Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 230 Likes Search this Thread
03-05-2014, 11:03 AM   #91
HavelockV

Saving Lens ROMs not possible

Hi,

I am new here so forgive me if my questions are stupid.

Am I the only one who has the impression that even though the Debug mode is open now, we still can not save LensROMs on a K-30 or K-3?

If I press "ok" on these menu items ("lens rom dat camera =>sd") nothing happens, even though it happily saves camera log files to the card.

Has anyone managed to save a lensROM to SD card using specifically a K-30 or K-3?

@Shodan:
As you are searching for the bitmaps for the icons I wonder if you couldnt search for the "Test Mode" functions in the disassembled code. The test mode does have this function "Icon test". I am no great programmer, but wouldnt it sound worthwile to search the firmware for the text string "Icon test" and then check the code around it, since this obviously calls all the icons?

03-05-2014, 12:38 PM   #92
Forum Member

Original Poster
I think some of the functionality present in the menus doesnt work on the k30. Take dumping the CPU firmware it doesnt seem to work -yet the DSP dump also has the CPU firmware.

in regards to the icons and font menus they are on my ever growing todo list.
03-05-2014, 03:16 PM   #93
jup

QuoteOriginally posted by LeFanch Quote
Donated as well...
20£
Me too.
03-05-2014, 03:45 PM   #94
Forum Member

Original Poster
Wow, I've just checked and we are almost 1/3 the way through our funding goal!

Thanks to everyone who has contributed.

03-05-2014, 07:16 PM   #95
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
15 on your way.
03-07-2014, 01:14 AM   #96

Hacking the firmware would be also nice, to analyse what's really happening with firmware updates.
e.g.: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/253934-10-firmware-...econveter.html
The converter works on K-3 and K-5 II before the update released... So what does the update really do?
03-07-2014, 01:29 AM - 1 Like   #97
Forum Member

Original Poster
Interesting to see an update, ive got tools that show the differences so i'll run them on the 1.5 and 1.6 fw.

03-08-2014, 09:09 AM   #98
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Shodan Quote
Interesting to see an update, ive got tools that show the differences so i'll run them on the 1.5 and 1.6 fw.
I'm curious about this as well since I updated my k-5 and they state that there are general stability improvements, so its possible they are still quashing bugs on older firmware. Improvements to long discontinued cameras are always very welcome regardless.
03-08-2014, 09:49 AM   #99
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zosxavius Quote
Improvements to long discontinued cameras are always very welcome regardless.
We can not like everything about Ricoh except that : firmware update even for discontinued camera
03-08-2014, 01:01 PM   #100
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jedie Quote
Hacking the firmware would be also nice, to analyse what's really happening with firmware updates.
e.g.: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/253934-10-firmware-...econveter.html
The converter works on K-3 and K-5 II before the update released... So what does the update really do?
A lot has been discussed about that already:
- Not the focal length, the TC does it itself.
- Not the aperture reading, the TC does it itself.
- The SDM AF works badly without firmware, better with firmware.
- Seems that classical AF works neither better or worse with the new firmware.
- CdAF still unkown AFAIK.
03-08-2014, 01:16 PM   #101

Photos: Gallery | Albums
omG!

Dreams are coming true! If this gets up to the capabilities of offering such custom firmwares like magic lantern to Pentax, it might turn into a golden era!
Wonderful skills! Keeping my fingers crossed to things work out perfectly!
03-09-2014, 02:23 AM   #102

Sent £1.00, will send more when finances allow.
03-09-2014, 03:36 PM   #103
Forum Member

Original Poster
I've created a tool for encrypting, decrypting and checksum-ing the Pentax K-30 firmware. It may work on other models but I haven't tested.

The most important feature is that it can also fix the checksum of a modified firmware. This means you can make firmware changes and flash it to your camera. It currently changes the Pentax Copyright string and isn't well tested so be careful!

Why is this all useful? We'll for most people it's not but when I get another K-30 I can use this tool to quickly whip-up firmware changes.

https://github.com/i-am-shodan/PentaxFirmwareTool

Attached is a progress bar of the current K-30 fundraising! Thanks everyone.
Attached Images

03-09-2014, 04:35 PM   #104
Forum Member

Thanks for your effort on decripter. What are the differences between Vitalij FRMCRYPT.EXE ?
Unfortunatelly I'm not familiar with C#/.NET (I rather use GNU tools) so is it possible to upload a binary? Or coud it be transformed to ANSI C/C++ source?
Does your program work on any FW version?
I just upgraded to FW 1.06, dumped KB524DSP.BIN and I can see it has many diffs.
First at 95B: 78 88, then
D2B: 72 82
D2F: 71 81
more...
F1D - FF3
5E2A - BE00FB
total 2256024 bytes different. Of course on source level it would be probably small change that shifts the rest of the code...
03-09-2014, 04:57 PM   #105
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Thanks for your effort on decripter. What are the differences between Vitalij FRMCRYPT.EXE ?
Unfortunatelly I'm not familiar with C#/.NET (I rather use GNU tools) so is it possible to upload a binary? Or coud it be transformed to ANSI C/C++ source?
FRMCRYPT.EXE doesn't work on the K-30, It incorrectly decrypts part of the CPU firmware. There isn't any source either which is lame.

You should be able to run the code under Mono or with Visual Studio express edition. I'm not rewriting it in C/C++. If you have a look at the source you'll see for encrypt/decrypt I currently only XOR with a key. You'll find that on GitHub.

I have however got the encrypt / decrypt routines compiled for my RaspberryPI. If someone could step through it with GDB then they could RE the original routines and write some code to decrypt properly.

QuoteQuote:
I just upgraded to FW 1.06, dumped KB524DSP.BIN and I can see it has many diffs.
Yep I ran through two IDA databases through BinDiff. There are changes to around 400 or so functions. Many of these looks like tiny tweaks that probably fix odd crashes. Then there are some completely new functions.

The good news is that my tool works on 1.5 and 1.6.
Closed Thread