Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2014, 02:15 PM   #1
Veteran Member

is photography your most expensive hobby?

I just got back into photography after many years and got to thinking that I've spent a bundle in the past couple of months on this latest hobby. Hopefully after this initial expenditure I've got pretty much everything I need.
It's funny how something like just taking photos can turn out to be quite expensive. I'm thinking that this is probably the reverse of a lot of other hobbies that usually start off very inexpensively and get more expensive as you get further into it...am I wrong? I've put a moratorium on buying any new equipment for at least a year...

On a similar note I've been a distance runner for many years and what started out as a very minimalist hobby has actually turned out to be quite expensive when I consider how much money I've spent on running shoes, clothes, race entries and travel expenses to get to different races, etc...it goes on & on but it is fun

I tend to try & play down what I'm spending in hopes that my wife won't notice...
...thank God that I don't play golf

Last edited by peterjcb; 01-28-2014 at 02:18 PM. Reason: spelling
01-28-2014, 02:24 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Ha! As I remember Mike at Wings Camera in Atlanta once said that while photography is an expensive hobby, its far cheaper than the car hobby, and far, far cheaper than having a mistress...not to mention a LOT safer!
01-28-2014, 02:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Definitely, by far.
01-28-2014, 02:30 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photography is far, far cheaper than fly fishing for trout.

01-28-2014, 02:30 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My photography pays for it's self which is nice. Makes purchases easier to justify to the wife!

But cycling (road and mountain) combined with skiing (XC, Alpine, AT) gets pretty expensive and I don't even travel much to do them. If I didn't live here it would be crazy expensive and I'd probably have to find something else to do.
01-28-2014, 02:30 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd say with the rise and popularity of cell phone cameras and Instagram, it doesn't have to be an expensive hobby.
01-28-2014, 02:32 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think my most expensive hobby is my three kids.

Truthfully, once you have purchased the lenses you want, the cost of photography really levels off. My wife shoots professionally and pays for the gear...

01-28-2014, 02:34 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Yes. Unless "Owning Too Many Cats and their Associated Vet Bills" counts as a hobby.
01-28-2014, 02:38 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think my most expensive hobby is my three kids.
LOL....it pays to be an empty nester
01-28-2014, 02:43 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
Yes. Unless "Owning Too Many Cats and their Associated Vet Bills" counts as a hobby.
+1 on that

Also, compared to a hi-fi hobby (again depending on what direction you take it) photography is both cheaper and takes up a lot less space.
01-28-2014, 02:48 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Hi-Fi Audio is a far more expensive hobby than photography, and along with expensive gear, you have to buy music. Real audiophiles spit on lossy compression from iTunes etc. CD quality (44.1kHz/16bit) is the minimum acceptable quality level.
01-28-2014, 02:49 PM   #12
Veteran Member

its expensive for sure, however there are others right up there with it. Take dirt biking for instance. You need a bike. You need a trailer for your bike. You may even need a new car (one that supports a trailer). You need a helmet and all other kinds of safety gear. Every time you go to the track you need to buy a pass. And all of that is not counting the medical bills in case you ever wipe out lol. It also depends on the kind of photography. Looking at the price of the DA 560mm makes me really really happy im not into birding
01-28-2014, 03:14 PM   #13
Site Supporter

I think Disney is my most expensive hobby...

We own DVC points, purchased at retail from DVD. If (read that as when) we add on, we'll almost certainly buy resale.
01-28-2014, 03:14 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Veteran Member

I would have more expensive hobbies, but I can't afford them
01-28-2014, 03:19 PM   #15
Pentaxian

All of my current hobbies are interconnected. I'm heavily into astronomy but my most expensive gear is for astrophotography rather than visual observing. Bought an RV van last summer, buying it used still cost more than all my telescopes plus cameras, and I often use it for weekend trips to darker skies. Also planning to finally purchase a kayak that will sometimes be used for wildlife photography.

Photography can be a relatively inexpensive hobby when funds are tight. A used DSLR can keep someone going for years. Even a cell phone cam can suffice but it will be much more limiting.