Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 230 Likes Search this Thread
05-14-2014, 04:01 PM   #241
Forum Member

Original Poster
FYI

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/14-general-talk/262001-latest-pentax-hack...ml#post2814357

05-14-2014, 10:44 PM   #242

Cool and voted
05-15-2014, 11:48 PM   #243
kpl

Photos: Albums
Voted

I like where this is going.
Some time ago I tried Magic Lantern on a Canon 500D and it just unleashed the potential of the device.

If DSLR vendors would take even the tiniest bit of pride in what they do, they should really start to develop firmware that can actually put the available hardware to good use.
That's where I think Pentax is doing a way better job than the canikon, however, it would be awesome to see even more features and better usability.

I don't have experience in reverse engineering but as soon as we get to APIs and high-level-languages you can count me in

Cheers,
kpl
05-17-2014, 03:51 PM   #244
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Shodan Quote
I've just finished implementing a loading technique for the K-30. Now after flashing a special firmware you can go to the SW debug menu and load a custom program from the SD card. All changes are then made in memory so it's much safer now.
Congrat to breaking the wall /voted too/. I'm forward to run some small own code on the cam. I downloaded complete github tree but some tools called by *patch*.bat are missing:
FirmwareTools.exe - well I compiled my own (xor based) decrypter in mingw to do the enc/decripting that I attached here before
MergeBin - I don't have such tool is it your own or where can I get it?
gcc-arm-none-eabi - is it from here https://launchpad.net/gcc-arm-embedded or netx-arm-elf-gcc Project Top Page - SourceForge.JP here? I use this toolchain at work for a small bluetooth low energy chip with cortex M0 core Did you make some modifications to the toolchain like own linkerscript or startup file?
Will be easy to add support for latest 1.06 FW? It probably has different address for important functions and patch so currently it work only on 1.05 I expect... On pentax page is officially available only ver 1.06 but old files are still kept on their server so 1.05 is here http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/digital/firmware/k30v105.EXE
Maybe you could write some readme or make some webpage with tech. facts about how things work and how use the tools.
Thanks

Last edited by RayeR; 05-17-2014 at 04:00 PM.
05-18-2014, 01:34 PM   #245
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RayeR Quote
Congrat to breaking the wall /voted too/. I'm forward to run some small own code on the cam. I downloaded complete github tree but some tools called by *patch*.bat are missing:
FirmwareTools.exe - well I compiled my own (xor based) decrypter in mingw to do the enc/decripting that I attached here before
MergeBin - I don't have such tool is it your own or where can I get it?
gcc-arm-none-eabi - is it from here https://launchpad.net/gcc-arm-embedded or netx-arm-elf-gcc Project Top Page - SourceForge.JP here? I use this toolchain at work for a small bluetooth low energy chip with cortex M0 core Did you make some modifications to the toolchain like own linkerscript or startup file?
Will be easy to add support for latest 1.06 FW? It probably has different address for important functions and patch so currently it work only on 1.05 I expect... On pentax page is officially available only ver 1.06 but old files are still kept on their server so 1.05 is here http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/digital/firmware/k30v105.EXE
Maybe you could write some readme or make some webpage with tech. facts about how things work and how use the tools.
Thanks
i'll PM you some instructions since it isn't ready yet.
05-18-2014, 03:48 PM   #246
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Shodan Quote
i'll PM you some instructions since it isn't ready yet.
Why PM?

Even if it isn't ready for smooth usage yet, I'm sure people other than RayeR would appreciate the current status.
05-19-2014, 01:48 AM   #247
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Why PM?
Even if it isn't ready for smooth usage yet, I'm sure people other than RayeR would appreciate the current status.
We are discussing some issues and it's reasonable to wait a moment until it will be adjusted.
Now I can say that I reflashed FW with loader (but didn't be able to rebuild it from github tree) without bricking my cam .

05-19-2014, 02:13 AM   #248
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Why PM?
Seriously I got it loading code a week ago. There are more bugs than code!
RayeR is mental, he's running my hack-and-slash code on his own camera! I wouldn't do that that, I made 'you guys' buy me a new camera!

