Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 230 Likes Search this Thread
03-09-2014, 05:34 PM - 1 Like   #106

Keep up the good work!

I've sent you £10.

03-10-2014, 01:39 AM - 1 Like   #107

A tenner also from me. You're making really quick progress Shodan and can only imagine that will become even easier once you have a dedicated K30 for testing. Hope a few more members can chip in and help you meet the funding goal.
03-10-2014, 03:04 AM   #108
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Shodan Quote
You should be able to run the code under Mono or with Visual Studio express edition. I'm not rewriting it in C/C++. If you have a look at the source you'll see for encrypt/decrypt I currently only XOR with a key. You'll find that on GitHub.
Well, so you say that only thing to do is to load FW file, xor.key file and XOR byte by byte? It would be a few lines in ansi C, I'll try. For check, if I XOR the file 2-times it should give same result. Decrypter for canons worked like that (one pass decryption another pass encryption). But what if length of future FW update will change? We need new xor key and also for other camera models. Is the CPU part encrypted with different key that cause old frmcrypt failed?
It's cool that you managed to run the routines on R-pi, I also have one board
03-10-2014, 03:34 AM   #109
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
But what if length of future FW update will change?
I've reverse engineered the update process. The firmware is a fixed size so for now at least this shouldn't be an issue. The greater goal is to correctly RE the decrypt routines but this is low priority at the moment.

QuoteQuote:
Is the CPU part encrypted with different key that cause old frmcrypt failed?
Kind of, the decrypt/encrypt routines take an offset as a parameters. DSP, CPU etc have different offsets. This is used to compute the key to XOR with. FRMCRYPT.EXE works for the most part by the end of the binary is corrupted.

QuoteQuote:
It's cool that you managed to run the routines on R-pi, I also have one board
Are you able to reverse engineer code on it? If so I could give you my firmware decryptor code which uses the real camera logic to decrypt it.

03-10-2014, 08:55 AM   #110

Is there anything known about low level firmware flash methods?
for a bricked body... something like a software rescure flash mode or a hardware solution e.g. JTAG / UART hardware interface etc.
03-10-2014, 09:45 AM   #111
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Is there anything known about low level firmware flash methods?
for a bricked body... something like a software rescure flash mode or a hardware solution e.g. JTAG / UART hardware interface etc.
There looks like there is a UART on it (from the software side). If I do end up bricking a donated camera I will crack it open and take it to my friends with a hardware lab. I suspect there will be a JTAG somewhere.

One of the first things i'm going to do with my custom firmware is a wide variety of ROM dumps. I'm hoping to find a bootloader at 0x00000000. That's pretty much how Canons work.
03-10-2014, 03:39 PM - 2 Likes   #112
Forum Member

Original Poster
Bit more of an impressive change.

Attached Images

03-10-2014, 10:19 PM   #113
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hahaha victory!
03-11-2014, 01:16 AM   #114

Impressive!
03-11-2014, 06:34 AM   #115
Forum Member

Original Poster
I've just checked the firmware CPU_ROM_STORE is not supported on the K-30. The functionality just doesn't exist.
03-11-2014, 12:59 PM   #116
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
a small step for a hacker, a huge leap for the Pentax community
03-11-2014, 02:02 PM - 1 Like   #117
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
a small step huge leap for a hacker, a huge leap tectonic shift for the Pentax community
Fixed

Last edited by Giklab; 03-11-2014 at 02:08 PM.
03-11-2014, 06:49 PM   #118
Forum Member

I made simple portable decrypter (binaries & src included) using Shodan's XOR.KEY file. Now I can see decrypted CPU block with a few strings that probably starts at offset 0xC00000. Some short blocks at beginning and end of original FW file seems to be not encrypted.
You can add my files to GIThub. Congrat. to chksum fix.
Attached Files
File Type: zip pdecrypt.zip (65.2 KB, 76 views)
03-12-2014, 02:01 AM   #119

Another interesting question:

There exists a difference between camera body for the Japanese marked and for the rest of the world.
The existing translations on the japanese camera is only Japanese and English.
"Normal" bodys can select many translations.

But, the firmware files are 100% the same. So they must contain all translations. So, why are not all translations are selectable on Japanese bodys?

Pentax says the bodys are different. IMHO it's only a software thing. Maybe there are environment settings that activate a filter in the firmware for selectable languages.

Any idea?
03-12-2014, 02:30 AM   #120
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jedie Quote
Another interesting question:

There exists a difference between camera body for the Japanese marked and for the rest of the world.
The existing translations on the japanese camera is only Japanese and English.
"Normal" bodys can select many translations.

But, the firmware files are 100% the same. So they must contain all translations. So, why are not all translations are selectable on Japanese bodys?

Pentax says the bodys are different. IMHO it's only a software thing. Maybe there are environment settings that activate a filter in the firmware for selectable languages.

Any idea?
There looks to be a region code set when the camera rolls of the production line. You can change it via debug commands
Closed Thread