

oh and sports psychologists visits, chiropractor visits, golf balls and more golf balls.

though on wife #4, one could say marriage is my most expensive hobby
01-28-2014, 03:39 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
It is not the cost of the gear. The cost is going to Livingston, Montana and getting a guide to show you where to catch the trout in northern Yellowstone. Or on the Shields River in the Crazies.

01-28-2014, 03:40 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Flying, private aviation is more expensive

To go out flying once a week for a couple of hours sets me back about $450-500. That almost amounts to one K-3, one FA 31, or something else equally desirable every month. Annually, it amounts to about $6,000, probably $7,000 when you factor in aviation charts, aviation paraphernalia, mileage to the airport, etc., or about the price of a Pentax 645D or maybe two full-frame K-?s.

If you buy your own plane, the costs rise rapidly , and comparing the hobby to photography no longer makes any kind of sense at all.
01-28-2014, 03:42 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
golf.

I went looking for a new driver the other day, saw the prices and thought to myself, that's almost half the price of a K3!

not to mention 60-100 USD per round 4-5 rounds per month 10 months a year. driving range fees.

oh and sports psychologists visits, chiropractor visits, golf balls and more golf balls.

I buy an annual golf membership here up north. Unlimited rounds for $1150, including cart. My carpenters' pension pays for golf and photography and my wife is out of the loop.
01-28-2014, 04:04 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote

haha....

01-28-2014, 04:10 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
All of my current hobbies are interconnected. I'm heavily into astronomy but my most expensive gear is for astrophotography rather than visual observing. Bought an RV van last summer, buying it used still cost more than all my telescopes plus cameras, and I often use it for weekend trips to darker skies. Also planning to finally purchase a kayak that will sometimes be used for wildlife photography.

Photography can be a relatively inexpensive hobby when funds are tight. A used DSLR can keep someone going for years. Even a cell phone cam can suffice but it will be much more limiting.
Astronomy was my other expensive hobby, but recently it's been on a back burner & camera gear has been catching up. Hopefully some day I'll have more to spend on stargazing & golf, but for now it's go-slow time.
01-28-2014, 04:21 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by waterfall Quote
It is not the cost of the gear. The cost is going to Livingston, Montana and getting a guide to show you where to catch the trout in northern Yellowstone. Or on the Shields River in the Crazies.
Meh. I have trout streams 20 minutes from my house. An hour and a half and I can be on a named pool on the Beaverkill.
01-28-2014, 04:30 PM   #25
Site Supporter

Meh. I have trout streams 20 minutes from my house. An hour and a half and I can be on a named pool on the Beaverkill.
Amen.

I have Great streams even closer to me here in the Lehigh Valley, PA.

01-28-2014, 04:38 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I have a really good kit now, but wife (recreational), grandkids liabilities and travel are far more expensive hobbies than photography. However the wife always picks on my camera gear. I need to back off about her wise cracks as I need most of her hand baggage weight or car space when we travel.

Last edited by Bob from Aus; 01-29-2014 at 11:50 PM.
01-28-2014, 04:45 PM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
Ha! As I remember Mike at Wings Camera in Atlanta once said that while photography is an expensive hobby, its far cheaper than the car hobby, and far, far cheaper than having a mistress...not to mention a LOT safer!

My achilles heel...........And a trail riding, offroad expedition Jeep at that!!! Anyone that knows what J.E.E.P. stands for knows what I'm talking about.
01-28-2014, 04:49 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Corto-PA Quote
Amen.

My uncle used to catch wild brook trout in a stream a 20 minute walk from my house. They screwed that up when they ran a sewer line down the middle of the creek...
01-28-2014, 05:04 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've owned several Orvis cane rods but never purchased anything new from them. At the stupid point I had eBay Hardy Perfects and cane rods in several line weights. Kinda like K lenses. But I also fished for years in rubber waders and tennis shoes and had one Lamiglass rod and a cheap reel.

Last edited by monochrome; 01-28-2014 at 05:16 PM.
01-28-2014, 05:10 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Corto-PA Quote
Amen.

I have fished the Trico fall and been at my desk by 9:00, but most of the water is 90 minute or so SW. Beaverkill and PA are heaven,, though a Caddis hatch in Missouri can be pretty thrilling.