Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2015, 08:22 PM - 1 Like   #406

I've noticed that a lot of people are having trouble compiling svenpeter42's pfwtool to decrypt the firmware. I've written an app in HTML5 and JavaScript that can decrypt the Pentax firmware. It's based off pfwtool.

Pentax Firmware Decrypter

It requires NO uploading -- everything is done client side. Drag the file in and it will come out decrypted.

Give it a try, especially if you're having trouble with pfwtool.

I've tested it with Chrome and the K-30 1.05 firmware. YMMV.

01-10-2015, 07:01 AM   #407
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MooseV2 Quote
I've noticed that a lot of people are having trouble compiling svenpeter42's pfwtool to decrypt the firmware. I've written an app in HTML5 and JavaScript that can decrypt the Pentax firmware. It's based off pfwtool.

It requires NO uploading -- everything is done client side. Drag the file in and it will come out decrypted.

though ur blog page opens http://axiondev.net/projects/pfwtool_html/ is missing
01-10-2015, 10:17 AM   #408

QuoteOriginally posted by uttam.hathi Quote
though ur blog page opens Pentax Firmware Decrypter is missing
Thanks, should be fixed now.
01-10-2015, 06:34 PM   #409
Veteran Member

though ur blog page opens Pentax Firmware Decrypter is missing
pfwtool does not decrypt, but just replaces the hex/binary throughout after the first line to create a garble

01-10-2015, 11:52 PM   #410

pfwtool does not decrypt, but just replaces the hex/binary throughout after the first line to create a garble
Please explain what you mean. Pfwtool works fine for me. What files are you using?
01-11-2015, 07:54 AM   #411
Veteran Member

i still need to know what one says by stating it works, pls see my screenshots, can u post screenshots as the strings from line 2 ought to become legible.anyways pls post an screenshot..
01-11-2015, 08:43 AM   #412

Please checksum your decrypted files. If the MD5 hash is 0afe2524251009b97639316edfe1c410 for the K-30 1.05 firmware, then the tool is working correctly. If you still cannot figure out the files after that, then I suggest you find an easier project.

01-11-2015, 06:29 PM   #413
Veteran Member

Please checksum your decrypted files. If the MD5 hash is 0afe2524251009b97639316edfe1c410 for the K-30 1.05 firmware, then the tool is working correctly. If you still cannot figure out the files after that, then I suggest you find an easier project.
Checksum is a calculated value that is used to determine the integrity of data. Checksum serves as a unique identifier for the data (a file, a text string, or a hexadecimal string). If the data changes then so does the checksum value. This makes it easy to verify the integrity of the data.
To test data integrity, the sender of the data calculates checksum value by taking the sum of the binary data transmitted. When receiving the data, the receiver can perform the same calculation on the data and compare it with the checksum value provided by the sender. If the two values match, the receiver has a high degree of confidence that the data was received correctly.
thus....
01-12-2015, 05:02 AM - 1 Like   #414

So if you get that same result running md5sum for k-30 1.05 firmware after decryption, you have identical file with MooseV2 and I would say that the method you used for decryption is working one.

And the result file is still binary form. You need to disassemble it get something interesting out of it. Or if the strings are interesting enough you can extract them and wonder what they are but nothing further.
01-12-2015, 06:56 AM   #415
Veteran Member

if an XOR is done or binary replaced i presume it will still be the same checksum, but thats not decryption
01-12-2015, 07:05 AM   #416
Veteran Member

this is the closest i think decryption has been done- referencing deobfuscation i dont think pfwtool works thatway

Last edited by uttam.hathi; 02-05-2016 at 10:36 AM.
01-12-2015, 10:36 AM   #417

uttam.hathi: What exactly are you trying to do right now? And what are you plans once you have a correctly deobfuscated firmware file?
My tool works just fine and so does MooseV2's online deobfuscator.

Nice work!
I've been way too busy with real life lately, I hope I can eventually work some more on this!
01-12-2015, 06:51 PM   #418
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by svenpeter Quote
uttam.hathi: What exactly are you trying to do right now? And what are you plans once you have a correctly deobfuscated firmware file?
My tool works just fine and so does MooseV2's online deobfuscator.

Nice work!
I've been way too busy with real life lately, I hope I can eventually work some more on this!
pfwtool both are the same but different language so if it works with c=compiler it would work with java, but does it decrypt to make it readable- strings (this is the best test if strings become readable then it has worked, i will not get into pointers, pls post a screenshot of decrypted firmware
01-12-2015, 07:34 PM   #419
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jedie Quote
One question: Does anybody compare the K-30 with K-50 (and/or K-500)... Are the hardware 100% the same?!?
I believe the K-50 was listed as having a larger max ISO but unsure if that is just a software 'upgrade' or not.

When I owned a K-30, I discovered one could theoretically patch it with the firmware for the K-50 by simply renaming the K-50 firmware to one of the K-30's. However, I was not brave enough to let it proceed. The K-30 was seeing the firmware file on the SD card though (asked me if I wanted to flash with that firmware) and didn't just ignore it like it would have otherwise.

I suspect it is the same camera hardware with a firmware change... if you are willing to potentially brick your K-30 you could give it a go.. but then again you could potentially brick your K-30!

Would be neat though if confirmed.. could mean whatever work done for the K-30 would be directly available to the K-50!
01-12-2015, 08:55 PM   #420
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I believe the K-50 was listed as having a larger max ISO but unsure if that is just a software 'upgrade' or not.

When I owned a K-30, I discovered one could theoretically patch it with the firmware for the K-50 by simply renaming the K-50 firmware to one of the K-30's. However, I was not brave enough to let it proceed. The K-30 was seeing the firmware file on the SD card though (asked me if I wanted to flash with that firmware) and didn't just ignore it like it would have otherwise.

I suspect it is the same camera hardware with a firmware change... if you are willing to potentially brick your K-30 you could give it a go.. but then again you could potentially brick your K-30!

Would be neat though if confirmed.. could mean whatever work done for the K-30 would be directly available to the K-50!

Someone do this please! I really want to turn my wife's K-30 into into a K-50 but I too need someone to jump first
Closed Thread