Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2014, 02:45 PM   #181
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
I frequently remind my wife that a buddy of mine is an amateur rally racer and fixes up his own cars for said racing...now there's some money.
It's gotta be fun, though!
What you see in the photo I posted is all my work. When I bought the car it was lime green on one side, traffic cone orange on the other side, and a bright blue stripe down the middle about 2 feet wide. It had a bolt in roll bar, and mismatched wheels.

I ran the novice program and then stripped the car to the bare shell. Built a full roll cage in it, then painted it inside and out, and the bottom too.

I completely rebuilt everything, suspension, engine, differential, if there was something that was part of the car I worked it over.

It was like a brand new car when I was finished with it.

A lot of the guys in the club pay someone else to prepare and maintain their cars. I don't know if I could find someone who I could trust enough to do that and then go out and run at twice the national speed limit.

02-06-2014, 03:37 PM   #182
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote

A lot of the guys in the club pay someone else to prepare and maintain their cars. I don't know if I could find someone who I could trust enough to do that and then go out and run at twice the national speed limit.
Never. What ifs are too critical.
02-06-2014, 04:31 PM   #183
Veteran Member

What you see in the photo I posted is all my work. When I bought the car it was lime green on one side, traffic cone orange on the other side, and a bright blue stripe down the middle about 2 feet wide. It had a bolt in roll bar, and mismatched wheels.

I ran the novice program and then stripped the car to the bare shell. Built a full roll cage in it, then painted it inside and out, and the bottom too.

I completely rebuilt everything, suspension, engine, differential, if there was something that was part of the car I worked it over.

It was like a brand new car when I was finished with it.

Wait, people pay other to work on their cars???
02-06-2014, 08:38 PM   #184
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by j2photos Quote
I know, what a concept, huh?

02-06-2014, 09:01 PM   #185

I know, what a concept, huh?
Isn't that like saying "We built a house" when you really mean "We paid a bunch of other people to put a house in a field." I always thought actually working on the car was most the fun of racing.
02-06-2014, 11:02 PM   #186
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by meeverett Quote
Isn't that like saying "We built a house" when you really mean "We paid a bunch of other people to put a house in a field." I always thought actually working on the car was most the fun of racing.
Although I always enjoy wrenching, the actual competition is the most enjoyable part of racing for me. The wrenching plays a huge part for sure. And the camaraderie is great too. Even though everyone is battling door to door on the tack, in the paddock if someone needs a hand there is never a shortage of those who will help their competitors out.

As for the guys who pay someone else to build and prep their cars, well it is sports car racing, and there are those who want to feel the thrill of competition but either can't or don't want to get their fingernails dirty, and can afford to pay others to do so.

They show up with a helmet and 3 layer nomex driving suit, climb in and go.
02-06-2014, 11:05 PM   #187
Veteran Member

It depends on the car really, some cars I HATE to get under the hood but others are just pure joy

02-06-2014, 11:07 PM   #188
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

I've always had a strong dislike for front wheel drive cars.

Very strong.
02-06-2014, 11:10 PM   #189
Veteran Member

I've always had a strong dislike for front wheel drive cars.

Very strong.

Try all wheel drive, the Audi is a PITA. But she makes up for it on the twisties. Ive always ENJOYED working on classics, and 80s-90s Hondas(i know, weird) Most everything else makes me angry and gets me cursing like a sailor. I refuse to let anyone work on my cars because I dont trust them to do the job right, such is my plight.
02-06-2014, 11:23 PM   #190
Veteran Member

Depends on the car, and the job.

I'll happily do brakes, suspension, etc on my MX5 (miata), and I'll even happily fabricate bits as needed.

But I won't do an oil change.
Mainly because the oil filter is tucked right up under the intake manifold, and reaching it with a decent grip means you need 3 elbows per arm.

Thankfully my partner is a mechanic, so I just get her to do it for me :P
She works on MGs all day, so it's a treat for her to touch something not rusty :P
02-06-2014, 11:45 PM   #191

As for the guys who pay someone else to build and prep their cars, well it is sports car racing, and there are those who want to feel the thrill of competition but either can't or don't want to get their fingernails dirty, and can afford to pay others to do so.
It takes all kinds and honestly, I understand their position, it's just all those years I spent in garages coming out of me...

They show up with a helmet and 3 layer nomex driving suit, climb in and go.
That reminds me of one of my brother's friends. My brother and he decided they were going to start racing. After investing quite a bit of time, money, and effort into the car by himself, my brother got really frustrated and asked the guy whether he planned to help at all. He replied, "I bought a helmet and borrowed a suit; I thought I was the driver." It didn't take very long before my brother was a team of one.

It depends on the car really, some cars I HATE to get under the hood but others are just pure joy
Sometimes it's me more than the car. Some days I thoroughly enjoy working on my Integra and others I'm convinced it was designed by Satan, built by children and I hate every minute I'm under the hood. That said, I can say I pretty much dislike working on newer vehicles like my wife's car; you know the ones that require you to spend 35 minutes taking plastic covers off of things just to be able to start the job.
02-07-2014, 12:14 AM   #192
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Try all wheel drive, the Audi is a PITA. But she makes up for it on the twisties.
My Subaru is all wheel drive, so I can relate.

But I don't find maintenance and repair on it problematic.

Most everything else makes me angry and gets me cursing like a sailor.
I knew a guy who could not get anything done wrenching unless he used such foul language that even truck drivers and sailors would blush.

I refuse to let anyone work on my cars because I dont trust them to do the job right, such is my plight.
That is probably why I became a mechanic so many years ago.

But after 30 years I decided to "retire".

Now I drive a truck and curse like a sailor.
02-07-2014, 12:17 AM   #193
Veteran Member

My Subaru is all wheel drive, so I can relate.

But I don't find maintenance and repair on it problematic.

I knew a guy who could not get anything done wrenching unless he used such foul language that even truck drivers and sailors would blush.

That is probably why I became a mechanic so many years ago.

But after 30 years I decided to "retire".

Now I drive a truck and curse like a sailor.
I can attest that german made cars make you curse and ask yourself why in the hell did they do that?! but once you get into it and analyze what they did and why you realize that they are pretty damn smart, but you still curse them for making things difficult to do.

Also, you are ahead of me, I just curse like a sailor and that is all
02-07-2014, 11:32 AM   #194

Photography most expensive hobby? Oh hell no............Try mountain bike racing and road riding those 100 milers. The K-3 body costs what my wheelset costs on one bike.
02-07-2014, 12:47 PM   #195
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
is photography your most expensive hobby?

Between 3 camera bodies, 3 bikes and 3 cars it's not even a close race