Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2014, 02:48 PM   #301
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi!
Shouldn't this thread be all about resurrecting pentax firmware hacking? Anybody in here tried Shodans modified firmware??? Any progress anybody?

08-02-2014, 12:37 AM   #302

QuoteOriginally posted by patarok Quote
Hi!
Shouldn't this thread be all about resurrecting pentax firmware hacking? Anybody in here tried Shodans modified firmware??? Any progress anybody?
Shodan's been really good at keeping people updated, but I think progress may be slow just because it's only really him (correct me if I'm wrong) that is actively working on developing the code. I'm not sure there's much for non-technical users to play around with at the moment. It really needs more devs working on it, but with Pentax having a much smaller user base than Canon, one thing's for certain: this won't be moving at Magic Lantern speeds.
08-02-2014, 04:00 AM - 1 Like   #303
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Derwin Quote
with Pentax having a much smaller user base than Canon, one thing's for certain: this won't be moving at Magic Lantern speeds.
For example...
08-02-2014, 04:31 AM   #304

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Exactly! I think it's probably very easy for non-technical folks, such as myself, to underestimate exactly how much work is involved in hacking firmware.

08-03-2014, 02:49 AM   #305
Veteran Member

It took a team of four or five something like 18 months (or more) to write the firmware for the Bolex D16.
I'd hate to think how many dev's write software for BMD,..
Aja's team took more then two years to do the Cion's development.

One Shodan, alone, can succeed, but the rest of us need to be exceptionally patient and supportive.

Last edited by PiDicus Rex; 08-04-2014 at 02:31 AM.
08-03-2014, 08:43 AM   #306
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My most sincere encouragement to anyone that takes on a challenge such as this! I work as a php/ front end developer and trying to reverse engineer a WordPress theme can take two days or more...

Once my side projects clear off I'd be willing to lend a hand although I doubt my skills would be of any assistance in such a complex environment and I have no real experience in 'real' dev environments.
08-03-2014, 11:02 AM   #307

I have done some RE on MCUs. I had Atmel 8k binary, drawn schematics of device and good tools. To write the documentation what the device did, it took 2 months.
This was some high security device where two systems were bought and both devices were audited. My task was on black box testing of software to find the corner cases where it didn't work. I had to think every opcode and make a conclusion if system would be still safe.

Now increase the size of binary with factor of couple of thousand. Subtract the level of details required to obtain. 10 manyears might be good estimation to say for firmware to be hacked thoroughly. So Shodan has done some very impressive work. But as always when passion drives engineer to work other stuff is irrelevant like eating or sleeping.

08-03-2014, 12:52 PM   #308
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Too bad Vitaly who hacked the gh2 couldn't be persuaded to pitch in. He's quite busy managing personal-view.com
08-04-2014, 09:08 AM   #309
Forum Member

When hacking of old Canon powershots and EOS 300D started about 10 years ago I knew only about 5 other hackers who worked on. As pentax user group is say 10 and more times smaller I wonder here's one Shodan made a lot of hardwork and enabled others to run theirs own module from SD to make further hacking more safe and easier but there's lack of other skilled people with enough free time...
BTW I found that K-30 was stopped selling in CZ. rep., just about a year after I bought mine...
08-04-2014, 02:25 PM - 5 Likes   #310
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hacking continues, I'm at the point at the moment where I've got to find real functionality. How to change the ISO etc. All of that takes a lot of time and at the moment I don't have tons to spare. Next up is a release that more people can flash to the camera!
08-05-2014, 05:46 AM   #311
Forum Member

Good work. BTW did you discovered some function for drawing a pixel or rectangle? And if yes what color model is used? On canon there was some strange bitpacked YUV...
Did you make some change to previous firmware mod that loads SD module? Or do you think it could be final version?
I think it's a bit pitty there's no some wiki documentation that would simply describe how FW works, what tools, how to compile and what functions are available to call. That could motivate other programmers that are not direclty familiar with rev. eng. of ARM code. Of course I know that's extra effort taking time but I know that best time to write documentation is during the process by small part than try to write something a year later when it dropped from memory...
08-05-2014, 07:15 AM   #312
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RayeR Quote
I think it's a bit pitty there's no some wiki documentation that would simply describe how FW works, what tools, how to compile and what functions are available to call.
Have you seen the website for the previous effort?

It was a start...
08-05-2014, 08:58 AM   #313
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Have you seen the website for the previous effort?

It was a start...
Sure, but it's related to old Pentax models with different CPU/DSP and FW. I think it's the right place to continue. Vitaliy Kiselev would probably be kind to give access to the website to post updates if Shodan asks him...
08-07-2014, 10:49 AM   #314
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Derwin Quote
Exactly! I think it's probably very easy for non-technical folks, such as myself, to underestimate exactly how much work is involved in hacking firmware.
no one is underestimating... that was just to remind some people about the topic. I also do not think people who play with the thought of hacking their camera are non-technical( it is no iphone).
I indeed have some programming skills, but Objective-C wont do the trick here... Sry.
08-07-2014, 12:10 PM - 1 Like   #315

QuoteOriginally posted by patarok Quote
no one is underestimating... that was just to remind some people about the topic. I also do not think people who play with the thought of hacking their camera are non-technical( it is no iphone).
I indeed have some programming skills, but Objective-C wont do the trick here... Sry.
...and it wasn't meant as any criticism Patarok; just trying to express a bit of sympathy and support for our one-man Magic Lantern team.
Closed Thread