02-07-2014, 04:15 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
water proof cover

there is a recent post in Linkedin
Weather protection while shooting

Kevin Davis
Photographer, videographer, author

What do you folks use to protect your camera + lens from rain or snow? I ask because I was using a Shutter Hat and recently lost it. I was never entirely satisfied with the fit of that product; so...

There are loads of replies about think tank cover and so on but,

can you imagine how good it felt to post this reply.

To answer your question , I use nothing. I don't want to appear smug but since I have for years used Pentax kit I am in the lucky position of having water resistant bodies and lenses,
which I have used regularly in the rain unprotected when users of other brands have disappeared under assorted pre made bags cover bags and bin liners or give up and go for cover.
I still have even with lens hoods the problem of water spots on the lens surface to watch out for and dry off but thats the only problem.

Last edited by adwb; 02-16-2014 at 03:06 AM.
02-07-2014, 07:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thread moved. General Talk section is for non-photographic topics only.
02-07-2014, 07:17 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
it is pretty liberating to just pop on the 18-135 and not worry about rain or snow.
02-07-2014, 07:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The only weather proof cover I've ever used are the letters DA*, AW, or WR.

-Heie

02-07-2014, 07:59 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
The only weather proof cover I've ever used are the letters DA*, AW, or WR.

-Heie
This made me smile!
02-07-2014, 08:13 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Having used a rainsleeve before with my Sigma 17-70 and k-x, I can attest that it'd have been a lot better if I used a WR combo. Reason being is that the rainsleeve is cumbersome and retains heat, making me sweat and sticking to my hand. In addition, water eventually invaded the sleeve anyways - not from the eyepiece hole or the lens hole, but from where the sleeve went up my arm. When my windbreaker's waterproofness failed, rain eventually went down my arm and into the sleeve without my noticing. So when I had my camera lowered, the water eventually pooled into the sleeve and shorted my k-x.
02-07-2014, 03:18 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
these is a recent post in Linkedin

Kevin Davis

What do you folks use to protect your camera + lens from rain or snow? I ask because I was using a Shutter Hat and recently lost it. I was never entirely satisfied with the fit of that product; so...

To answer your question , I use nothing. I don't want to appear smug but since I have for years used Pentax kit I am in the lucky position of having water resistant bodies and lenses,
which I have used regularly in the rain unprotected when users of other brands have disappeared under assorted pre made bags cover bags and bin liners or give up and go for cover.
I still have even with lens hoods the problem of water spots on the lens surface to watch out for and dry off but thats the only problem.
What replies , if any, did you get?

02-07-2014, 04:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Last time I looked stunning silence , but given time difference,tomorrow morning (GMT) will tell
02-07-2014, 04:25 PM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I just posted this in another thread the other day...That's when WR tools kick in.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/122-lens-clubs/205286d1391547...lub-wr-kit.jpg
02-07-2014, 07:39 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My K10D + DA* 16-50 (Heie uses that lens among others) survived under a 100 foot waterfall. The hardest problem was keeping the eyepiece clear of water so I could see what I was looking at. The lens hood covered the front of the lens, but the back side was rather damp. So was I. Camera and lens are still working fine, and that was in 2009.
02-16-2014, 09:06 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
there is a recent post in Linkedin

Kevin Davis

Responses like "I don't use anything because I have WR cameras and lenses" probably aren't particularly helpful or informative for most readers of that thread . Certainly Pentax users have an advantage in terms of having several WR lenses, even relatively low-cost models. But Pentax users have some disadvantages to deal with as well. If a Pentax users posts a question about wildlife, replies like "well, just use the 600/4" wouldn't be particularly helpful.

Even here on the forum we have reports of WR failing. There is no such thing as non-destructive WR testing - at least not if the test fails. So I really don't understand why, even with WR, most people wouldn't want to take other precautions to try to keep gear as dry as possible.