Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2008, 05:44 PM   #1
Ed in GA
Guest




Pentax Extended Warranty

I purchased my K20D from the local Pentax Dealer.

When I picked it up, he asked if I wanted to purchase an addtional two years of warranty. When I said "yes", he said "check back with me in about a week and I should have the paperwork in.". So, yesterday I went by the shop and inquired as to whether, or not, he had gotten in the warranty paperwork.

"yes" he said, it costs $40. Now, I'm figuring that this is a third party extended warranty that he is selling.

But, Alas, it is a Pentax extended warranty. $40 to extend the warranty from one to three years and it includes a one time, free of charge, tune up at any time during the warranty period. My thought is that the free tune up is worth the price of the extended warranty.

The only hitch is that the extended warranty must be purchased within 30 days of the purchase date of the camera and the Camera has to come from an authorized Pentax "USA" dealer. You can't buy it if you live in Virginia or Florida and, it is not transferable.

I don't know for sure, but I would guess that if your dealer does not have this warranty available, you can probably purchase it direct from Pentax in Colorado.

Just, FYI.......

04-14-2008, 04:09 AM   #2
Pentaxian
cardinal43's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,371
Curious that it isn't available in VA. We seem to be able to buy everything else here.
04-14-2008, 07:18 AM   #3
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,294
QuoteOriginally posted by Ed in GA Quote
I purchased my K20D from the local Pentax Dealer.

When I picked it up, he asked if I wanted to purchase an addtional two years of warranty. When I said "yes", he said "check back with me in about a week and I should have the paperwork in.". So, yesterday I went by the shop and inquired as to whether, or not, he had gotten in the warranty paperwork.

"yes" he said, it costs $40. Now, I'm figuring that this is a third party extended warranty that he is selling.

But, Alas, it is a Pentax extended warranty. $40 to extend the warranty from one to three years and it includes a one time, free of charge, tune up at any time during the warranty period. My thought is that the free tune up is worth the price of the extended warranty.

The only hitch is that the extended warranty must be purchased within 30 days of the purchase date of the camera and the Camera has to come from an authorized Pentax "USA" dealer. You can't buy it if you live in Virginia or Florida and, it is not transferable.

I don't know for sure, but I would guess that if your dealer does not have this warranty available, you can probably purchase it direct from Pentax in Colorado.

Just, FYI.......
Ed,

Thanks for the heads up on this. For $40 bucks a Pentax warranty is a sound investment. When I purchased my K10D the first day it was available I broke my cardinal rule of no extended warrantees and purchased an independant one for 7 years from a reliable source for about the same amount. Unlike, the mechanical nature of my LX's and both Pentax MF systems, the possibility of chip problems, longitudinally, concern me a little with digital cameras.

A steal at $40 bucks.

Stephen

QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
Curious that it isn't available in VA. We seem to be able to buy everything else here.
Hi Tom,

Maybe they don't realize VA has returned to the Union.

Stephen
04-14-2008, 08:46 AM   #4
racinsince55
Guest




If you have to buy the warranty direct from Pentax Imaging in Colorado, the cost is $99.95 for the two year extension.

They give you 90 days from the date of purchase to buy the Warranty and you have to FAX them a copy of your purchase invoice.

I have a feeling that Ed's guy either made a mistake or sold it to him at cost.

Either way, it's a good deal.

r

04-14-2008, 01:34 PM   #5
Pentaxian




Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Madison, Wis., USA
Posts: 1,510
Not quite a warranty?

In some states, certain "extended warranties" are considered insurance rather than a warranty of quality materials and construction. They're then regulated by the state insurance commission (or whatever it's called) and governed by insurance-type rules. All this can make it entirely too hard for a company to do certain sorts of business. You can see that on some TV adverts that will show state-by-state exclusions.

I'd cross state lines to get that for $40!!
04-15-2008, 07:25 AM   #6
Junior Member
willis's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Va
Posts: 37
Anyone have a link to purchase their (the Pentax version, no third party) extended warranty?
04-15-2008, 08:22 AM   #7
Ed in GA
Guest




QuoteOriginally posted by willis Quote
Anyone have a link to purchase their (the Pentax version, no third party) extended warranty?

There's no link. You have to call them.,

1-800-877-0155

And, the extended warranty is not available in VA.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dealer, dslr, paperwork, pentax, photography, purchase, time, tune, warranty
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K-7 and Pentax Extended Warranty SOldBear Pentax News and Rumors 27 01-14-2011 10:54 AM
free Pentax k-7 2 year extended warranty ended? lwsy711 Pentax DSLR Discussion 29 08-27-2010 03:17 PM
Pentax 2-yr extended warranty SOldBear Pentax DSLR Discussion 18 12-16-2009 06:15 PM
Pentax Extended Warranty BPT Photographic Technique 1 02-04-2009 04:28 PM
Extended Warranty from Pentax? bsimon Pentax DSLR Discussion 0 12-14-2008 12:43 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:11 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top