Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2014, 11:23 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you to everyone for your replies! I feel foolish for not asking or researching it before now. Ah well at least I know now! Thank you.

Wanna help? Like my post please

02-03-2014, 11:23 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
I'm laughing at the idea of putting a hood on an DA 40 xs - you could almost claim there wasn't a lens on the camera at all.
Amazon.com: CowboyStudio 27mm DV-s DV Screw Mount Lens Hood with Cap for Digital Video Camera and Camcorder, Sun Shade: Camera & Photo

Amazon.com: Pentax K-01 Pro Digital Lens Hood (Collapsible Design) (27mm) + Stepping Ring 27-37mm + Nwv Direct Microfiber Cleaning Cloth.: Camera & Photo
02-03-2014, 11:43 AM   #18
MSL
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
rue, the 40mm XS is.. a special case. But someone posted it some time ago, using a step up ring and then a hood. Looked like a bulldozer! I would rather buy a cheap 27mm UV filter and then de-glass it, or use just a step up ring. Convenience is one of the things going against using a lens hood..
I appreciate the serious responses you and @boriscleto came up with. I was really just trying to be silly - for example imagine using a step up ring and then attaching a hood suitable for a 300mm lens with a 77mm ring - it would almost look like you didn't have a lens attached at all, and one could image you would no longer be called a professional
02-03-2014, 02:28 PM   #19
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SKYoung Quote
fact store them in a separate location away from my camera
I'd get them out and put on the appropriate lens and just see what a huge difference they can make to your images.

02-03-2014, 05:53 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Not sure which lenses/hoods you have, but many OEM hoods which have a bayonet mount (as opposed to a threaded mount to fit filter threads) can be mounted in a reversed position on the lens when not in use. This is convenient, because it doesn't take up any more space in your bag, and so there's no reason not to bring it along.

You don't always have to use it. Sometimes you don't have time to mount it, or you want to be stealthy and less intimidating, or you might be shooting indoors with a flash which, depending on the lens and hood, can create a little shadow in your image. That's fine, just leave it reverse-mounted, assuming it doesn't interfere with your zoom/focus rings. Some folks make fun of shooters who leave the hood in a reversed position, but personally, I'd rather see someone at least carrying their hood around.
02-03-2014, 06:06 PM   #21
Pentaxian

The answer to "should I use a hood?" is "yes" close to 100% of the time. Lens hoods improve contrast and reduce flare from bright lights. They also help shield the front glass from dirt, rain, and damage.

In terms of image quality, the only reason to skip the hood is if you have a special shot that needs intentional flare from the sun or other bright lights. Physically, sometimes the hood has to come off to shoot between fence boards or some other unique situation, but you'll recognize that when it happens. Keep the hood on until it has to come off.
02-03-2014, 06:11 PM   #22
Pentaxian

P.S. If you have the DAL 18-55 kit lens or other lens without a hood, you can buy a Pentax hood for ~$50, a plastic knockoff from EBay for ~$10, or a collapsible rubber hood that screws into the filter threads and folds up rather than has to be removed when you stuff the lens into a tight camera bag.