Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2014, 08:08 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Random mirror flop issue

I mounted my recently bought Samyang 8mm lens on my k-50 today and it was acting really strange.was taking a picture and the mirror would kind of lock up once for a couple of seconds. then it gradually started behaving more erratically and would lock up 2-3 times. i then dismounted the samyang and put back all of my other lenses (u can see them in my signature) and they were all fine. i put the samyang back on and the same thing happened.
during this mirror flopping issue, i noticed that the battery indicator would either show half full or a third full (yellow). i then proceeded to clean the contacts on the camera and also cleaned the samyang mount, put it back on and it was fine after that. after some searching on the net i came across some stories where the aperture lever would keep acting up.

sorry if this is an amateur question but is the lever supposed to be "unhinged" at the top?im assuming that once the lens is mounted, it pushes the black rectangle up and locks the arm in place, correct?i attached a picture so u can see.
anyway ive tried my camera once again with all lenses (incl.samyang) and everything is ok now. hopefully its just an issue with the dirty contacts and not a battery issue where i read somewhere on here, or even a problem with aperture lever.
hopefully someone can shed some light and let me know if there is something i can do to check if everything is ok.

Last edited by schnitzer79; 05-20-2014 at 01:38 AM.
02-01-2014, 08:23 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, your interpretation is correct.
02-01-2014, 08:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

You might want to send that in. The guide rail you are pointing out in the picture looks to be pulled out of socket. It may work now, but for how long?

Last edited by manacho2005; 02-01-2014 at 08:55 AM.
02-01-2014, 08:54 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

It should look like this..

02-01-2014, 09:32 AM   #5
Veteran Member

It appears to be a guide rail for the aperture stop down mechanism.
02-01-2014, 09:40 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
do you think it has anything to do with the mirror flop?
02-01-2014, 09:50 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I wouldn't think so, unless the lens is being hit by the mirror....
02-01-2014, 11:03 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by schnitzer79 Quote
do you think it has anything to do with the mirror flop?
Actually, it does.
QuoteOriginally posted by DragonLord Quote
I was able to replicate mirror overrun behavior on a camera that is functioning normally by holding the aperture lever in the down position. This experiment proves that the real cause of the mirror flop issue is a jammed aperture control lever.

--DragonLord

02-01-2014, 11:22 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
interesting....so i guess im better off taking it back to the dealer then since its still under warranty.
im really gutted because my 2 lenses just arrived 3 days ago and didnt have the chance to test them out properly
02-02-2014, 12:25 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
when i press the shutter (with no lens on) the lever moves up and locks in place momentarily.something which can be seen clearly with a slow shutter speed. how is the lever acting in this case when its locked in the socket in the first place.im assuming the same way right?isnt this position of the lever dependant on what aperture you have your camera before you take the lens off?

EDIT:Also please note that the mirror flopping was that one time.It all stopped when I cleaned the contacts.However, I am charging the battery now to see if it does it again.

Last edited by schnitzer79; 02-02-2014 at 12:50 AM.
02-02-2014, 07:29 AM   #11
Veteran Member

It is stabilized when it is seated in its socket. I'm sure it works fine the way it is, but you're looking at a near-future failure if it binds up just right. Without that mechanism, you'll always shoot wide open if it's stuck down, or compose and shoot at minimum aperture if it's lost completely.
Highly suggest sending it in.
02-02-2014, 12:09 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
ok i did a few more tests.the camera shoots fine and the photos are ok but im not sure about one thing.If i mount a lens with an aperture ring and i set the aperture manually on the ring, then the screen does not read the aperture value,it just read F--. yes, i changed the value to "2" for the aperture ring in the menu.i hardly ever shoot on another setting apart from "A" so i cant remember if the camera used to read the aperture or not in this case, so someone let me know.
I also attached another pic and a video.the pic shows something sticking out of the aperture lever when the lever is in the socket.should that black thing sticking out be there (shown by red arrow) ?
the video shows that the lever is stabilized in the socket when the shutter is pressed and then moves back down again.i had to use a shutter speed of 5 secs to show this properly.
if anything doesnt look right please let me know. I also read in an old thread somewhere on here that the aperture lever's position is down and only goes up when the shutter fires, so now im really confused.....

Last edited by schnitzer79; 05-20-2014 at 01:39 AM.
02-02-2014, 01:33 PM   #13
Veteran Member

That lever shouldn't even move unless you have a lens mounted, so somethings definitely up. And the piece you're pointing out is very suspicious, looks like a spring that's been unsprung.
02-03-2014, 01:19 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
yep it does look like a spring thats come unhooked.any idea what could have caused it?
02-03-2014, 04:32 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Possibly the stiffness of the 8mm, but it may have been overlooked in the factory.