Give it a few weeks, it will be more stable, have documentation, actually have a working toolchain...
05-19-2014, 08:51 PM - 1 Like   #249
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by HavelockV Quote
While I can contribute little, I can just show some pages I stumbled upon:

This here seems to be a bunch of guys working on a very similar topic on the yellow side:
https://nikonhacker.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1623&sid=c5fea046fe54da8ec3357458bdbe649a
https://nikonhacker.com/wiki/Fujitsu_FR

And this is an archived page:
Microcontrollers - Application Notes : FUJITSU United States

I wonder if the update file here Development Tools : SWB (FR) V6 would contain anything of interest to you.
Hello from Nikon Hacker,

First off, awesome work, looks like you've cracked this egg wide open.

We've collaborated with the most awesome Magic Lantern team in the past and we would love to collaborate wherever possible. Our main focus till now has been on the FR-based Nikons, but we're starting to see the ARM-based ones now, same as the Pentax's. I'm sure there is a lot of commonality, as they're both using the Milbeaut.

Happy Hacking!
-m
-------------------
Lead Janitor, nikonhacker.com
05-20-2014, 09:19 AM - 1 Like   #250
Forum Member

Original Poster
Shameless bump, voting ends tomorrow!

---------- Post added 05-20-14 at 05:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by maxslug Quote
Hello from Nikon Hacker,

First off, awesome work, looks like you've cracked this egg wide open.

We've collaborated with the most awesome Magic Lantern team in the past and we would love to collaborate wherever possible. Our main focus till now has been on the FR-based Nikons, but we're starting to see the ARM-based ones now, same as the Pentax's. I'm sure there is a lot of commonality, as they're both using the Milbeaut.

Happy Hacking!
-m
-------------------
Lead Janitor, nikonhacker.com
Really pleased your reading this. I've looked through A LOT of the Nikon hacker pages. The 'Understanding Firmware' page for instance is permanently open in my browser.
Being based on Milbeaut Nikon and Pentax are pretty much cousins. More often than not hardware addresses you've found line up with our own - even our lenses sometimes fit each other

I love that you've managed to get an emulator going, I've emulated a few routines but nothing near the level you've obtained. Getting this going for an ARM based Nikon will almost certainly help me.

I hope we can collaborate, i'll be unleashing a wiki when I can write up my work. I'll keep you guys in mind.

Last edited by Shodan; 05-20-2014 at 09:27 AM.
05-24-2014, 02:42 AM   #251
Veteran Member

While reading ( I'm up to page 5) any links to PHDK for K-01, if it's at all possible?

Edits:
QuoteOriginally posted by kpl Quote
Some time ago I tried Magic Lantern on a Canon 500D and it just unleashed the potential of the device.
Da, I've used a 550D with ML and a PK-EF ring to use my own lenses on a short film that's in post-prod now, ML is a massive improvement over the Canon firmware, turning an 'okay' camera in to a brilliant little film making package.

I'd love being able to adjust my K-01 down to the same levels - with custom overlays for 2.39:1 framing, audio meters, frame rates and shutter speeds,...

Keep up the good work Shodan, it will be interesting to see if the coming official firmware updates start including the features everyone's asking for, now that there's going to be competition from user-made firmware.

Last edited by PiDicus Rex; 05-24-2014 at 03:25 AM.
05-24-2014, 05:06 AM   #252
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
While reading ( I'm up to page 5) any links to PHDK for K-01, if it's at all possible?

Edits:

Da, I've used a 550D with ML and a PK-EF ring to use my own lenses on a short film that's in post-prod now, ML is a massive improvement over the Canon firmware, turning an 'okay' camera in to a brilliant little film making package.

I'd love being able to adjust my K-01 down to the same levels - with custom overlays for 2.39:1 framing, audio meters, frame rates and shutter speeds,...

Keep up the good work Shodan, it will be interesting to see if the coming official firmware updates start including the features everyone's asking for, now that there's going to be competition from user-made firmware.
No plans for the k-1 yet as I don't have one.
05-25-2014, 11:29 PM   #253
Veteran Member

Ahh, yes, I see now after having caught up.
Question tho', and others can weigh in,..
With the exception of the viewfinder, aren't the guts of the K30 and K-01 similar, especially regarding the processing hardware and sensor?
( Couple of K30 owners I've done stuff with are under the same impression )

Last edited by PiDicus Rex; 05-25-2014 at 11:35 PM.
05-26-2014, 07:27 AM   #254
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
There is no mirror so depending on how the programmed the camera that may result in either virtually identical firmwares if they just branched any mirror related logic or completely different firmwares if they let them strip/rewrite anything that involved a mirror.
05-26-2014, 11:00 PM   #255
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
aren't the guts of the K30 and K-01 similar,
Are the the same processor type? - that's a big fundamental to this work...
Closed Thread