Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2016, 04:44 PM - 3 Likes   #601

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
So you collect the work of others but
a) will not share the compiled list immediately in this very forum in a simple post and
b) want to use pdf format which is prone to virus abuse even though we are talking about a very simple text only content which could be shared in form of a post here without any problems? Post can be edited multiple times.

There is no reason why you could not post the compilation now and here and update it any time new content arrives.
I think your manners need a lot of work. You're assuming I'm not putting anything into the list myself, which is an incorrect assumption.

First I want to ensure that the data is spread as widely as possible once it's put together, both on this site and others. PDF is the best way to do that as it is the most portable form of document that can contain a properly formatted table and print well for those who want it on paper. In addition there isn't just the list of filenames, for many cameras instructions are needed because you have to hold down different buttons during start-up, some you have to press a sequence, some you have to leave the SD card door open and some you don't. I want to write those instructions clearly so almost anyone properly familiar with English can follow them, and I want to put in appropriate warnings for the inexperienced so that they are less likely to turn their cameras into expensive paperweights.

Altogether there's quite a lot of careful work for me to do as well as gathering the data together and I would much rather do that properly than just throw something together in a hurry.

There's a good idea in your post though, and that's the idea of posting the list in this forum. Thanks for that, I'll do that once I work out how to format it, or if the forum doesn't allow me to use the best form then I'll just post it as a text list.

06-30-2016, 02:59 AM   #602
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fire Angel Quote
Which one(s) should I delete please?
K-02
As others commented, it's never existed, just a wish-list of what owners want - better ergonomics, Sensor Shift in Video, functional and recordable 1080p HDMI - there's a lot of discussions on what's needed to fix video on Pentax MILC and DLSR's, and basically make it an industry leading product with what looks to be nothing more then firmware tweaks.

Once I have these I will put the PDF together.
Excellent, post it somewhere all involved can refer too, and that'll be really useful as reference.
06-30-2016, 08:29 AM   #603

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
K-02
As others commented, it's never existed, just a wish-list of what owners want - better ergonomics, Sensor Shift in Video, functional and recordable 1080p HDMI - there's a lot of discussions on what's needed to fix video on Pentax MILC and DLSR's, and basically make it an industry leading product with what looks to be nothing more then firmware tweaks.

Excellent, post it somewhere all involved can refer too, and that'll be really useful as reference.
Thank you. My intention is not just to post it somewhere myself but to encourage others to post it, host it or redistribute it as well. That way the data will be more likely to reach the people who will most benefit from it.
06-30-2016, 11:04 AM   #604
Veteran Member

Thank you. My intention is not just to post it somewhere myself but to encourage others to post it, host it or redistribute it as well. That way the data will be more likely to reach the people who will most benefit from it.
I think the most effective use then, would be a Sticky post, with all the data in the post, maybe Adam and the Mods can look at it and figure where it'd be best to locate it here on the forum.

06-30-2016, 11:21 AM   #605
Banned

Basically we need somebody with K-1 to collaborate here. But so far nobody volunteers.
07-02-2016, 09:42 PM   #606
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
Sensor Shift in Video, functional and recordable 1080p HDMI - there's a lot of discussions on what's needed to fix video on Pentax MILC and DLSR's, and basically make it an industry leading product with what looks to be nothing more then firmware tweaks.

Amen to that. The base is there, and it's just friggen mental that Pentax haven't bothered to address the small alterations required to vastly improve what they already have.

You can understand the likes of canon holding back quality video from one line to promote their other existing video cameras, but Pentax has no such worries.

Good luck to all on this project.
07-03-2016, 03:25 AM - 1 Like   #607

Those firmware tweaks might be harder than you think. In embedded systems the things are little bit different. Also sensor contract may restrict how to use the sensor.

I don't know how software is developed for Pentax cameras, but I've written some code for embedded systems. Many times small change on concept level is breaking everything. If the video code is old and engineer who wrote it is gone, continuing development might be little bit hard and time consuming.

07-03-2016, 11:53 PM   #608

Hi all!

Any possibility to have the "debug mode" for the K-3II ?

Thank's a lot!
07-04-2016, 12:39 PM   #609
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by anemone Quote
Those firmware tweaks might be harder than you think. In embedded systems the things are little bit different. Also sensor contract may restrict how to use the sensor.

I don't know how software is developed for Pentax cameras, but I've written some code for embedded systems. Many times small change on concept level is breaking everything. If the video code is old and engineer who wrote it is gone, continuing development might be little bit hard and time consuming.
I believe they changed their code significantly after transitioning to the "new" processors (K-30 and K-3 being the first ones). There are obviously developers working on it still, as every new camera adds features. And with the amount of "we want video" being thrown at their face at every possible opportunity, I'd say they'd have fixed it if they could.
07-07-2016, 12:57 AM - 1 Like   #610

Don't know if someone already asked this, but is this website really capable of providing a K30/K50 service manual?

PENTAX K-30, K-50 Series Service Manual

Did anyone already give it a try? 13$ are not that much, especially if the K30 service manual is so rare to find.
07-08-2016, 10:13 AM   #611
Banned

(not tested) pentax 645z: for activation Debug Menu you need file 00077840.547 and DEVELOP.MOD (see above).

Last edited by bootcoder; 07-09-2016 at 03:20 AM.
07-08-2016, 10:55 PM   #612
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bootcoder Quote
pentax 645z: for activation Debug Menu you need file 00077840.547 and DEVELOP.MOD (see above).
Hey that's very nice for those owning that cam. Thanks for them. Nice to see progress here
07-09-2016, 03:20 AM   #613
Banned

I do not have 645z
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Nice to see progress here
Unfortunately not, the state is :
Name:  q10status.png
Views: 1386
Size:  10.2 KB

Last edited by bootcoder; 07-12-2016 at 12:50 PM.
07-11-2016, 01:48 PM   #614
Pentaxian

I learnt programming a long time ago. In since became teacher and really lost any kind of practice.
I'd be annoyed to program a simple Delphi app. If I thought I could be of any help, I would.
Tell me if you think so but I really don't. Unfortunately.
08-06-2016, 07:03 AM   #615

Now that K-3 II firmware is out it would be possible to do some comparisons with K-3 firmware. Has anyone given any thought about this?
Closed Thread