Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2014, 11:44 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by j2photos Quote
Is it just me or once you got to 12,000 ISO doesnt the K-3 image look more usable? Is this due to the higher resolution sensor? Frankly I am not seeing the K-5 spank the K-3 in Noise handling. You have the in camera NR turned off I assume. I would like to see what kind of results you get in a real world situation with iso 1600-6400 with the K-3.
NR is shut off in both bodies yes. Its hard to say though what happens at 12,000/12,800 because I see different things in both images I like better. the K5 does not spank the K3... the more I look at it the more I think they are quite even.

I'm shooting a band in a couple of week and will be using the K3 and D800 for it. The K3 will be FA 77 only. I'll make sure I run through the iso's and post some unprocessed shots to this thread. I'm also do the "singles in" challenge using the K3 and DA 15mm lens, I'll see if I can play with the iso a bit more in a day to day shooting, once again unedited shots will go here.

this is definatley causing me to want to experiment more.

the one thing that shocks the living daylights out of me is the difference in the auto WB

02-07-2014, 03:59 AM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
NR is shut off in both bodies yes. Its hard to say though what happens at 12,000/12,800 because I see different things in both images I like better. the K5 does not spank the K3... the more I look at it the more I think they are quite even.
Yes, I just looked at them and couldn't really make up my mind. I think the K-5 might be slightly less noisy if you use the same color temperature, though. But anyway, I'm less concerned that upgrading to K-3 would be a loss of high ISO quality now

QuoteQuote:
the one thing that shocks the living daylights out of me is the difference in the auto WB
Did you perhaps use different "AWB in Tungsten Light" settings? Your K-5 seems to be set to "Strong correction". I've done the same, but "Subtle correction" is the default, so maybe you haven't changed that setting on your K-3 yet?
02-07-2014, 05:43 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Are we sure were all looking at the same images

look at the shelf wall the k5 has obliterated all detail and replaced it with splodge not a good look at all.

Look at the red location dot on the 50-135 in the background the k5 loses this altogether by 8000 the k3 keeps it through all images.

No disrespect to the k5 but it getting its butt kicked both in colour retention and detail only in the in-focus area (where NR has not been so destructive) does it comes close even here the detail looks smoothed.

on a side note what’s with the blur on the da*55 k3 shot ?
02-07-2014, 07:16 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
Look at the red location dot on the 50-135 in the background the k5 loses this altogether by 8000 the k3 keeps it through all images.
Check out the DA55. The K-5 is obviously focused a little closer than the K-3, since the DA55 is less OOF. So the red dot in the background is more blurred on the K-5 (in any case those background lenses are visibly more blurred in the K-5 shot).

02-07-2014, 08:25 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Check out the DA55. The K-5 is obviously focused a little closer than the K-3, since the DA55 is less OOF. So the red dot in the background is more blurred on the K-5 (in any case those background lenses are visibly more blurred in the K-5 shot).
focus was locked on the same position in every shot, the "M" in "Pentax-M". I have not configured either body for back/front focus, but maybe we are seeing evidence of that?
02-07-2014, 11:00 AM   #36
Pentaxian

I'm shooting a band at the end of the month....and really I have no idea which camera to use out of the three...
I made mention of DR at high ISO. You are shooting bands in harsh, high contrast situations usually. A camera that can capture more light at the higher ISO has the advantage, IMHO. You can apply noise reduction to all the cameras but more DR is inherent. A camera with a D4 sensor perhaps would make for a good band camera.
02-07-2014, 11:11 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I made mention of DR at high ISO. You are shooting bands in harsh, high contrast situations usually. A camera that can capture more light at the higher ISO has the advantage, IMHO. You can apply noise reduction to all the cameras but more DR is inherent. A camera with a D4 sensor perhaps would make for a good band camera.

Yes the D4 would be a dream to own for band shooting, and if I had $6000 I would have jumped on it. But I gotta work with what I got

The K3 and D800 will do just fine I'm sure
02-07-2014, 11:13 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Yes the D4 would be a dream to own for band shooting, and if I had $6000 I would have jumped on it. But I gotta work with what I got

The K3 and D800 will do just fine I'm sure
Actually, you can get it for much less in a different body.

02-07-2014, 11:15 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Well if anything this thread has help assure me that I am making a good decision with the K-3. I feel like it will be a big upgrade from my K-7. I feel like the K-3 handles the noise just as well, if not better (it holds the detail, which is more important to me) and the AWB from the K-3 is far more accurate. There are far to many Pros for the K-3 vs. the K-5. I think it is worth the extra $$
02-07-2014, 11:19 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Actually, you can get it for much less in a different body.

Lol yup I can!

---------- Post added 02-07-2014 at 11:19 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by j2photos Quote
Well if anything this thread has help assure me that I am making a good decision with the K-3. I feel like it will be a big upgrade from my K-7. I feel like the K-3 handles the noise just as well, if not better (it holds the detail, which is more important to me) and the AWB from the K-3 is far more accurate. There are far to many Pros for the K-3 vs. the K-5. I think it is worth the extra $$

The AF system is glorious as well!!
02-07-2014, 11:21 AM   #41
Pentaxian

focus was locked on the same position in every shot, the "M" in "Pentax-M". I have not configured either body for back/front focus, but maybe we are seeing evidence of that?
Yes. I've only looked in detail at the ISO 8000 shots, but my guess is that the K-5 is focussed very slightly in front of the M, while the K-3 might be locked slightly in back of it.
02-07-2014, 11:37 AM   #42
Pentaxian

Noise in high ISO is a secondary consideration for me. I'm more interested in the dynamic range you can capture at high ISO.
unfortunately noise at high iso is a huge concern for me. trying to remove noise and still keep fine texture in feathers and fur is frustrating.
although the images can be construed as reassuring, they are taken of relatively smooth objects where keeping fine details is not critical.

all the dynamic range in the world won't help if the bird/bear/wolf looks like its made of plastic
02-07-2014, 11:45 AM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
all the dynamic range in the world won't help if the bird/bear/wolf looks like its made of plastic
But sensors that capture more DR at high ISO also have less noise too.
02-07-2014, 12:08 PM   #44
Pentaxian

Thanks for those..... you're obviously having way too much fun... it's amazing how time consuming these things can get to be.
02-07-2014, 08:47 PM   #45
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
It is a known fact that the K-5 has non-defeatable NR at ISO's above 1600. To even the playing field, you have to add NR to the K-3 photo.
Is this also true of the K-5 IIs?