Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-31-2014, 03:22 PM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
That lens has been remarkably stable for years at around $90 - $99.
KEH sells it for $120. And that isn't with a ME Super, Winder ME, and Vivtar 283...

01-31-2014, 03:40 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LuisLimbert Quote
I own a Panasonic G3 with three non-kit lenses (45mm f1.8; 14mm f2.5; and a telephoto one). The pictures are great when there is plenty of light, and I love sharing them whenever possible on social media and whatnot. The only problem that I have is its low-light capability while shooting hand held and high ISO. I figured that a bigger sensor on a DSLR would do the trick and help me with low-light shooting.
I am highly considering a Pentax K-3 but my main pushback is the limited number of lenses available, accessories, and other things such as lack of coverture in books, magazines, etc., because Pentax is not one of the "big three," if you count Sony. I wanted to get Pentax users' opinions in particular if they ever felt that they were somehow left out of the picture when they do not see their systems getting paid too much attention to. There's also this sweet Sigma lens (18-35 f1.8) that is coming out soon, but even IT will not be made for Pentax. I just don't want to get into a system that I will later regret; this is my small little fear given that I do not know anyone who uses a Pentax and cannot get their opinions regarding my concern.
Thank you in advance.
Luis Limbert
I guess my main question is - what do you want to do with your camera ?
CaNikOny has a big marketing budget and is in your face with their product - In the US at least.

If you're planning to shoot professional basketball or other fast action - it may not be the best choice - as it isn't the fastest autofocus.
If you're planning to invest in a professional studio - take some time - and look into 645D.

If you're really looking to outdoors, then its a great camera. Rugged, weather sealed, light (not full frame).
If you're into it as a hobby - I don't see many issues (depending on where you live) other than trying to find a store that sells it.
I personally went against that CaNikOny grain for a handful of reasons:

1. Rugged (K-x felt tough comared to others)
2. Use of AA batteries (this saved me on more than one occasion) AA lithiums are great!
3. Bang for the buck - it had more features for less than Canon/Nikon at the time - including ISO and framerate - if that matters to you
4. Use of various lenses - you can use tons of obscure lenses on a Pentax camera.
5. In body AF motor. This may not seem like much to many... but I've heard of SDM/USM/HSM motor failures on lenses - but never of a camera drive motor failure
6. 100% view finder (pentax prism)
7. Weather resistant - I do most of my shooting outdoors
8. In body stabilization (vs. lens) - I personally like this.
9. Coloured camera body (K-x/K-30) My camera doesn't get mistaken anywhere against a sea of black CaNikOny's

Downsides of getting into Pentax - for me:
1. No local dealers - and I live near Los Angeles. Samy's doesn't carry cr@p, neither does Target or Frys.

Your fear is a valid one - though.