Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 44 Likes Search this Thread
02-07-2014, 04:49 PM   #196
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ziscwg Quote
Photography most expensive hobby? Oh hell no............Try mountain bike racing and road riding those 100 milers. The K-3 body costs what my wheelset costs on one bike.
In another thread here there was some discussion about a carbon fiber bike.

Costs more than I earn in a month.

And although I really like the look of carbon fiber, and think it would be really cool to have a bike so light that I could pick it up with one finger, I have a hard time justifying a purchase for a bike that costs that much.

02-08-2014, 12:28 AM   #197

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
In another thread here there was some discussion about a carbon fiber bike.

Costs more than I earn in a month.

And although I really like the look of carbon fiber, and think it would be really cool to have a bike so light that I could pick it up with one finger, I have a hard time justifying a purchase for a bike that costs that much.
Yeah, A good carbon road frame can set you back $3000 easy. To spend that kind of money, you have to be able to make decent use of it. Climbing big mountains is where the low weight really pays off. It's just like any hobby, the nice stuff is pricey. I'm sure many would scoff and paying $700 or more for a good lens. Yet many hear could see the value in it.
02-08-2014, 12:59 AM   #198
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Flying, private aviation is more expensive

Flying once a week in a rented Cessa runs around $750, which puts you half way to a K-3 with lens, or $9,000 for the year, in 645D territory for sure!. Aviation is probably not the most expensive hobby, but if you buy your own aircraft, it can move up near the top of the list.

$50,000 reasonably equipped used Cessna, so figure a monthly payment of around $1,000 if bought on installment plan
$2,400 hanger fees or maybe 1/3 of that if you just want to tie it down out in the open (tough on paint jobs)
$3,000 aviation fuel for weekly short flights (less, or more, depending on hours of flight)
$4,000 aircraft insurance
$300 physical exam
$3,000 annual maintenance

There are also unprogrammed expenses, like leaving the plane at an airport away from home because of bad weather, then driving home, then driving back for the plane when the weather clears.
02-08-2014, 08:23 AM   #199
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ziscwg Quote
Yeah, A good carbon road frame can set you back $3000 easy. To spend that kind of money, you have to be able to make decent use of it. Climbing big mountains is where the low weight really pays off. It's just like any hobby, the nice stuff is pricey. I'm sure many would scoff and paying $700 or more for a good lens. Yet many hear could see the value in it.
Yes, $3000 for the frame.

Then get a pair of wheels, forks, brakes, seat, etc.

I saw one that was over $10,000.

My first car was $500.

And true, I have spent over $700 for a lens. But it is a great piece of glass!

02-08-2014, 10:32 AM   #200
Veteran Member

Yes, $3000 for the frame.

Then get a pair of wheels, forks, brakes, seat, etc.

I saw one that was over $10,000.

My first car was $500.

And true, I have spent over $700 for a lens. But it is a great piece of glass!

Just a piece of glass!? Sir, it is Pentax glass. That, is far more than "just a piece of glass".
02-08-2014, 10:59 AM - 1 Like   #201
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by j2photos Quote
Just a piece of glass!? Sir, it is Pentax glass. That, is far more than "just a piece of glass".
No, I said "great", not "just".
02-08-2014, 11:42 AM   #202
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by j2photos Quote
Pentax glass = great glass?

Some people are huge fans of the colors from Pentax.

02-08-2014, 11:48 AM - 1 Like   #203
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
Pentax glass = great glass?

Some people are huge fans of the colors from Pentax.
For sure. I read all the time about the Canikons using adapted Pentax glass on their cameras.

Gotta be a reason.
02-08-2014, 11:52 AM   #204
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
When I was originally shopping for my first DSLR, I got the impression that Pentax was the only system to support legacy glass because it was the only company (other than zeiss or leica) which has always produced glass that could meet the precision required by digital sensors.
02-08-2014, 12:17 PM   #205
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
When I was originally shopping for my first DSLR, I got the impression that Pentax was the only system to support legacy glass because it was the only company (other than zeiss or leica) which has always produced glass that could meet the precision required by digital sensors.
How could a lens manufacturer produce glass meeting the precision required by digital sensors, when the digital method of image capture had yet to be conceived?

Perhaps the person who made that statement meant to imply that the quality had always been that good, and not that they somehow could foresee the future?
02-08-2014, 01:23 PM   #206
Site Supporter

How could a lens manufacturer produce glass meeting the precision required by digital sensors, when the digital method of image capture had yet to be conceived?

Perhaps the person who made that statement meant to imply that the quality had always been that good, and not that they somehow could foresee the future?
I think that's probably it. That Pentax glass has always been carefully & precisely made.
02-08-2014, 03:51 PM - 1 Like   #207
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery

Correct, they always maintained a level of quality that was much higher than that demanded by film. There are some companies that manufacture stuff to a precision above and beyond the actual requirements. When lasers were first actually implemented, they measured how powerful they were based on how many gillette razor blades they could burn through because gillette made razor blades that were more uniform in thickness, material strength, etc. than any other thing the scientists could find or make at the time.

Pentax certainly wasn't building lenses in the 1960s for technology that was 40-50 years away, but they were one of the few that was building lenses that could stand the test of time. I have a lot of respect for that kind of ethic.
02-08-2014, 04:11 PM - 1 Like   #208
Site Supporter

Superior craftsmanship will always stand the test of time. Perhaps the quality of their existing glass contributed to Pentax retaining its legacy K mount rather than creating an entirely new mount for the digital era. Taking pride in their stable of previous work, perhaps they felt that a new mount system might denote that the legacy K was insufficient for the modern, digital, high res era when they knew they'd made glass that would stand up to it.
02-08-2014, 04:13 PM   #209
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think I may have more in my guns than my photography gear, but I'm not sure. Both are expensive hobbies.
02-08-2014, 05:13 PM   #210
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I think I may have more in my guns than my photography gear, but I'm not sure. Both are expensive hobbies.
More in my camera and lenses right now, but that is slowly changing as I have the kit I am happy with now. It's so much easier to buy/sell/trade lenses than guns.........