Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2018, 09:37 PM - 1 Like   #721

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by polaco Quote
ps: I have downloaded GitHub - i-am-shodan/PentaxFirmwareTool: Pentax Firmware tool for the K30
I compiled it and tried it to decrypt the K3II firmware that is in the zip provided by pentax, however the process fails as the XOR.key provided in PentaxFirmwareTool does not match firmware size.
I wonder were did they got that xor.key and how could i get the one for k3II. If the non encrypted version is available then calculating the xor file would be easy, providing they are still using same xor approach.
pps: well after reading a bit, it seems efforts on hacking pentax firmware has been abandoned, and if it is pure assembly i guess i would be dead.
It's pure ARM assembly.

Anyway, if you or anyone else want to try, here's a hint.

To decrypt K-3II firmware, you'll need to use pfwtool. If you have a trouble compiling the tool, contact me, and I'll send you the compiled binary.
After the firmware is decrypted, you'll need to open the file in IDA Pro disassembler. Change processor to ARM Little-endian, set the ROM starting address to 0x02000000 (if I correctly guessed the offset), and set the input file loading address to the same 0x02000000. See the attached screenshots.

Attached Images

Last edited by ABel; 02-14-2018 at 08:23 AM.
02-13-2018, 10:19 AM - 1 Like   #722
Banned

There is HexRay decompiler to C language. But it has many limitations and you still need to read a lot assembler; and C++ is not recognized. Also ARM Thumb code is not decompiled.
10-13-2018, 03:58 PM   #723

Photos: Gallery
Hi, sorry for a maybe dumb (already answered?) question, I've tried a bit of googling but maybe not enough, but does debug menu 5 in K-1 as seen a few pages back:

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Many thanks and kudos to you, bootcoder.
http://www.pic-upload.de/view-31419871/PentaxK-1DevelopmentMenu5.jpg.html
mean that K-1 can be used to screwdrive-convert lenses (by downloading lens fw, doing 0C=>08 in column 3 and putting it back)?

If not, would the k-01 do? (I've seen several old posts saying it doesn't work with k-01 because you can't enter debug, but then newer posts say you ("we") now can enter debug, but nothing about if lens conversion this way works).
10-13-2018, 08:49 PM   #724
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some cameras like the k-3 have the requisite screens but won't perform the write to the lens even when told to do so.

10-14-2018, 03:05 PM - 1 Like   #725
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
I'm curious for what purpose someone would "hack" a Pentax camera's firmware? What would it improve?
If the firmware was completely hacked you could do stuff like:

Focus peaking in video

SR in video

GPS on k-01

Different color focus peaking

Zebra in video

Higher output video

Clean HDMI
10-16-2018, 12:52 PM - 1 Like   #726
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
If the firmware was completely hacked you could do stuff like:
It is completely hacked. But there is very poor understanding of difference between "hack" and "development". The first term is like "unlocking" features that are already inside, but disabled by manufacturer. This is pretty fast to do (days to months). Second word describe creating new features where you need a lot of knowledge and time (from months to years).

Debug Mode is unlocked and so far no other exciting hidden features were found in firmware. And seems nobody can/want invest huge amount of spare time in "development" of new features.
10-16-2018, 01:26 PM   #727
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bootcoder Quote
It is completely hacked. But there is very poor understanding of difference between "hack" and "development". The first term is like "unlocking" features that are already inside, but disabled by manufacturer. This is pretty fast to do (days to months). Second word describe creating new features where you need a lot of knowledge and time (from months to years).

Debug Mode is unlocked and so far no other exciting hidden features were found in firmware. And seems nobody can/want invest huge amount of spare time in "development" of new features.
It would seem the ability to program the lens ROM was removed from later models firmware - is it possible to graft back in from older models?

10-20-2018, 07:22 AM   #728
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
It would seem the ability to program the lens ROM was removed from later models firmware - is it possible to graft back in from older models?
In which model "program lens ROM" function was available? In what model was it removed? What model your question is related to?
I am no brain reader and, by the way, I do not even have pentax cam.

Also word "possible" is different from "will be done". A lot of things are possible, but will never appear.

Last edited by bootcoder; 10-20-2018 at 07:35 AM.
10-20-2018, 11:50 AM   #729
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bootcoder Quote
In which model "program lens ROM" function was available? In what model was it removed? What model your question is related to?
I am no brain reader and, by the way, I do not even have pentax cam.

Also word "possible" is different from "will be done". A lot of things are possible, but will never appear.
As far as I know the k-5 series was the last camera that allowed the debug functions related to lens eeprom reading and writing.

The k-50 did not allow this. The k-3 also did not.

The k-3 series also has the debug functions listed but they do not do anything when selected.
01-04-2019, 06:19 PM   #730
Forum Member

I'm also a bit interested in EEPROM code. It was discussed in thread beside. It was told me it should work with older FW for bodies: K10D (FW < 1.31), K20D, K100D, K-5. I tested it on K-3 and K-30. The debug menu entries are present but they does nothing, no file with EEPROM data is created and interactive editor reads allways zeros and write doesn't have any effect. I will look again on lens PCB circuit if there is some standard serial EEPROM like 24Cxx or 93Cxx if so it could be read/write by cheap HW programmer. Of course better would be to be able to do from camera body but I'm not going to spend extra money for some old body.
01-04-2019, 06:51 PM   #731
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RayeR Quote
... but I'm not going to spend extra money for some old body.
Remember that you can resell the old body when you are done.
01-05-2019, 02:45 AM - 1 Like   #732
Pentaxian

Your statement is only partially correct.

Most users only seem to remember that the lens ROM change can be done by saving a file to SD card, changing it on the PC and loading it into the camera again.

But that is only half the truth.

As you can see even in the K-1 there is an option "LENS ROM EDIT R/W" directly in the camera (see post #7 here How to deactivate SDM and allow for screw drive autofocus with DA* 16-50mm f/2.8 - PentaxForums.com).

This allows directly changing the bytes. I have not actually executed it personally, but I can say that clicking it does show the underlying edit interface (asking about address and data and if you want to read or write) on the K-1, so I do assume this still works there.

01-05-2019, 08:15 AM   #733
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Your statement is only partially correct.

Most users only seem to remember that the lens ROM change can be done by saving a file to SD card, changing it on the PC and loading it into the camera again.

But that is only half the truth.

As you can see even in the K-1 there is an option "LENS ROM EDIT R/W" directly in the camera (see post #7 here How to deactivate SDM and allow for screw drive autofocus with DA* 16-50mm f/2.8 - PentaxForums.com).

This allows directly changing the bytes. I have not actually executed it personally, but I can say that clicking it does show the underlying edit interface (asking about address and data and if you want to read or write) on the K-1, so I do assume this still works there.

Others reported it as not working on the k-3 specifically but I haven't tried it myself. It is possible the reports of it not being useable were incorrect.
01-05-2019, 12:29 PM   #734
Pentaxian

Others reported it as not working on the k-3 specifically but I haven't tried it myself. It is possible the reports of it not being useable were incorrect.
Go ask whoever claims it is not working, if they also tried the above in camera edit.

I can confirm that the SD card dumping entries for lens roms do not work on K-3 or K-1.
01-05-2019, 09:02 PM   #735
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Go ask whoever claims it is not working, if they also tried the above in camera edit.

I can confirm that the SD card dumping entries for lens roms do not work on K-3 or K-1.
I am very sick but at some point I can actually attempt to edit using either a k-3 or k-1. I normally do my conversions with a k100d or k100d super. After editing I can verify the changes if it works. But that may be weeks... If my wife's experience repeats itself.
Closed Thread