Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2008, 11:25 AM   #1
Forum Member

K20D - High ISO Noise Reduction - How? How much? When?

I'm a little confused by the two Noise Reduction settings in my new K20D. Here are my questions:

1. When (17.) Slow Shutter Speed NR is set to On, then the camera only applies noise reduction when the shutter speed is slower than 0.3 seconds. So, in Auto, will it apply noise reduction at higher speeds if it deems necessary?

2. (18.) High-ISO Noise Reduction works "...when shooting with a high sensitivity setting." How high is high? When is it applied? Is ISO 400 high enough for it to kick in? How about 800?

3. When shooting RAW, do these settings have any affect? Settings like "Saturation" have an effect on the RAW image, in so far as the image without any development modifications will be processed by ACR/Lightroom (for example) using the settings that come along for the ride. Is that the same with the NR settings?

4. Finally, how good is the in-camera High-ISO NR vs. software like Noise Ninja?

Thanks!

04-13-2008, 11:57 AM   #2
PFH
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
NR is only aplied from 1600 and over, the best is to use the first two levels of NR. Otherwise you will lose too much details.
04-13-2008, 12:34 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by PFH Quote
NR is only aplied from 1600 and over, the best is to use the first two levels of NR. Otherwise you will lose too much details.
That's not correct. On page 78 in the manual it tells you that over ISO 3200 automatically has strongest selected as the noise reduction. I never found a spot where it tells us what our selection is for (i.e. ISO ? up to ISO 1600?).
04-13-2008, 12:59 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
ksignorini, so I found your question

In the early days of the K20D, myself (and others as well, I guess), thought that the NR settings would have any impact for RAW or RAW processing.

However, indications are now such that:

NR settings don't have any influence for RAW, except that the setting is stored in the meta. However, both LR and PPL seem to ignore this setting. Still have to check with LR 1.4.1 though.

JPEG quality with the K20D is excellent and meant for people wanting to avoid the post processing. I recommend the STRONG NR setting in those cases. I say this because if you want to maintain a certain flexibility to balance between noise and detail, it is better to shoot RAW anyway.

Early tests have measured K20D noise using RAW with NR settings enabled but missing to observe that it isn't in effect during RAW development.

04-13-2008, 01:14 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
OK, that's good to know.

Regarding the JPEG quality then, is **** the equivalent of something like a "12" in Photoshop terms? Just how very-little-compression is the **** version compared to the *** star version?