Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2015, 01:32 PM   #541
Junior Member




Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 49
QuoteOriginally posted by bootcoder Quote
Unfortunately, strings are here part of data segement and in the middle of other constants. So you can't insert something. But there is already support for many languages.
On that Canon I rewrote Finnish (Suomi) language messages with Czech. Of course I had to fit in total length of all strings but I can shift some messages a little bit. Also I have to check visual on display that the text is not running out of the bound...
BTW what do you want to do with this strings?

Here's my old Canon work but in CZ-only, maybe google translate helps..
http://rayer.g6.cz/hardware/a70.htm#A70FWH

10-30-2015, 08:12 PM   #542
Forum Member




Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 75
QuoteQuote:
BTW what do you want to do with this strings?
Same string area can be found also in K30 firm: search for bytes 30h 51h 02h. So you can translate to Czech It was just one of two strange areas in firmware. Another one contain firmware for movie codec.
QuoteQuote:
but in CZ-only, maybe google translate helps..
I really wish you had more english content and more people get knowledge about your work.

Last edited by bootcoder; 10-31-2015 at 06:56 AM.
11-11-2015, 10:26 AM   #543
Senior Member
panonski's Avatar

Join Date: May 2015
Location: Zagreb
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 242
Hello,

I didn't read all 37 pages so far, so forgive me, if there was a post about it already...

I have an experience with different camdrives in cellphones - just as a high end consumer, not developer. I remember in those days, how kids would pull out camdrives from SonyEricssonn phones, and change them to suite more better ...

They do a hell of the job - we have in the end , all kinds of manual possibilities - in ordinary phone!

-----

But now, I have a real camera, and I miss one feature here ( have a Pentax K 3 ) - photographing in different aspect ratio ( something that I have on Olympus ) .

I find the 3:2 DSLR apect ratio is not so good when I'm shooting more art photos, because in portrait mode 3:2 just have to much vertical space, to be pleasant to eye...

Is there any kind of solution to do this with changes in firmware ?


Thanks and enjoy
11-11-2015, 11:54 AM   #544
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Parallax's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: South Dakota
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 15,487
QuoteOriginally posted by panonski Quote
I find the 3:2 DSLR apect ratio is not so good when I'm shooting more art photos, because in portrait mode 3:2 just have to much vertical space, to be pleasant to eye...

Is there any kind of solution to do this with changes in firmware ?
No. As was mentioned in the 2 threads you started on the subject, one before you bought the camera and the other after the fact, no; the K-3 shoots only 3:2 aspect ratio stills.

11-11-2015, 12:06 PM   #545
Senior Member
panonski's Avatar

Join Date: May 2015
Location: Zagreb
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 242
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
No. As was mentioned in the 2 threads you started on the subject, one before you bought the camera and the other after the fact, no; the K-3 shoots only 3:2 aspect ratio stills.
Hope dies last
11-29-2015, 10:51 PM   #546
Pentaxian
richandfleur's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Palmerston North, New Zealand
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,119
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
No. As was mentioned in the 2 threads you started on the subject, one before you bought the camera and the other after the fact, no; the K-3 shoots only 3:2 aspect ratio stills.
That's the native aspect ratio of the sensor right?
So cropping that down is the only option here, whether in camera or in post, same end result.
12-02-2015, 12:50 PM   #547
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 9
Hi all,
I am a new user, but I'm reading stuff from this forum since some years. I have the opportunity to buy from a friend a used, but actually not-working, Pentax K-7. The camera is bricked: the user that owns it was upgrading the camera to a new official firmware, but he turned off the camera before it finished the process.

Is the camera recoverable? I don't want to start a new thread because I think this thread could help me to find the answer. I mean, there are a lot of things I can do with a "modified" firmware and the Debug Menu.
Is it recoverable? Or it is definitively died? Thank you in advance!
12-02-2015, 01:48 PM   #548
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,720
QuoteOriginally posted by gamma77 Quote
Is the camera recoverable?
The first thing I would do is charge the camera battery, download the latest K-7 firmware, unzip it, copy the firmware to the root of an SD card, and attempt to perform a new firmware upgrade. If that works, problem solved.

