Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
12-14-2017, 06:30 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So far my K50/18-135mm combo is just about right for me. The only limitations in taking great pics is me Until I think updating my firmware will lead to noticeable improvements in my photography, I think I'll not run the risk of screwing up my camera operations. I guess the majority of camera users are like me and just don't bother. Maybe I'm wrong.

02-03-2018, 02:30 AM   #32

Photos: Gallery
I did a firmware update on my K-3 the other day and was a bit unsure on how I would go? i made sure i had a full battery and everything! i had not done it since V1.03.
My screen went blank and did not say "completed" once it had been completed so i was affraid to turn off the camera incase it was still uploading important data.
07-29-2018, 06:31 AM   #33

Excellent - I posted this question before checking this post - my error - thanks - I now have the update I needed.
07-29-2018, 09:38 AM   #34

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If you're looking to upgrade your firmware but don't know how to go about it, here's a video tutorial that we've just put together:

How to Upgrade Firmware in a Pentax DSLR - YouTube

The latest firmware updates can be downloaded here:
Pentax Firmware Updates - PentaxForums.com Homepage Blog

Subscribe to the RSS feed to stay on top of the updates as they come out:
Pentax Firmware
This is very helpful, thanks!

12-09-2020, 01:54 AM   #35

It's a shame Ricoh stops firmware development for released products pretty quickly. For my K-5IIs the latest firmware upgrade has been released in 2014, the camera itself being released in 2012.
09-05-2022, 01:56 PM   #36

Okay here we go guys, I have a couple of wrinkles. First I do not have a SD card available only a SDHC. Is there a workaround for this? Secondly the computer I use is running Linux but I don't see a download for that.
09-05-2022, 02:01 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jimhi Quote
Okay here we go guys, I have a couple of wrinkles. First I do not have a SD card available only a SDHC. Is there a workaround for this? Secondly the computer I use is running Linux but I don't see a download for that.
I’m uncertain of the problem with the SDHC card: if your camera body recognises it, I wouldn’t have thought that a firmware update would have been a problem. Is the problem actually that the camera won’t recognise it?

Secondly, I have never seen a Linux version of the Ricoh/Pentax firmware, so I imagine you’ll have to find a Windows or MacOS computer to download to, or run Windows emulation on your Linux machine.

09-05-2022, 02:12 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The MacWin version of the firmware works fine on my Linux box. It has to unzip to a format usable to the camera so it should not matter which version you get.
01-21-2023, 01:22 PM   #39
Forum Member

Hi I am trying to update my k3 for the first time , it will not go into update mode when I first press the menu button and then turn the Camera on any suggestions would be appreciated Thanks Rob
01-21-2023, 03:42 PM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ACHEBONE Quote
Hi I am trying to update my k3 for the first time , it will not go into update mode when I first press the menu button and then turn the Camera on any suggestions would be appreciated Thanks Rob
Initial suggestion is that you do not have the fwdc220b.bin file, which should have been extracted from the download, in the root of the SD card, which should be in slot 1.
Note that the download page states "The download file is self-extracting" … this, of course, is incorrect for a zip file, you'll need to "open" it yourself and copy the contents to the SD card.
01-21-2023, 05:09 PM   #41
Forum Member

Thanks I have copied fwdc220b 8.bin to my sd and its in slot one, still no response from the k3 to upload when I hit the menu and then turn it on . Cheers Rob
01-21-2023, 06:42 PM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ACHEBONE Quote
Thanks I have copied fwdc220b 8.bin to my sd and its in slot one, still no response from the k3 to upload when I hit the menu and then turn it on . Cheers Rob
Not hit the button, try holding the menu button (keep it pressed) while turning camera on.
11-01-2023, 10:23 AM   #43

If you're looking to upgrade your firmware but don't know how to go about it, here's a video tutorial that we've just put together:

How to Upgrade Firmware in a Pentax DSLR - YouTube

The latest firmware updates can be downloaded here:
Pentax Firmware Updates - PentaxForums.com Homepage Blog

Subscribe to the RSS feed to stay on top of the updates as they come out:
Pentax Firmware
Hi Adam,

I'm not sure if this is the most recent firmware upgrade tutorial or not. If not can you post a link for me & others please? This post is almost 10 years old. Thank you.
11-01-2023, 07:50 PM   #44
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ludditE* Quote
Hi Adam,

I'm not sure if this is the most recent firmware upgrade tutorial or not. If not can you post a link for me & others please? This post is almost 10 years old. Thank you.
It is- the process hasn't changed over the years

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-03-2023, 04:49 AM   #45

It is- the process hasn't changed over the years
thank you.