Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2014, 06:23 AM - 1 Like   #286
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by choong_dc Quote
I hope someone can hack the sync shutter speed up to 1/8000 sec...
That's not possible.

The sync-speed is determined by the shutter mechanics and you cannot influence the latter through firmware changes.

It would be possible, though, to make the camera emit a trigger signal independently of the shutter speed. That would help quite a bit to fire HSS flashes like the Cactus RF60 off-camera, without requiring an HSS-capable flash connected to the camera. And as a matter of fact, this hack would be rather easy to accomplish (once one has located the right place in the code, which will be the major challenge).

07-22-2014, 01:05 PM   #287

Hi Class A, that is what i wanted to say but technicalities fails me all the time lolx....
So, i am humbly asking if there is any hacker who can do this?
I saw on youtube a photographer used a 1/5000sec shutter speed to shoot a model at late morning while trigger his flash at 1/1 power [and on
Gosh, i hope someone out there can hack the K3...
07-22-2014, 02:44 PM   #288
Veteran Member

I saw on youtube a photographer used a 1/5000sec shutter speed to shoot a model at late morning while trigger his flash at 1/1 power [and on
You may be following the wrong lead here. I may be wrong, but I doubt this photographer had a camera with a flash sync speed of 1/5000 sec. There aren't many cameras out there that support such sync speeds. It is likely that the photographer was using other ways to achieve the effect you admire, rather than relying on an ultra-high camera flash sync speed.

Perhaps the photographer was just using High Speed Sync and a compatible flash. Pentax can do HSS already with most external PTTL flashes. Even my old K200D supported HSS.

Last edited by rawr; 07-22-2014 at 02:57 PM.
07-22-2014, 03:23 PM   #289
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
make the camera emit a trigger signal independently of the shutter speed. That would help quite a bit to fire HSS flashes like the Cactus RF60 off-camera, without requiring an HSS-capable flash connected to the camera.

Fully agree on this one.

I'm looking to get an off camera HSS capable flash, but am at a loss as to how to trigger it from the camera. Presently you don't appear to be able to set the shutter speed past 1/180 on the camera if you have the internal flash up. The only way I can see to send the 'go' command to the off camera HSS flash is to mount yet another HSS capable flash on the camera itself as well. Depending on your intentions for the shot you may not actually want a front on flash, so this expensive flash unit is only being used as a pre flash trigger to the real one you want to use, which seems an incredible waste of money, and yes something that should be built into the camera body itself. Future models should allow for this if the present hardware can't achieve this.

Sorry, I'm close to no experience with flash units, but believe the above concept is close to correct

If someone knows a way of achieving a higher shutter speed, say 1/2000th of a second, and of triggering an off camera HSS capable flash (such as the YN-568EX from Yongnuo) then I'd like to hear about it. Yongnuo make a YN-622 wireless trigger, but there doesn't seem to be much about using this gear with Pentax?

07-22-2014, 05:13 PM   #290

Hi guys,

Here is the article... But i do not how to get around it.... maybe someone can share some light.... and hack the K3...
High Speed Sync with YN560 flash: Digital Photography Review
07-23-2014, 01:49 AM   #291
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
The only way I can see to send the 'go' command to the off camera HSS flash is to mount yet another HSS capable flash on the camera itself as well.
Correct, the only way to get a flash trigger above the sync-speed is to connect an HSS-capable flash to the camera (on the hot-shoe or via P-TTL cable).

Yongnuo make a YN-622 wireless trigger, but there doesn't seem to be much about using this gear with Pentax?
You are right again.

Currently, there is no radio trigger for Pentax that it will fool the camera into believing that it is dealing with an HSS-capable P-TTL flash. You could make a respective suggestion at the Cactus Community Forum. Cactus seem to be the only one who are catering to Pentax users at least to some extent.
07-23-2014, 01:53 AM   #292
Pentaxian

I saw on youtube a photographer used a 1/5000sec shutter speed to shoot a model at late morning while trigger his flash at 1/1 power
I've done the same with my K100D, but I needed an HSS-capable flash to generate an optical trigger system.

A firmware hack would be great, but most people have very little idea how hard it is to locate the respective code. In this instance, at least the code would be easy to fix. Other firmware wishes (like different movie recording modes or focus peaking during movie recording are enormously harder to realise and may even be impossible due to hardware limitations).

07-23-2014, 01:03 PM   #293

Guys, I have pentax k30 with sw 1.00 . I was wondering if I should update it to 1.06 or keep it at old version for possible easier hacking. From my exp first versions are easier to hack.
07-23-2014, 07:10 PM   #294
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ongaku Quote
Guys, I have pentax k30 with sw 1.00 . I was wondering if I should update it to 1.06 or keep it at old version for possible easier hacking. From my exp first versions are easier to hack.
It doesn't matter, you can easily upgrade or downgrade to any available version. I bought K-30 with 1.04, then updated to 1.05 and 1.06 and back to hacked 1.05. BTW user lens FF/BF settings seems to be preserved during updates, no need to set it again...
07-24-2014, 01:48 AM   #295

RayeR, thanks! I thought that maybe pentax would use some sort of protection against unofficial updates or downgrades.
07-29-2014, 10:56 AM   #296

So yes. It is possible to upgrade to any sw version. Also I managed to get into debug by using pk_tether. Sw 1.06
07-29-2014, 11:29 AM   #297
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fully agree on this one.
Talk to Cactus about this one.

Steve
07-29-2014, 03:31 PM   #298

I think CLassA already did that. Did you ClassA?
07-30-2014, 12:14 AM - 1 Like   #299
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Talk to Cactus about this one.
Well, Cactus cannot fix the (artificial) limitation of Pentax DSLRs.

They could try fake the presence of an HSS-capable flash with the V6, but Cactus like to keep their gear brand agnostic, so they would have to perform that trick for Canon, Nikon, and Pentax.

I think CLassA already did that. Did you ClassA?
Cactus are aware that users appreciate the ability of brand-specific equipment to enable HSS timing, etc. automatically.

It wouldn't hurt, though, if Pentax users visited the "V6 suggestions" thread on their community forum and told them about their needs and wants.

It is pretty remarkable that they did not stop at Canon and Nikon support, but cared for Pentax as well, so I think it would be good to signal to them that Pentax shooters use their stuff and would like to see further development.
07-30-2014, 02:14 AM - 1 Like   #300
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Well, Cactus cannot fix the (artificial) limitation of Pentax DSLRs.

They could try fake the presence of an HSS-capable flash with the V6, but Cactus like to keep their gear brand agnostic, so they would have to perform that trick for Canon, Nikon, and Pentax.

Cactus are aware that users appreciate the ability of brand-specific equipment to enable HSS timing, etc. automatically.

It wouldn't hurt, though, if Pentax users visited the "V6 suggestions" thread on their community forum and told them about their needs and wants.

It is pretty remarkable that they did not stop at Canon and Nikon support, but cared for Pentax as well, so I think it would be good to signal to them that Pentax shooters use their stuff and would like to see further development.
I agree Class A, thx to cactus to be care about Pentax users...I bought V5 and now V6 awaiting for HSS capatibility, it's my only goal with my lovely Pentax body's...I really need to go up to 1/180s for daylight shoots or more "artistics" purpose like keepind short DOF.
I can't understand Pentax keep that #!?# limitation and hope that Cactus would help us (not sure that they will but i will write an SOS into community forum ;-) ))
Closed Thread