Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2014, 07:26 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
One thing you do not want to do with the 16-50, is zoom in and out when in the rain. The lens vents through the AF-MF switch on the barrel.
Not sure how the water got into the rest of the cam.
I wonder why they don't put a little air reservoir in with a valve that opens when you zoom so that it doesn't need to vent.

02-05-2014, 07:32 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
One thing you do not want to do with the 16-50, is zoom in and out when in the rain. The lens vents through the AF-MF switch on the barrel.
Not sure how the water got into the rest of the cam.
Once in the lens, it can migrate pretty easily to any other part, I'd assume.
02-06-2014, 04:02 PM - 1 Like   #18

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
But the usage the OP describes is the exact use case and as Heie pointed out he has subjected similar gear to much worse conditions without ill effects. It is not like he submerged the gear which would be the thing they specifically warn against.
No harm in a quick dip....

07-05-2014, 01:03 PM   #19
Forum Member

I may have just killed my DA*16-50 (reason why I just ran into your post) which I don't blame the unit for but I have to say its "WR" has always been suspect to me. Theres been at least two instances that I can recall where the internal lenses in the unit fogged up in either a humid climate or in rain, something that has not happened to me with any other lens, even non-WR (in humidity). I haven't thought to suspect the K-5 but come to think of it I don't recall having issues in the brief period I used my K-7 w/ the DA*16-50. Maybe some sort of slight variance coming off the production line, getting lucky with one and not the other? Perhaps the DA*16-50 doesn't age well? Not sure but the difference was definetely there. Shame, it was my favorite lens.

07-06-2014, 03:58 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Lens fogging up is probably not strictly a WR issue. Take a perfectly sealed lens from a cold environment to a warm environment, for example, even with a small degree of ambient humidity, and you will likely get some condensation or fogging.

Only if a perfect vacuum was maintained in a lens, and all the moisture was taken out of the lens before the vacuum was established, might you never expect fogging.
07-07-2014, 08:42 PM   #21
Veteran Member

My k5 and 16 50 was featured in the walking dead. It was fully submerged in 3 foot water and came back to life in 4 weeks time.
07-07-2014, 10:06 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robr7 Quote
I may have just killed my DA*16-50 (reason why I just ran into your post) which I don't blame the unit for but I have to say its "WR" has always been suspect to me. Theres been at least two instances that I can recall where the internal lenses in the unit fogged up in either a humid climate or in rain, something that has not happened to me with any other lens, even non-WR (in humidity). I haven't thought to suspect the K-5 but come to think of it I don't recall having issues in the brief period I used my K-7 w/ the DA*16-50. Maybe some sort of slight variance coming off the production line, getting lucky with one and not the other? Perhaps the DA*16-50 doesn't age well? Not sure but the difference was definetely there. Shame, it was my favorite lens.
I have an early 16-50, and have never had weather related problems on my K10D. It has been under a 100 foot high waterfall without failing. The main problem on that outing was trying to see through a soaked viewfinder eyepiece. A friend from an hour or so distance went under with his K200d without problems, but had to keep it under his rain jacket going under because he only had the kit 18-55. After that all was OK. Jacket again coming out.