12-02-2015, 02:19 PM   #549
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 9
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
The first thing I would do is charge the camera battery, download the latest K-7 firmware, unzip it, copy the firmware to the root of an SD card, and attempt to perform a new firmware upgrade. If that works, problem solved.
The camera is fully bricked, so you can't even turn it on. The firmware itself got corrupted, I think. The camera doesn't turn on at all.
12-02-2015, 03:38 PM   #550
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Slovenia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,164
QuoteOriginally posted by gamma77 Quote
The camera is fully bricked, so you can't even turn it on. The firmware itself got corrupted, I think. The camera doesn't turn on at all.
Doesn't turn on or doesn't turn on via the switch? It might power on if you do the update key combo.
12-02-2015, 04:10 PM   #551
Junior Member




Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 49
It can happen that camera FW freeze so deep that it cannot be turned on via switch. Once it happened to me on my K-30. I though that battery is simply discharged but I tried to remove and reinsert it again and then I could turn it on normal way via switch. Battery indicator was at 1/2 so it was not fully discharged... I don't know why it happened...
I would guess that camera has some bootloader that is able to do a recovery flash but who knows how to activate. Maybe it would be enough to copy a file with right name on SD, maybe need to press something...
Also it can be programmed HW-way, if you disassemble it there would be probably testpoints that allow to connect a JTAG port and via JTAG chain it would be possible to programm the flash. But it's hard to do without any documentation. So I would rather buy another mechanically damaged camera and replace the circuit board in your camera.
12-02-2015, 11:53 PM   #552
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 147
Did you try to have batteries off the camera for few hours and reflashing? I necromanced my K100 from that way. Bootloader which loads FW update should be rather tough to kill. And use small (<2GB) SD card.
12-03-2015, 10:24 AM   #553
Junior Member




Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 49
No, I just removed the pack for a few seconds, put back and it turned on normally. It was some FW bug/deadlock not damaged FW in the flash. I wrote it because I don't know if gamma77 did tried to remove his battery so it might be this stupid case
12-03-2015, 10:42 AM   #554
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 9
QuoteOriginally posted by anemone Quote
Did you try to have batteries off the camera for few hours and reflashing? I necromanced my K100 from that way. Bootloader which loads FW update should be rather tough to kill. And use small (<2GB) SD card.
I don't have the camera here, but I suppose my friend tried it. I will contact him, but I'm pretty sure he tried this simple workaround.

QuoteOriginally posted by RayeR Quote
It can happen that camera FW freeze so deep that it cannot be turned on via switch. Once it happened to me on my K-30. I though that battery is simply discharged but I tried to remove and reinsert it again and then I could turn it on normal way via switch. Battery indicator was at 1/2 so it was not fully discharged... I don't know why it happened...
I would guess that camera has some bootloader that is able to do a recovery flash but who knows how to activate. Maybe it would be enough to copy a file with right name on SD, maybe need to press something...
Also it can be programmed HW-way, if you disassemble it there would be probably testpoints that allow to connect a JTAG port and via JTAG chain it would be possible to programm the flash. But it's hard to do without any documentation. So I would rather buy another mechanically damaged camera and replace the circuit board in your camera.
Thank you for your reply. I think the camera is completely dead. The only way perhaps is to use a JTAG, but I need at least a person that tried to figure out which are the correct pins. What a shame... An almost new Pentax K-7 bricked in this way. If somebody can help with a sort of complete restore of the software side of the camera, I'm here to learn. Anyway, everything you said was done (my friend tried to recover the camera in infinite ways, but nothing seem to work), at least I think.

QuoteOriginally posted by RayeR Quote
No, I just removed the pack for a few seconds, put back and it turned on normally. It was some FW bug/deadlock not damaged FW in the flash. I wrote it because I don't know if gamma77 did tried to remove his battery so it might be this stupid case
LOL the camera is not mine, but I think that my friend tried it a lot of times, with different batteries and different ways. This is a simple troubleshooting that everyone tries before throwing away an almost new Pentax body.


Thank you mates.
12-03-2015, 02:24 PM   #555
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Slovenia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,164
Seriously, did he try the FW update key combo?
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
bit, camera, card, chdk, code, data, debug, dslr, file, firmware, flash, fp, gps, instruction, k-30, k-50, k30, love, magic, module, notes, pentax, photography, pin, pins, sd, text
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NY area SDM Hacking dappercorpmonkey Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 11 07-26-2013 04:15 PM
Nature Resurrecting some old images - Angry Birds! Julie Post Your Photos! 4 03-07-2013 10:41 AM
k-5 firmware hacking anyone? secateurs Pentax K-5 33 10-05-2012 03:05 PM
Hacking lens' memory plis Visitors' Center 6 11-28-2011 10:58 PM
Resurrecting a MX and Super ME LiMPiNg Pentax Film SLR Discussion 4 09-27-2011 02:55 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:38 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top