Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2008, 11:37 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cedar Quote
Pressing the button and turning the wheel adjusts sensitivity yes... and I wouldn't want that to change in the least.
Pressing only the OK button... does nothing useful I can see, unlike when Display Sensitivity is turned Off.
The reason for this is that when you press the "OK" button, the function of one of the control wheel is changed (to change ISO instead of the default behavior of that exposure mode). In the viewfinder, you will see that the ISO number is "underlined" when you press the OK button, and you also see an arrow appearing in the top LCD. This is to make absolutely clear of this change in control wheel function with the button press. If the picture counter is displayed, this would cause confusion as the user would not be aware of the control wheel function change.

The picture counter is only displayed in the situations where there is no change in control wheel function with the press of the OK button.

To me, this is quite logical and consistent. Though may cause inconvience if you want to check the picture counter quickly. Instead, I think the picture counter should be included in the info button screen.

04-16-2008, 11:51 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
Instead, I think the picture counter should be included in the info button screen.
Agreed.

A far better solution.
04-17-2008, 01:19 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Once you start shooting raw you won't need to adjust back to jpeg because you can just convert to jpeg in the camera from the raw files, then if need be delete the original raw file.

Therefore the number of how many shots left is far better than telling you you've got 3.4GB left.
What could be useful to you is if maybe when you pressed info it showed you how many MB each file is and perhaps when fn is pressed it would show you how many GB of you SD card you've used up?
04-17-2008, 04:10 PM   #19

Semantics? Ugh.
No Cedar. I'm not trying to be a smart a***. It is just the way I see this. Honestly

For me and my shooting, this is an intuitive solution. But that's me. I'm an ISO tweaker. And I care more about ISO than pictures left.

MaritimTim

04-17-2008, 04:38 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lloydy Quote
Is there any to tell how much space is left on the SD card when it's in a K10 ?

I've looked in the manual but can't see anything.
In a pinch, when I can't remember, I just turn the mode dial to M.
04-17-2008, 06:25 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Remaining space on SD Card

QuoteOriginally posted by Lloydy Quote
Is there any to tell how much space is left on the SD card when it's in a K10 ?

I've looked in the manual but can't see anything.
On my K10D, it shows the estimated remaining number of shots in all modes, except Tav and Sv. In those modes, pressing the OK button on the back causes it to show the estimate.

My camera has firmware version 1.30. I don't know if that makes a difference. I don't remember that being one of the changes in the firmware.

Paul Noble
04-18-2008, 04:40 AM   #22
Forum Member

Yep.

I certainly wouldn't mind having the option, but I personally would never use it as I too prefer the existing "estimated shots remaining" over a percentage or MB free count.

What does annoy me is that if you set the "Display Sensitivity" setting to ON, you lose the ability to see the remaining shot count.
Where is this option located? I've got a GX-10 and cannot find it anywhere. Unless it's K10D specific.. :ugh:

04-18-2008, 10:57 AM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by daleroy Quote
Where is this option located? I've got a GX-10 and cannot find it anywhere. Unless it's K10D specific.. :ugh:
"Display Sensitivity" is a much welcomed setting my K20D.

It does not exist on my K100D.

I can check on the K10D next week.

Can check any other cameras if you'll ship it to me.
04-18-2008, 02:29 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by daleroy Quote
It is only available on the K20D and GX-20.
There were some minor changes in the viewfinder LED display of the K20D, this includes the ISO sensitivity display options, RAW/JPEG/JPEG+ display, and "underline" below the ISO display.
04-18-2008, 05:23 PM   #25
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
It is only available on the K20D and GX-20.
There were some minor changes in the viewfinder LED display of the K20D, this includes the ISO sensitivity display options, RAW/JPEG/JPEG+ display, and "underline" below the ISO display.
Ah, thanks. Just figured with the OP being about a K10D, the comment about this setting was too All good.
04-20-2008, 11:17 AM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by Fototim Quote
"Display Sensitivity = On" turnes OK button into a ISO button. Pushing the OK button enables you to adjust ISO on the fly with the front wheel. A very useful feature IMO.

One more feature with "Display Sensitivity = On": Pushing OK and Green button at the same time, switches Auto ISO on. MaritimTim
I must have my k10 set to Display Sensitivity = Off, because pushing OK displays the ISO, but nothing happens when I move the front e-dial.

QuoteOriginally posted by Fototim Quote
All this features are undocumented in the manual. Pentax, please correct this MaritimTim
I wish I had noticed this statement before looking all through the manual!
Please, let me know how to switch this On/Off?? Thanks!
04-20-2008, 11:40 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I'm sure its in there somewhere I found out about it I have my front dial + ok button set to change the ISO the front edial compensates exsposure and the rear one sets the aperture (Av mode) I have al;l three essential things at my finger tips
04-20-2008, 12:36 PM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by deludel Quote
I must have my k10 set to Display Sensitivity = Off, because pushing OK displays the ISO, but nothing happens when I move the front e-dial.

I wish I had noticed this statement before looking all through the manual!
Please, let me know how to switch this On/Off?? Thanks!
My guess is that you have a K10D wth firmware 1.0.
Switching the setting is easy. You du it in the Custom settings.

But the feature that enables the ISO adjustments came with as a firmware update. So I'd recomend a firmware update. (The feture is documented in the update, but not in the orriginal manual. I hope this helps.

What I find odd is that they don't seem to have the feature documented in the K20D manual.

MaritmTim
04-24-2008, 02:19 PM   #29

Update!

I stumbled across something last night that personally made me happy I've attached a snippet from page 122 in the manual ..

When you are in the Rec Mode Menu, under RAW File Format .. you can see how many shots are left for JPEG only, RAW, or RAW+. All you have to do is move the arrow to each item <before you even have to select it> and it will display in the upper-right hand corner.

For example, I had an empty, formatted 1G card in the camera and learned there were 260 JPEG shots left, but only 60 RAW+ shots.

Keep in mind .. whatever JPEG quality you have selected in the Menu will go into the calculation of how many JPEG shots are left.
Attached Images