Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-03-2014, 06:19 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Lens Hoods

Hello,

Every lens I own has come with what I believe is termed a "hood". I've never used any of them and in fact store them in a separate location away from my camera. I know they are supposed to help with light but that's the extent of my knowledge.

Advice please!

02-03-2014, 06:24 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Wikipedia explains it pretty well.

Lens hood - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Reducing glare improves contrast. Reducing flair improves the photo, unless you want flair.
02-03-2014, 06:47 AM   #3
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A search through the posts here would also pull up a lot of useful information. Short answer - hoods serve two primary purposes. One - they help protect the lens from physical damage. No shortage of stories of people dropping their camera only to find the lens survived because the hood took the brunt of the fall, or in cases where a person was bumped in a crowded situation. A hood will also block out unwanted light and this can be especially critical on bright days. Easiest thing to say is go try out some controlled shots with and without the hood and just look at how the overall histogram of the image will change, and thus the overall contrast. If you are primarily pulling in light from the area you are trying to photograph and not from areas outside the angle of interest, you will get a better shot.
02-03-2014, 06:49 AM   #4
Pentaxian

If you use your camera enough, pretty regularly you'll smash the front of your lens into various hard objects. One of the purposes of the hood is to sacrifice itself, and/or possibly the bayonet itself, for the rest of the lens.

Look for lenses with bayonets, since they make using filters easier, and are quicker to reverse should you need to for storage. Of course bayonet hoold do, at least in my experience, sometimes wear out, so be prepared for a somewhat hefty bill if that happens. Amazingly some Pentax lenses don't come with bayonets, or some alternative convenient mounting system (28/3.5 SMCT, with the rectangular hood, for example.) You can't really take a lens seriously if the only way to mount a hood is using the filter threads. I'm sure that comment will elicit some... interesting responses :-)

Last edited by tibbitts; 02-03-2014 at 06:57 AM.
02-03-2014, 06:52 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hoodie?

Hello SKYoung, welcome to the Forum!
Yes, the (usually supplied) lens hood is one of the single most important pieces of gear you can own. I am always amazed when I see people shooting with the lens hood attached- Backwards! Well, duh, if you have it with you, it's already on the lens, why is it in the (useless) stowed position?
Light doesn't just hit your lens from the front. Regardless of the lens position relative to the sun (or, other light source) there's always plenty of stray light bouncing around from every direction.
Imagine you're on a beach, white sand, brilliant sun, reflections off the water, glare, flair, squinty eyes. Think there might be some stray light hitting your lens from...everywhere? Reducing contrast, washing out colors, creating artifacts, flare, unwanted sunburst patterns.
A circular polarizer will help cut down on the reduced contrast, but can't shield the side-light completely. That's the hood's job.
There are about a million simulations you can do to 'prove' that hoods work, and none that don't.
Hoods also prevent damage to the front element, all the accidental bumps and bangs of life in a crowded world.
Put another way; Want to spot the rookies, wannabes and newbies? No lens hood.
JMO
Ron
02-03-2014, 06:54 AM   #6
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you want a very different view of the subject - have a look at this post about making your own lens hood
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/62-do-yourself/135542-diy-lens-hoods-no-math-required.html
02-03-2014, 07:04 AM   #7
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

...and it keeps the rain/snow/dust off the front element (to a certain degree) if you're out in less than perfect conditions. Without a hood the WR would be meaningless.

02-03-2014, 07:31 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Would that every lens came with a hood.

In the modern age each lens would arrive with two hoods. One for film and full frame and another for what we live with.
02-03-2014, 08:26 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Reducing flair improves the photo, unless you want flair.
I think what the commenter meant, is that you want to increase flair, but decrease flare.

And you are off to good start if you are shooting Pentax lenses, which are generally known for their flair, and almost always come with lens hoods to decrease flare.
02-03-2014, 08:35 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
I think what the commenter meant, is that you want to increase flair, but decrease flare.
Me fail English? That's unpossible.
02-03-2014, 08:53 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Many people will tell you that using a lens hood will improve the image quality, especially if the lens hood is made for that specific lens.
a) it reduces flare (sun rays hitting the lens at an angle)
b) it might reduce the image circle to fit the sensor more snugly (depending on hood shape)
c) it reduces stray light and improves contrast

It also provides security - if you bump into something or drop the camera, the lens hood might get cracked, but it will soften the blow to the lens and camera. Unless you are using a metal hood, in which case the benefit will be minimal. Some people like to use a cheap rubber hood when taking photos in crowded places - the rubber simply bends and snaps back into place, but it prevents people from bumping into the actual lens

There are two scenarios where a lens hood is bad:
a) events - if you have a lens hood on your camera, someone might call you a pro photographer and ban you from taking photos. But if you remove the hood, even if you are a pro photographer, there is a bigger chance they will think you are an amateur and let you snap your shots.
c) high wind situations. At some angles, the hood might cause extra resistance, thus creating more vibrations and making photos blurry. But this only applies in hurricanes, storms, or if you are taking photos out of a moving car, plane, boat..
02-03-2014, 08:57 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aoeu Quote
Would that every lens came with a hood.

In the modern age each lens would arrive with two hoods. One for film and full frame and another for what we live with.
Why not just make the second one yourself - saves some money and the planet as well...
02-03-2014, 09:48 AM - 1 Like   #13
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
a) events - if you have a lens hood on your camera, someone might call you a pro photographer and ban you from taking photos. But if you remove the hood, even if you are a pro photographer, there is a bigger chance they will think you are an amateur and let you snap your shots
I'm laughing at the idea of putting a hood on an DA 40 xs - you could almost claim there wasn't a lens on the camera at all.
02-03-2014, 11:18 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It should also be noted that the hoods that came with the lenses in the film era are not tight enough to the view of the APS-C sensor. If you can do it, use a hood for a lens with 1.5X the focal length to improve results when a bright light is near the edge of the frame. For a 100 mm M series lens, for example, use the hood from a 150 mm lens when you use it on your DSLR, the orginal hood when you use it on your LX.
02-03-2014, 11:21 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
I'm laughing at the idea of putting a hood on an DA 40 xs - you could almost claim there wasn't a lens on the camera at all.
True, the 40mm XS is.. a special case. But someone posted it some time ago, using a step up ring and then a hood. Looked like a bulldozer! I would rather buy a cheap 27mm UV filter and then de-glass it, or use just a step up ring. Convenience is one of the things going against using a lens hood..