Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2014, 04:49 AM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam G Quote
This makes me sad that all I can do is push the shutter button.
I completely agree, I admire whats happening here, and hope it will lead to some substantial changes/settings that might be beneficial to a klutz like me...

03-03-2014, 06:00 AM   #77
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by seyfer Quote
Great work! I can donate some money if can help.
I think I'll be getting to the point soon where in order to make more progress I'm going to really risk bricking my camera. I'm not going to do that.
I've got some ideas from what I've analysed that might make it possible to load up a second firmware in-place (CHDK and Magic Lantern style) but to test it I need to do some 'dodgy' things to the camera.

So.....I need a spare K-30. I've looked on Ebay for a faulty one but no luck. Anyway I'm open to donations so I can try and get one, alternatively if anyone has one they don't want anymore.

If you're interested please understand that any donations are given 'without return consideration'.

Hopefully there is a bitcoin millionaire here who can sort all this stuff out!

Last edited by Shodan; 03-03-2014 at 06:07 AM.
03-03-2014, 06:42 AM   #78

QuoteOriginally posted by Shodan Quote
I think I'll be getting to the point soon where in order to make more progress I'm going to really risk bricking my camera. I'm not going to do that.
I've got some ideas from what I've analysed that might make it possible to load up a second firmware in-place (CHDK and Magic Lantern style) but to test it I need to do some 'dodgy' things to the camera.

So.....I need a spare K-30. I've looked on Ebay for a faulty one but no luck. Anyway I'm open to donations so I can try and get one, alternatively if anyone has one they don't want anymore.

If you're interested please understand that any donations are given 'without return consideration'.

Hopefully there is a bitcoin millionaire here who can sort all this stuff out!
Do you have a paypal account?
03-03-2014, 08:31 AM   #79
Forum Member

Could you provide memory layout of the firmware file? There is some unencrypted header, then what offset & length is DSP FW and MCU FW?
Hooking the code may be dangerous but maybe you can minimize risk by starting to modify dev. menu code because it can be easily disabled. I hope there's some gap in FW to inject code and redirect a function from dev. menu to this user code...

03-03-2014, 08:51 AM   #80
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Could you provide memory layout of the firmware file? There is some unencrypted header, then what offset & length is DSP FW and MCU FW?
I'm hoping to get a better picture when I start dumping fw from the device

Memory layout is a bit odd. Looks like the FW is loaded into RAM at 0xA0000000. There looks to be a bootloader at 0xA0000000 which is based on the DSP fw dump from the device. The firmware file is garbage at 0xA0000000 which isn't even decrypted by firmware loader.

Loading the firmware up in IDA you can quickly see three code segments, the rest is either data or filler.

QuoteQuote:
Hooking the code may be dangerous but maybe you can minimize risk by starting to modify dev. menu code because it can be easily disabled. I hope there's some gap in FW to inject code and redirect a function from dev. menu to this user code...
Yep that's the plan but still risky. There is also the SW Debug menu which can be accessed during normal operation.

QuoteQuote:
Do you have a paypal account?
Working on it
03-03-2014, 12:03 PM   #81
Forum Member

Original Poster
signature updated.
03-03-2014, 02:05 PM   #82

QuoteOriginally posted by Shodan Quote
signature updated.
Cool!

03-04-2014, 06:30 AM   #83
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I donored 10 Pounds to shodan via paypal, a few minutes ago. If all the people who already said "cool, where is your paypal account" would also donor a few bucks, we would get to see results much sooner...
03-04-2014, 06:58 AM   #84

QuoteOriginally posted by patarok Quote
I donored 10 Pounds to shodan via paypal, a few minutes ago. If all the people who already said "cool, where is your paypal account" would also donor a few bucks, we would get to see results much sooner...
Donated 15,00 pound to shodan
03-04-2014, 07:17 AM   #85
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by patarok Quote
I echo this
03-04-2014, 09:47 AM   #86
Forum Member

donated too!
Would be great if there will be some custom firmwares for pentax.
For example it would be nice if i can adjust "fine tuning" from lenses in menu more like "-10" and "+10" for each single lens.
That would be very nice!
03-04-2014, 01:40 PM   #87
Veteran Member

Shodan, if you get enough $$, will you buy a K-5 II as well?
03-04-2014, 02:17 PM   #88
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you to everyone who has donated so far. I appreciate that we are all strangers with a love of Pentax and that you're all joining me on my quest!
If you have donated, post here so that it is transparent and so that everyone can see the generosity and the direction we are going.

QuoteQuote:
Shodan, if you get enough $$, will you buy a K-5 II as well?
Plan is to get the K-30 to a stage where many more people can take over development - perhaps an official port of Magic Lantern maybe. Then take on the other models.
Once one is done the rest should be much much easier. The first one is always the hardest.

At the moment I'm trying to bundle up the work i've done into correctly decrypting, check-summing and check-sum fixing the binary. This will make the process of making custom modification a little easier when the time comes...

Last edited by Shodan; 03-04-2014 at 04:26 PM.
03-04-2014, 10:28 PM   #89
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Donated 15,00 pounds. Your work has to be supported!!!
03-05-2014, 12:04 AM   #90

Donated as well...
20£
Closed Thread