Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2014, 08:56 AM   #1

In funk. Lost Mojo. Need help

I am trying to reconnect with my love for photography. I had a lot of major life changing events in the last year, including my 1st child, and photography took a back seat (although I have plenty of pics of the litter bugger).

This may sound odd or too philosophical, but I am just having a hard time reconnecting with the "passion" of photography. That innate desire to grab your camera and take it everywhere; seeing potential photos in everything in your daily life. When I do pick up a camera, I feel like I did back when I was a beginner and don't know what to shoot, or wind up deleting everything I take for not being up to my standards.

Am I crazy? Anyone else go through this? How do I re-discover the passion? (The easier answer is to buy some new gear....but I would like more motivational/inspiring respones). Thanks.

02-07-2014, 09:07 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Start taking picture of your family. Do a picture a day of your child and print them into a book at the end of the first year.
02-07-2014, 09:18 AM   #3
Pentaxian

One of the things that got me into photography in the first place was the desire to take images of what I was seeing in my other big hobby, astronomy. Do you have some other hobbies or regular activities that you could combine with photography?
02-07-2014, 09:20 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
One of the things that got me into photography in the first place was the desire to take images of what I was seeing in my other big hobby, astronomy. Do you have some other hobbies or regular activities that you could combine with photography?
Yes. Mountain biking. I got a Q this fall for that purpose. Maybe I am just in the winter dolrums..

02-07-2014, 09:23 AM   #5
Site Supporter

I wasn't able to do this and will always regret it.
Take a pic of your baby laying down same pose same background (white sheet), once a week.
As time progresses you can increase interval to once a month and then as they grow, quarterly,
and you can change the background to a white sheet with them standing.

You'll end up with a slideshow of what they looked with their entire lives.
02-07-2014, 09:23 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm right there with you. My little girl arrived 18 months ago, that and just recently starting a Master's degree is a real disruption to my typical photography. I tend to try to pick one or two Saturday mornings a month, pick a location, get up at 5:00-6:00am and take pictures for 3 hours. Its alot less time at photography, its less spontaneous, but it does allow me time exclusively for taking pictures, to contemplate them and look for a couple good exposures. I've also started shooting film, which results in more anticipation of getting the exposures back (and more disappointment when the pictures suck!). I find this also result in me thinking about a small project or photograph that I want to achieve, rather than always feeling let down that I'm not taking pictures.
02-07-2014, 09:25 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Macro photography action figures... I'm sure your kid has a few action figures around ... or puppets or any kind of toy really.
You can make some fun stuff while have a blast with your kid

https://www.google.ca/search?q=macro+photography+action+figures&source=lnms&...w=1236&bih=627
02-07-2014, 09:37 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Why do you need to reconnect with it? Isn't the photo-mojo everything? If you don't have it, move on to other kinds of mojos.

02-07-2014, 09:37 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxian_tmb Quote
I am trying to reconnect with my love for photography. I had a lot of major life changing events in the last year, including my 1st child, and photography took a back seat (although I have plenty of pics of the litter bugger).

This may sound odd or too philosophical, but I am just having a hard time reconnecting with the "passion" of photography. That innate desire to grab your camera and take it everywhere; seeing potential photos in everything in your daily life. When I do pick up a camera, I feel like I did back when I was a beginner and don't know what to shoot, or wind up deleting everything I take for not being up to my standards.

Am I crazy? Anyone else go through this? How do I re-discover the passion? (The easier answer is to buy some new gear....but I would like more motivational/inspiring respones). Thanks.
Marriage & kids usually change things in life...been there, done that.
If you truly have a passion for photography it won't change but suddenly you won't be able to just pick up and go places like you used to.
With a new family, you will have to schedule time to do the things you want. Make some time for yourself each week to go places that interest you.
Remember that we all have ups and downs, you are not alone. It will work out.

ps....buying new gear always helps
02-07-2014, 09:40 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by peterjcb Quote

ps....buying new gear always helps
LIES!!!
02-07-2014, 09:46 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxian_tmb Quote
That innate desire to grab your camera and take it everywhere; seeing potential photos in everything in your daily life.
If it makes you feel any better, I'm pretty active and reasonably advanced as a photographer, and I've NEVER felt the urge to take my camera everywhere with me, or shoot everything in my daily life. That's just not how I shoot.

My camera stays at home in it's 40 pound bag unless I'm planning to shoot something. But then when I DO plan to shoot something, I literally plan it. I show up to the shoot prepared for every contingency. I get the shots I planned on getting, and I go home and process them. Doesn't mater if I'm shooting film or digital, I approach it the same way. I don't burn through digital frames, I treat them like I'm still paying for each one.

If I'm out and about and see a beautiful sunset without my camera nearby, I stop an enjoy the sunset. If I see some woodland creature frolicking in a field, I'll stop and watch them play. Sometimes I'll do the same even with my camera handy.

I guess it's just a different philosophy behind shooting, and I'm not saying my way is right for everyone, but it works for me. For me, photography is a deliberate exercise. I think what I'm trying to say is don't feel bad.
02-07-2014, 11:05 AM   #12
MSL
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
What you describe is perfectly normal. Had kid #X 18 months ago. None of my kids sleep properly so I'm a zombie much of the time, and certainly busy with the daily tasks of life. Frustrated that when I do take my camera out, I don't have the time to compose a lot of shots. But I'm trying not to let that bother me. I will still take the time whenever I'm walking to compose photos, even if I don't have a camera in hand. It is a different way to view the world, and you can come to appreciate beauty and symmetry and other interesting aspect that a non-photographer probably wouldn't see.
02-07-2014, 11:22 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I think we all hit learning plateaus. I kinda think of it as being stuck on high-center. It takes a little effort to get unstuck and start moving again, but it's possible. I hit a major point like yours and what I did was force myself to shoot. I went out to areas that I used to like to shoot, took out my camera, and told myself to shoot anything that even remotely appealed to me. What happened was that, once I took a pic or two, I'd see ways to improve it...so I'd move around...get closer...get lower...and take some more pics. Then I'd see a way to improve those pics...so I'd take a few more. Before I knew it, I was engrossed in shooting again. It's like overcoming inertia. Your natural tendency right now is to do nothing, so you have to give yourself a nudge to get going again. A key point is to shoot to please nobody but yourself. Don't think about what people might say if you show these pics to them because, the truth is, they may never get to see them! So give yourself permission to shoot pics you think you might like, regardless of whether they might have any real value. Shoot now...decide later.
02-07-2014, 11:33 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Whenever I'm feeling uninspired, I'll go browse through the photos off one of the Flickr groups I'm part. I usually see photos that inspire me to grab a camera and try something new.
Learning always inspires me more than anything.
02-07-2014, 11:36 AM   #15
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Try something you've never done before. For me, learning a new trick or technique always adds another bar to my passion battery.