Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 44 Likes Search this Thread
02-03-2014, 11:43 PM   #136
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Racing. So much so that it has been on the back burner for a few years while I pay down the mortgage on the house I designed and built 6 years ago.

02-03-2014, 11:47 PM   #137
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
I wish that I liked cooking. We eat out far too much because I hate to cook even simple meals.
So . . . . . . you didn't like making that fake potato soup you were making the other day?
02-03-2014, 11:50 PM   #138
Site Supporter

Lord, no. My oldest son does most of the cooking. Did ever mention that I love that kid?

And it's really easy to make, honestly. Chicken broth, cauliflower, bacon, cheese.

We made chili last Monday before the arctic blast got us. 4 pounds of beef, 3 pounds of beans, 2 pounds of sausage. Again, another easy to dump in one pot kind of thing.
02-03-2014, 11:55 PM   #139
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Lord, no. My oldest son does most of the cooking. Did ever mention that I love that kid?
Yes, I think you have.

And it's really easy to make, honestly. Chicken broth, cauliflower, bacon, cheese.
Oh yes, here we go again, bacon and cheese!

We made chili last Monday before the arctic blast got us. 4 pounds of beef, 3 pounds of beans, 2 pounds of sausage. Again, another easy to dump in one pot kind of thing.
Lessee, 9 pounds, um, you're gonna be eating chili for a couple days.

02-03-2014, 11:58 PM   #140
Site Supporter

Well, there's five of us. If you count the walking appetites covered in skin, you might as well add a couple-three more.

It was dinner Monday, Tuesday and lunch Wednesday.
02-04-2014, 12:09 AM - 1 Like   #141
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

If you count the walking appetites covered in skin, you might as well add a couple-three more.
That's funny!

You could say your expensive hobby is parenting.
02-04-2014, 12:28 AM   #142
Veteran Member

I suspect , my Photograph Hobby/Work is definitely the most costly. Followed by my R/C and modeling hobbies.

02-04-2014, 03:41 AM   #143
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
You have to differentiate between gear and participation costs. Looking solely at gear, I'd say that many popular hobbies have an entry point around US$1500. The problem for many hobbies is the participants are rarely happy to limit their gear to that initial basic acquisition. I'm certainly guilty of always looking to add to or improve my gear. At some point you have to ask yourself if you are a hobby participant or has your hobby transitioned into a gear collection? I view collectors of all stripes as having the most expensive hobby.

Photography is somewhat unique in that it often accompanies other hobbies. So now the question becomes - which hobby do you assess the cost? Would you have purchased that piece of photographic gear if it wasn't for the other hobby? If the answer is no, then it might be more fair to assign the cost to the other hobby. Example- I am a scuba diver. I view the cost of the underwater case for one of my cameras to be a scuba expense rather than a photographic expense. This is in spite of the fact that I sometimes use the UW case not underwater, but in other severe environments to protect the camera.

I said participation costs should be viewed separately. Yes they are part of the hobby, but are they an integral part of the hobby? For me, scuba is cheap because I live near a major diving location and can dive from shore. My participation costs are higher only when I want them to be. That isn't true for other divers. Unless a golfer lives in one of those homes that include course privileges, participation costs are fairly high. For a photographer, it depends on your desired subject matter. Participation costs are all over the board. And again, photography is unique in that it often accompanies other hobbies. So is your hobby travel photography or travel?

So long as I control my LBA, I view photography as a pretty inexpensive hobby compared to others.
02-04-2014, 04:42 AM   #144
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
just realised it may be, not photography but acquiring equipments really are, i have to scrounge for it. but restoring lens from damaged conditions is fulfilling.
looking for quality broken lens, donations preferred
02-04-2014, 09:27 AM   #145
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
You have to differentiate between gear and participation costs. Looking solely at gear, I'd say that many popular hobbies have an entry point around US$1500. The problem for many hobbies is the participants are rarely happy to limit their gear to that initial basic acquisition. I'm certainly guilty of always looking to add to or improve my gear. At some point you have to ask yourself if you are a hobby participant or has your hobby transitioned into a gear collection? I view collectors of all stripes as having the most expensive hobby.

Photography is somewhat unique in that it often accompanies other hobbies. So now the question becomes - which hobby do you assess the cost? Would you have purchased that piece of photographic gear if it wasn't for the other hobby? If the answer is no, then it might be more fair to assign the cost to the other hobby. Example- I am a scuba diver. I view the cost of the underwater case for one of my cameras to be a scuba expense rather than a photographic expense. This is in spite of the fact that I sometimes use the UW case not underwater, but in other severe environments to protect the camera.

I said participation costs should be viewed separately. Yes they are part of the hobby, but are they an integral part of the hobby? For me, scuba is cheap because I live near a major diving location and can dive from shore. My participation costs are higher only when I want them to be. That isn't true for other divers. Unless a golfer lives in one of those homes that include course privileges, participation costs are fairly high. For a photographer, it depends on your desired subject matter. Participation costs are all over the board. And again, photography is unique in that it often accompanies other hobbies. So is your hobby travel photography or travel?

So long as I control my LBA, I view photography as a pretty inexpensive hobby compared to others.
Very good points Jim.

Indeed diving can get costly when travel and other costs are factored in for excursions to places like Hawaii or the Bahamas.

And the cost of pasture pool has gotten way out of hand. Greens fees even at a muny can be astronomical. When I played regularly I preferred to go to a different course each time for variety. Now most of them are so popular that you have to book a tee time like it is a doctor visit, and as mentioned greens fees are ridiculous.
02-05-2014, 03:48 PM   #146
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
I don't have expensive kitchen wares, no one has ever come over for dinner and said "this was delicious, what kind of pot do you use." But most of my spending goes towards ingredients, actually not that much more expensive than cooking "normal" food and cheaper than a lot of my young, single co-workers who eat out 3-4 times per week and eat TV dinners the rest of the time.
I never thought of that before. Why do photographers hear "nice picture, you must have a good camera" but chefs don't get "tasty meal, your pans must be good"?
02-05-2014, 03:56 PM   #147
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
I need to win powerball.
Gambling is another expensive hobby, but fortunately not for me. I spent one day in Las Vegas and one in Atlantic City and don't feel any desire to return.
02-05-2014, 04:19 PM   #148
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by peterjcb Quote
a nice bottle of wine or some single malt Scotch
QuoteOriginally posted by Colbyt Quote
Cook with wine. Even put some in the food now and then.
This looks like it belongs in the rambling K-3 thread. It's mutated and gone airborne!
02-05-2014, 05:50 PM   #149
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
This looks like it belongs in the rambling K-3 thread. It's mutated and gone airborne!
We are Hocir. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile!
02-05-2014, 06:28 PM   #150
Veteran Member

Photography is more than likely my second most expensive hobby. My cars keep my wallet fairly thin. I have never been satisfied with stock vehicles. Even my nicer cars get tuned or upgraded in some fashion. The other problem is the more expensive the car the more expensive the upgrades are i.e. Audi....