Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 230 Likes Search this Thread
04-12-2014, 09:29 PM   #196
Veteran Member

Good progress.

In case this hasn't been mentioned before, I note that the PKTether guy says 'K30 isn’t supported – probably Pentax made big change in camera firmware and PK_Tether isn’t able to communicate with camera'.

However the pktriggercord devs report no specific probs with the K-30.

I guess this implies that there may be some specific features of the K-30 that may not apply to other bodies, unless you code around some K-30 specific features, so at some stage you may need another lab-rat like an old K-5.

Interestingly, both pktether and pktriggercord report bugs with running against the K-01. That model may have some unique stuff going on it it, so may not be a useful dev platform.

04-12-2014, 10:50 PM   #197
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Small donation made - I'm an OAP.
04-16-2014, 03:08 PM - 6 Likes   #198
Forum Member

Original Poster
I now have custom code running on the camera. The image attached is my ram dumping code completing successfully.
Attached Images

04-16-2014, 07:24 PM   #199
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Shodan Quote
I now have custom code running on the camera. The image attached is my ram dumping code completing successfully.
Yaaay!

Great work Shodan, what is the next step?

04-16-2014, 10:05 PM   #200
Forum Member

Congratulations, Shodan. Everyone here is cheering for you guys. Now that you have the k30, what will future donations go toward?
04-16-2014, 11:56 PM   #201

Great!!! What's the next step?
04-19-2014, 01:09 PM   #202
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yay, I've just bought another k-30 to hack on! Thanks to all who have donated.

I believe I've reversed enough code to write my own memory dumping routine that I'll patch into the debug mode somewhere. If that works it will be a big milestone - custom code running on the camera!

I've got a roadmap / plan that I'll publish when I get it running.
i sincerely hope that the k-5ii will be the next cam on your list... Since it was the actual flagship when K-30 was out new. i hope that you go that way, afterwards, K-50 should follow, and when bodies get cheaper because the next model is out, you will go for the. K-3. I wonder if we will see your hack on the FF... on no, i have written down the dark lords name...
Thank you for your hard work. We hope that we will see some success soon. Maybe you show us some tube vid, of the hack. running or so...

04-19-2014, 01:47 PM - 3 Likes   #203
Forum Member

Original Poster
Getting code running is the first very important step in a long road. It means I have worked out enough to go from high level C code to low level code that runs on the camera and works. Crucially it proves that I've reversed engineered enough to write a file to the SD card. This means I can debug and start testing out my assumptions.

Currently i'm busy writing little programs that test my knowledge and predictions.

Next steps.
  1. Work out the cameras memory map
  2. Work out how the screen APIs work
  3. Load custom code via the SW debug menu
  4. Document!

The goal for the next few weeks / months is to get my work in a place where it can be released publicly. This will probably be at a level where developers and power users can have a go at writing little programs which are loaded via a hack to the SW debug menu. I wouldn't expect a CHDK / Magic Lantern level of functionality any time yet however.

When I do release the toolchain ideally I will release it with a simple (or so) tweak for K30. Perhaps increasing JPEG quality.

Anyway the PHDK (Pentax Hacker Development Kit) is officially coming!

QuoteQuote:
Now that you have the k30, what will future donations go toward?
The next platform of course! How about 645Z???
Can we somehow set up a poll???
04-19-2014, 02:15 PM   #204
Veteran Member

hm...

04-19-2014, 04:52 PM   #205
Veteran Member

Actually, a K-5 would a) be affordable and b) cover a LOT of users, since it is mostly identical to the K-5II and K-5 IIs.
04-19-2014, 11:21 PM   #206

K3

---------- Post added 04-20-14 at 06:54 AM ----------

Something like this...

Vote: Which camera should be the next?
04-20-2014, 12:45 AM   #207
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Actually, a K-5 would a) be affordable and b) cover a LOT of users, since it is mostly identical to the K-5II and K-5 IIs.

Sadly it doesn't quite work that way, mostly identical isn't enough. Unless you can flash the k-5's firmware to the K-5II etc.

The camera also needs to a have a ARM based processor. I believe this change happened sometime in 2011-ish.

A good rule of thumb is that if the camera is even listed on the old pentax hack site it's not a goer.
04-20-2014, 02:01 AM   #208
Veteran Member

Sadly it doesn't quite work that way, mostly identical isn't enough. Unless you can flash the k-5's firmware to the K-5II etc.

The camera also needs to a have a ARM based processor. I believe this change happened sometime in 2011-ish.

A good rule of thumb is that if the camera is even listed on the old pentax hack site it's not a goer.
QuoteOriginally posted by cheekygeek Quote
Milbeaut v3... *istD family
Milbeaut v4... K10D era (Pentax called PRIME)
Milbeaut v5... K7 through K-5/II/IIs (PRIME II - that was getting long in tooth - Focus Peaking not possible?)
Milbeaut v6... K30, K01 (PRIME-M - only seen on 12 bit cameras - Focus Peaking possible)
Milbeaut v7... K-3? 645DII? FF? (PRIME III)
If this helps in any way... I'm sure I've read somewhere which exact Fuji chip the K-5etc have.

I assumed the K-5etc have identical firmware except for the PDAF algorythm (which may or may not be identical as well, just with an added feature). Of course, I may be completely wrong, but that's how it looks from the outside.
04-20-2014, 09:14 AM   #209
Veteran Member

Anyway the PHDK (Pentax Hacker Development Kit) is officially coming!
Looking forward to it, thanks for the great work!

QuoteQuote:
The next platform of course! How about 645Z???
Can we somehow set up a poll???
I'm going to have to vote for K-3 since that's all I've got now.
04-20-2014, 02:37 PM   #210
Inactive Account

I think a good next steps would probably be K-50 and K-500 since they are probably identical HW/SW and will have only the most minute changes between firmware. They represent a lot of Pentax's highest volume products in recent years. They are also affordable enough that someone might be willing to take risks with them.

After that I would say K-3 b/c by the time it gets off the ground, it would also reach that affordablity threshold where someone is willing to risk bricking it. K-3 is probably going to be the perfect jump off for 645Z, K-3 Mk2, or other successor product.
Closed Thread