Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2014, 02:39 PM - 6 Likes   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax DSLR Firmware Update Guide

If you're looking to upgrade your firmware but don't know how to go about it, here's a video tutorial that we've just put together:

The latest firmware updates can be downloaded here:
Pentax Firmware Updates - PentaxForums.com Homepage Blog

Subscribe to the RSS feed to stay on top of the updates as they come out:
Pentax Firmware

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-06-2014, 03:33 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Adam. May I suggest a sticky under the beginners section so this can be found easily. As you know it is an often asked question.
02-06-2014, 04:26 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Just added it to the resources sticky in the beginner forum, and I think I'll stick it here also. I'm sure lots of users will find the video helpful because there's also a troubleshooting section at the end.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-06-2014, 06:28 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Excellent tutorial, thanks!

02-06-2014, 08:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Thanks Adam, Great video.
02-11-2014, 01:48 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
You're welcome guys

Adam

03-14-2014, 03:54 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery
I did it ok was pretty quick really.

04-09-2014, 09:31 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have an older Pentax K20D. Are there firmware upgrades for it? I have not ever upgraded anything on that camera. Or should I leave well enough alone?
04-09-2014, 02:56 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Susinok Quote
I have an older Pentax K20D. Are there firmware upgrades for it? I have not ever upgraded anything on that camera. Or should I leave well enough alone?
Yes there are, but the fixes are minor:
Latest K20D Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING

The video guide above still applies.

Adam

06-25-2014, 06:40 AM   #10

Photos: Gallery
I know the camera must stay on during the update (and therefore needs a fully charged battery). During normal use (taking pictures), the camera (K-50) turns itself off after a minute of non-use. Does the update activity keep the camera on? Or do I need to reset something?

Edit: I was told the camera will stay on.

Last edited by EllenJ; 06-25-2014 at 12:40 PM.
08-05-2014, 12:35 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Stuff can go wrong on firmware upgrade

You can follow every step correctly on firmware and still ruin your camera. It happened with my K-5ii, which is still out to CRIS waiting repair. Pentax finally agreed to cover labor, but charging around $150 for ruined motherboard. I have upgraded firmware on several different Pentax cameras with no problem, and then this happened. Question: Will Pentax, CRIS, Eric, or anyone do a guaranteed firmware upgrade on cameras and take responsibility for any damages?
08-12-2014, 09:13 AM   #12

Thanks for the gen on this. I just updated mine a few moments ago with no issues.

It did not say 'update complete' or anything like that. The screen went totally blank so I left it a few minutes before turning it off and on and it's fine
10-23-2014, 06:24 AM - 1 Like   #13
Forum Member

Hey I have a question. Does this have to be specifically a SD *HC* card? I have a SD XC and my understanding was that it was just an extended capacity from the SD HC. But when I power on with menu it says, cannot use this card.
Now it is a SD mini in an adapter...So I need to know which to go buy. We use the mini's around here much more than the standard cards...
Thanks!
11-02-2014, 07:58 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Cameras sometimes do not like cards in adapters. Make sure the lock is off. SDXC should work.
11-02-2014, 08:14 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Warning!!

Be sure and read the instructions over carefully. Make sure you understand every point. Than make sure you follow them exactly! Be sure you use a genuine Pentax battery instead of an aftermarket battery. If you do this, chances you will be okay. However, I followed my own instructions exactly and still bricked my K-5II!

I would never instally firmware again. I would send it off to Eric or Prestige for CLA and firmware installation, paying them to take the risk instead of taking the risk myself. I say this even though I have successfully changed firmware on K-1-, K-20, K-01, and K-7.

Good luck!